MCA does the 'Codex

I got tired of reading around the part where that Serge guy rants on how New Reno doesn't fit into a post-apocaliptic setting. I thought this was supposed to be an interview?

Which is only a more direct way of saying something that's often expressed here as well. Only difference is that here people try to mellow it somewhat so they won't get moderated.

Subtlety and tip-toeing are what make overly heated discussions fun. The language filter is great for that too, when someone tries to respond with profanity only to have their post edited into a truckload of asterisks.

Profanity + lack of filter = schoolyard brawls icon3.gif

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

"but still" what?  how many years did we have to listen to vis telling us he would make a REAL nwn module?  this kinda thing by vd ain't an exception.  sees something like this at almost every board.  some joker, or group of jokers, claims they is gonna Do It Right.  sometimes they even slap something together... but such masterpieces rarely meets light of day.

Well, but still it is admirable when people try to change things which in their opinion are wrong (though I don't really admire Charles Manson :-). At least we'll experience how the perfect, uncomromised RPG looks like according to certain Codex standards. Excuse my lack of long-term knowledge of the Codex' history but I'm not aware who "vis" is. Do you mean Visceris, the local poster here ?

then how can you disagree with Gromnir?  its vol v. codexers.  sure, he is a regular and sure he spits and fumes likes the most rabid codexer, but he is not one of the codexers.  as we recall, the admin hung some sorta "retarded" label on his account... not sure if it is still there.  so where is it you disagree with Gromnir?

Yeah, the "dumb****" label is cheap and it comprimises their self-proclaimed free speech policy. No argument there, admins on power trips are always scary. I mildly disagreed because it was my (obviously failed) attempt at humour to point out that sometimes certain Codexers behave like an old bickering couple. They hate each other but yet they share so many similarities and fail to see it. :blink:

yeah, they stand up and fight each other all day long.

It's a discussion board and although one can argue about the quality of said discussion there one can't deny that they do the term "discussion" board justice. :blink:

Edited by Antagonist

I think those whining about the Codex here should look in the mirror, and admit they are exactly like them in every way that matters.

Opinionated, looking down upon those who they disagree with them, etc., etc.

The Codex is really no different from 99% of forums except since it's not some official company site the rules are a lot more lax which is a good thing.

As for the title they gave me. They gave it to me as some form of silly punishment; but I accept it as an honour.

Besdies, as dumb and pathetic as the interviewer was; at least MCA didn't budge. Only FAKE FO fans make the case that NR doesn't fit the setting or sucks. And, really, they should stop overrating PST. Even MCA found himself ina position during the interview of being a counterbalance in knocking down his own game a peg or two. Go figure.

Overall, the new series of interviews there are cool even if the Codex doesn't know how to interview. Afterall, an interview shouldn't be about calling the interviewee stupid, wrong, and a sellout.

Game over.

For now...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I got tired of reading around the part where that Serge guy rants on how New Reno doesn't fit into a post-apocaliptic setting. I thought this was supposed to be an interview?

Plus his rants on organized crime were completely incorrect. Organize crime has existed for as long as laws have. If he meant stereotypical italian mafia types, then it might've had more merit, though not much.

I pretty much stopped reading at this point also.

Subtlety and tip-toeing are what make overly heated discussions fun.

Discussions are often fun because among other things they promote challenging established opinions and thoughts; not because someone throws f-bombs around or because someone is using their softcore version of insults that elude moderating guidelines. I'd argue it's more fun to convey someone's ideas trough posts which find themselves dumped into a myriad of any of the afforementioned things without resorting to them, but like many other things it's subjective.

Profanity + lack of filter = schoolyard brawls

Childish bickering + mellow moderating guidelines = Kindergarten snoozefests.

However, I am not the one calling this place a "kindergarten snorefest."

Funny, neither am I.

I was simply reminding you that you don't have to stay here, since this place is so boring to you, and all that.

Still funny, I didn't said it was boring.

Is this the right time to remind you that the context of my post in regards to NumbersMan was dealing with the deficiencies found in certain types of discussions rather than where the discussions themselves take place?

Serge wasn't even willing to accept MCA's criticisms for it, even though he made the damn thing.

What exactly are you talking about?

I wish Serge would have concentrated on debating essential RPG designs from an abstract point of view instead of losing himself in discussing past games.

The problem with discussing abstract stuff is that it doesn't always give you an accurate picture of a developer. Discussing features in general, and discussing implemented features that have good sides / bad sides are two different things. The influence system is a good example of that.

This interview was about Chris' development as an artist. I compared his earlier work to his later work, discussing the difference. That should tell you what to expect and why.

