Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth

The good news that the PC version is still happening (Bethesda has confirmed this). The only reason why we will be able to find a PC version in stores real soon is because TheHoodedClaw, who was Lead Engineer on the project, stayed behind and made the finishing touches all on his own. For free. Why? Because he cares about DCotE a lot (those reading the official forum will have noticed this) and didn't want to disappoint those who have been waiting for so long for the PC version. However, do not expect any graphical tweaks or extras on your PC. This will be a straight port from the Xbox.

Someone give that TheHoodedClaw person a full time creative position! VAVLe, are you listening?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm interested in Call of... Er, Lovecratf's Green Thingie (can never spell it right), even though I have read very little of the original works. However I'm more interested in the game because of the way the interface was desgined; apparently it's less intrusive than other shooters and allow for a better seamless experience between player and gameworld.

Shooting horrifying creatures is just a bonus.

I'm interested in Call of... Er, Lovecratf's Green Thingie (can never spell it right), even though I have read very little of the original works. However I'm more interested in the game because of the way the interface was desgined; apparently it's less intrusive than other shooters and allow for a better seamless experience between player and gameworld.

Shooting horrifying creatures is just a bonus.

It's like Kong.

Which is a really fun if a terribly short game.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

"The good news that the PC version is still happening (Bethesda has confirmed this). The only reason why we will be able to find a PC version in stores real soon is because TheHoodedClaw, who was Lead Engineer on the project, stayed behind and made the finishing touches all on his own. For free. Why? Because he cares about DCotE a lot (those reading the official forum will have noticed this) and didn't want to disappoint those who have been waiting for so long for the PC version. However, do not expect any graphical tweaks or extras on your PC. This will be a straight port from the Xbox."

So that's how it happened, eh? I left the official forums late last year and never went back. I'm not one to bring up the whole pc vs console debate, because for the most part I don't care. But it was always a ****ty deal that a game that had always been something that pc fans followed faithfully for YEARS was turned into an xbox-only title at essentially the very last moment.

The way the talk was going at the forums at the time I left, I assumed that there woudl never be a pc version, and it looks like for the most part I would have been right.

Probably better an xbox-only title than vaporware, but still the whole thing sucked.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

This will be a straight port from the Xbox

Colour me dissapointed.

Seems CoC is only being released to recoup whatever costs they possibly can.

This news sucks. I won't be getting this then, barring some inspired review or such ... though the little info so far doesn't bode well at all.

Too bad. This could have been a breath of fresh air in an otherwise fetid landscape of homogenised and stagnant game filler.

How many PC franchises or original PC games have been killed by xbox - development now?

Edited by zer"0"

• 1 month later...

I just got this today against my better judgement. The lure of an official H.P. Lovecraft game was just too powerful. I have it for PC, since I have no Xbox.

I've got to say this is one of the most polished games I've ever played. Yes, it is a more or less straight port, the controls and the files show this (controls are pretty optimized for an Xbox controller but work just fine with the smallest amount of tweaking) there are higher resolutions, up to 1600x1200. I haven't really tried any of them though because my computer sucks at the moment.

It's a beautiful game though. Easily the scariest thing I've ever played, and I've played a lot. Some of the parts actually made me nauseous, and these weren't the gameplay parts, but the journal entries and written tidbits. When playing it though, there's just a general sense of unease and dread. I'm not sure exactly how they pulled it off, but the developers totally nailed the whole universe. The entire game has a very organic feel, even if some of the graphics aren't the greatest, but they're good mind you, prettier than most the stuff I'd played recently.

Man, I'm just kind of rambling. The point is, it's a very good game, and you're seriously missing out if you don't get it. No bugs so far, at all. Troika could learn a lot from whoever finished this.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Also I'm not sure what the problems with the gameplay mentioned are. The game is too hard I guess? I've been running around for six and a half hours now and I still don't have a weapon. The enemies are freaking infuriating. Pretty damn intelligent, all chasing me down, all calling for backup, all breaking down doors I've barricaded! :-

I feel very, very frail.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP