A question...

All right, so it just crossed my mind for no particular reason - in the OT, Obiwan tells Luke to "use his feelings" or reach out with his feelings or something along those lines, when he's got that helmet over his head and swinging that lightsabre around. Yet... the Jedi code from K1&2 says "there is no emotion, there is peace" - right, so this is a contradiction right?

Vader tells Luke to give into his feelings of hate, rage, anger, etc... so I am a bit confused. Was this some sort of oversight, or deliberate? Moreover, Bastila scolds Revan on a daily/hourly/momentary basis for being overly emotional. (or so it seems to me - slight exageration, maybe) so... who is right? ;)

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

Feelings are emotions, unless I'm mistaken. Granted, touch as in feel isn't an emotion, but... unless I'm really missing something, what you feel is directly linked to one's emotions. How one feels. "How are you feeling," for example. It could be "sad, good, bad" what have you. Unless I'm making the wrong connection entirely...

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

"I've got a bad feeling about this"

Star Wars most used line... and absolutely no emotion in the feeling...  :-"

If you say so. I'll take your word for it. :)

My take on it is, the Jedi Code of "There is no emotion, there is peace," is something that a Jedi strives to maintain every day. It's something to try and live by, it's not like a force power that you "get" once you become a Jedi.

Vader tells luke to give into his feelings, because doing so makes it easier for Luke to succumb to the darkside, which is what Vader wants. Bastila constantly nags Revan about it, because she knows who he really is and doesn't want him to become a dark lord again. What Obi-Wan said was correct...from a certain point of view. ;) Obi-Wan's intent was for Luke to open himself to the Force and reach out with his perceptions, not his emotions... but watching the movie, don't you think it just sounds better than having him say, "Reach out with your perceptions Luke." ?

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

"I've got a bad feeling about this"

Star Wars most used line... and absolutely no emotion in the feeling...  :thumbsup:"

lol

Compasion

Mercy

the sith say that the jei are these things.

now what do u supose those are??

They are emonions.

A droid will not FEEL any of those unlass u prog it to respond to that scenarion

Now if Jedis nad no emotions then why would they grat mercy, its ilogical, (Jedis mind if he has no emonions)he is my enemy , i kill him, then no more enemy, mecy complicates things

lol i mean it doesnt make sense, WHY WOULD THE JEDI HELP PLP IF THEY DONT HAVE EMOTIONS

why would they care

if he sees a child being assaulted by some thugs, why would he interfere UNLESS he FEELS simpathy for the child

lol since simpathy is an emotion, and if jedi dont listen to them he wouldnt care now would he??

if he sees a child being assaulted by some thugs, why would he interfere UNLESS he FEELS simpathy for the child

Perhaps a sense of justice.

Look at Qui-Gon in Episode 1, he left Anakin's mother behind, although no doubt he did feel sympathy and could have easily taken them both along with him. He did what was "right", at least right according to slaver laws (or whatever) on Tatooine at the time.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Look at Qui-Gon in Episode 1, he left Anakin's mother behind, although no doubt he did feel sympathy and could have easily taken them both along with him. He did what was "right", at least right according to slaver laws (or whatever) on Tatooine at the time.

Justice is also an emotion, maybe u were thinking about the Law??

Justice is also an emotion, maybe u were thinking about the Law??

Justice is an emotion? :thumbsup:

Guy kills your friend, he get cought he goes to trial, he get off because of some technichality

you FEEL that justice was not served

justice has to do with your moral code, which is tied with your emotions(feelings)

since every1 has a diff moral code or lac off

My take on it is, the Jedi Code of "There is no emotion, there is peace," is something that a Jedi strives to maintain every day. It's something to try and live by, it's not like a force power that you "get" once you become a Jedi.

Vader tells luke to give into his feelings, because doing so makes it easier for Luke to succumb to the darkside, which is what Vader wants. Bastila constantly nags Revan about it, because she knows who he really is and doesn't want him to become a dark lord again. What Obi-Wan said was correct...from a certain point of view.  ;)  Obi-Wan's intent was for Luke to open himself to the Force and reach out with his perceptions, not his emotions... but watching the movie, don't you think it just sounds better than having him say, "Reach out with your perceptions Luke." ?

That makes sense, yes. And it's possible Bastilia's just a nag, like her mother - the darkside was just an excuse. o:);)

Guy kills your friend, he get cought he goes to trial, he get off because of some technichality

justice has to do with your moral code, which is tied with your emotions(feelings)

I'm not feeling justice in that example, I'm feeling anger and frustration.

Vader tells luke to give into his feelings, because doing so makes it easier for Luke to succumb to the darkside, which is what Vader wants. Bastila constantly nags Revan about it, because she knows who he really is and doesn't want him to become a dark lord again. What Obi-Wan said was correct...from a certain point of view.  ;)  Obi-Wan's intent was for Luke to open himself to the Force and reach out with his perceptions, not his emotions... but watching the movie, don't you think it just sounds better than having him say, "Reach out with your perceptions Luke." ?

That makes sense, yes. And it's possible Bastilia's just a nag, like her mother - the darkside was just an excuse. o:);)

That's also possible, yup. :D

I'm not feeling justice in that example, I'm feeling anger and frustration.

lol this sould be really simple o:)"

Why did the jedi think that it was unjust for the thugs to atack the child??

how do u know if something is just or unjust (right or wrong)-u evalute your FEELINGs on the matter

U cant know about justice if u dont have emotions(feelings) i mean if u dont feel u dont CARE

If u see a child killed, u can fell sad or happy(lol if ur a psychopath) but if u dont have any emotions u wont care earther way, the wind blowing harder could be something more important for u then the child

Edited by Keenon

The Jedi Code is WAY open to interpretation.

"There is no emotion, there is peace."

Okay. But, even the Jedi tell you that you should feel compassion. That single line, out of all other lines in the Jedi Code, really screw the Jedi up. After Exar Kun, they alter it to mean "Love is bad." It's an open-ended line that everybody just happens to take to mean "Emotion is bad", when it's that that separates the Jedi from the people they should protect.

Besides "Reach out with your feelings" could have easily just meant to reach out with his perceptions, like mr insomniac said. Besides, if you've ever been a karate super star, or good at anything, you know that, after a while of doing it, you don't think about it anymore. You just do it. You could probably do it blindfolded, if you practiced enough in the right way. That's 'feeling' your way through it, more or less, isn't it?

Ah, oh well...

:ph34r:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

Besides "Reach out with your feelings" could have easily just meant to reach out with his perceptions, like mr insomniac said. Besides, if you've ever been a karate super star, or good at anything, you know that, after a while of doing it, you don't think about it anymore. You just do it. You could probably do it blindfolded, if you practiced enough in the right way. That's 'feeling' your way through it, more or less, isn't it?

Ah, oh well...

:ph34r:

You're talking about muscle memory? Where one has trained so much that it is a reflex action?

Eh, kinda, but not really... Anybody ever wasted enough of their time to read those Pendragon books? In the one on Zadaa, I think it is, the guy gets trained at a warrior "boot camp" type thing, and during "dark fighting", he has to close his eyes and "reach out with his feelings", although in a much much much less metaphysical way: he just listens, smells, and feels the movement of air around him, or something like that.

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."