Perhaps, and this is just me its time for the codex to come out of its own 'vault' and stop living in the past? I have no issue you want more indepth CRPGs. ermm so do the vast majority of us, so your stance is nothing most of the unwashed masses wants.

However this self important pedistal you put yourself on as if your invented this idea that diablo isnt a "real" CRPG or what not is not anything new. I see the same complaints on the codex I see on nwn2news, the bioware forums, here and a dozen other places. You just seem to think you are the official carrier of the banner because the rest of us are too stupid to ask or want or need reminding for such on our own.

I beg to differ.

MCA got all those cartoons right on the money.

M2C

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Throwing flames and telling "f*ck you" isn't something that i want when debating at a forum IMO.

But being told by someone that your points of view could also be considered as stupid or completely lacking in taste in a subtler way is?

You're focusing on their use of profanity while missing the point of the post.

Their forums are always a no-so-subtle reminder why free for all forums dont work on the net. Too many kids on daddys PC trying to act more important then they are or people why let the anoymous nature of the net go to their head to say things they would never do face to face. Either way its not a 'discussion' over their is a screaming match and the loudest 'wins'.

IMO if your vocabulary is that limited the majority of your post is dropping profanity it shows me at least a lack of debate and lanuage skills. And I have little patience for people who cant in a generally civil manor express their views without calling me various unmentionables every other sentance.

The codex is a great example of a site, of what not to do. And I am reminded of such each and every time I visit it, as rare as that is.

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Wait, didn't you get banned from the Bioboards for expressing your opinion or something?

And what does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

I have my issues with the bioware forums but thats a compleatly seperate topic.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

No. He got banned because someone complained about him saying something that they took personally. Afterall, Strauss spends a lot of his posts complaining about BIoware on the boards. Besides, did you miss the part where the ban was temporary and the issue was resolved?

And, as he just mentioned, different issue.

Edited by Volourn

Serge wasn't even willing to accept MCA's criticisms for it, even though he made the damn thing.

What exactly are you talking about?

He (you?) was quick to defend PST from criticisms of its own creator. It was like MCA wasn't even allowed to see the game in a bad light. The "one of the best games of all time" argument was hilarious. Gromnir's point of homogeneity was spot on.

Perhaps, and this is just me its time for the codex to come out of its own 'vault' and stop living in the past?

What past?

...so your stance is nothing most of the unwashed masses wants.

I beg to differ. The unwashed masses are perfectly ok with inferior games, which explains why there aren't that many indepth RPGs in development at the moment.

However this self important pedistal you put yourself on ...

Rhomal, how about you won't make any idiotic assumptions about the Codex and I won't make any idiotic assumptions about your site?

...as if your invented this idea that diablo isnt a "real" CRPG

We did?

You just seem to think you are the official carrier of the banner because the rest of us are too stupid to ask or want or need reminding for such on our own.

More bull****.

MCA got all those cartoons right on the money.

We posted them, didn't we? As funny as that sounds, we can respect someone's opinion, even if we disagree, which is more than I can say about this forum.

Just because you don't ban people for having a different opinion doesn't mean you repsect said opinion. Afterall, you more or less called MCA stupid and a sell out (subtley of course; don't want to be too obvious) all because he disagreed with you on various issues.

Their forums are always a no-so-subtle reminder why free for all forums dont work on the net.

Examples of this, perhaps?

On the contrary, I find the amount of time, press and effort surrounding the site is a perfect example of why 'free for all' forums work just fine in their own environment and with their own rules. Would they work if they were moderated forums which enforce given sets of rules and behaviours like the Obsidian boards? Probably not, but quite probably neither would the Obsidian boards if the same rules and environment that exist in the Codex were promoted here. But none of that is particularly indicative of any failings of the forums themselves, but rather of trying to submit them to different hierarchy and rules.

Too many kids on daddys PC trying to act more important then they are or people why let the anoymous nature of the net go to their head to say things they would never do face to face. Either way its not a 'discussion' over their is a screaming match and the loudest 'wins'.

You're describing attitudes which are prevalent all over the net on a myriad of communicational channels, and are not exclusive to the Codex.

IMO if your vocabulary is that limited the majority of your post is dropping profanity it shows me at least a lack of debate and lanuage skills. And I have little patience for people who cant in a generally civil manor express their views without calling me various unmentionables every other sentance.

You're free to associate the use of profanity with a lack of language or conversational skills but I see no reason as to why one must lead to the other.

He (you?) was quick to defend PST from criticisms of its own creator.  It was like MCA wasn't even allowed to see the game in a bad light.

It's called a discussion. We were talking about PST and ...[dramatic drumroll]... we disagreed. OMG! Can you believe it?

The "one of the best games of all time" argument was hilarious.

Really? Having an opinion is considered hilarious here?