I need some Sci-Fi suggestions

Lyric Suite

David Brin (Startide Rising/Sundiver)

Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. I picked up the hardcover years ago in some bargin bin and I loved it. editI tried reading some of Niven's other works and have yet to find another novel of his I liked as much. Just me tho.

Firstly, even though Alan Dean Foster spends most of his time doing novelisations of SF films (they may have been better completely ignored and forgotten), he did write some good short stories early in his career, and I can personally vouch for The Man Who Ruled The Universe.

I like his Icerigger books and most of the Flinx & Pip short novels. And Prism. Haven't read too much else of his tho, and I generally avoid reading movie-adaptations. :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Some of Heinlein's works are pretty good. Starship Troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land, for instance.

Aldous Huxley's Brave New World is a classic, too.

Ender's Game is a must have in any sci-fi library as well. The sequels aren't bad, but they aren't in the same vein.

I don't know if you'd consider 1984 as sci-fi, but it's a great book either way.

I should be able to come up with loads of this stuff, but my memory just sucks. I haven't slept much either, so I'll probably add some more later.

Don't forget Job and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress also by Heinlein.

I think the parallel series OSC wrote, the 'Shadows' were pretty awesome. I liked Bean as a protagonist better than Ender.

joe haldeman: tarna already mentioned, but we can only recommend "forever war" as we thought "forever peace" and "tools of the trade" were uninspired... but "forever war" is fantastic even so.

Forever Peace sucked in the worst of ways. The problem with reading Forever War is that nothing else he wrote could hold a candle to it. Mindbridge wasn't bad though. There is a sequel to Forever War called Forever Free that picks up where the first book ended. It's okay at best. Look for it second hand though. :thumbsup:

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

-Sphere by Michael Chrighton is a really good one i think.

-I'll second the Starship Troopers book by Heinlein. The movie is good in its own way, though, different. (the book is better)

-Halo: the Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund. First of all, the title may put people off to this book (since it is a "prelude" to Bungie's "Halo" game), so I must dispell any misgivings that this book is automatically lame, because it is not. If you liked Starship Troopers, you'd probably like this one.

-Ender's Game is once again recommended here. if you liked it so much after you read it that you have an undismissable desire to read another book in the series, i think the next one you should read is Ender's Shadow.

-i also recommend 1984. somewhat similar but shorter is Farenheit 451 by ray bradbury. both are good books respectively.

Couple of unusual ones.

The Death of Grass - John Christopher

A little bit Day of the Triffids. But also very good indeed. Looks at the consequences to society of a disease whch destroys all the grass family, including wheat, rye, and rice. Worldwide.

When Gravity Fails - George Alec Effinger

I was overjoyed to see this title has been reprinted recently, with blurb on the cover to indicate it is finally getting the recognition it deserves. GAE is one of the best sci-fi writers I've ever read, for the humanity of his characetrs, and the the (admittedly intermittent) originality of his ideas and settings. When Gravity Fails is the first in the Budayeen trilogy, which terminated with the author's death from cancer. And in many ways it echoes the desperate energy, despair and hope one finds in late work by Bill Hicks.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'll second the "Hyperion" suggestion, and recommend "Ilium" by the same author. It's a pretty odd book; you've got Greek gods on Olympos (Mons), sentient robots arguing about the homo-erotic subtext in Shakespeares sonnets and a post-apocalyptic Earth with possibly the best reason ever for destroying the internet.

master of my domain

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

I'll second the "Hyperion" suggestion, and recommend "Ilium" by the same author. It's a pretty odd book; you've got Greek gods on Olympos (Mons), sentient robots arguing about the homo-erotic subtext in Shakespeares sonnets and a post-apocalyptic Earth with possibly the best reason ever for destroying the internet.

:-

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I do not know about fiction movies, but Farenhiet 451 and Angels and Demons are quite good.

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]