Hearts of Iron II: Doomsday - New Interview

Llyranor

Paradox' standalone addon to WW2 wargame ("RTS") Hearts of Iron II gets extra loving on Gamecloud. The game now covers 1936 to 1953 (Stalin's death).

http://www.gamecloud.com/article.php?article_id=3757

Intel and the editor sound like pretty neat additions.

"Yes, we will be testing a new concept where we release the entire game for a limited time to allow players enough freedom to experience any elements of the game rather than restrict the demo and tell player which parts of the game they should be testing out." Awesome!

"The game is pretty much finished and it will be shipping to stores April 4." This is one title I'm definitely picking up. Haha, Hearts of Iron II has pretty much dealt the final blow to conventional RTS games. I can't turn back anymore :huh:

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I don't fight it...I just give in.

It's winter 1941, and much of the Soviet Union has crumbled beneath me, as has the UK. Pretty much all of Europe is mine, just have to whoop-ass on Romania and Vichy France....Portugal still exists...but they have annoying VP, so it'll be a while for them.

It's an interesting game that literally lets you take control of any country that exists at the time of the scenario (1936, 1938, 1939, 1941, and 1944 scenarios exist). Though you might have limited fun playing as Tibet :lol:

You control research and production of your country, as well as trade and diplomacy. A wide variety of unit types exist, in land, sea, and the air. Doomsday is coming out soon, which includes the original HOI2, as well as some other neat features (spies!). It also includes a new scenario, as if WW3 against the Soviets was sparked shortly afterwards. It also extends the base game from 1947 to 1953.

is the game mainly combat? or is it like 50/50 in combat and management?

It's a pretty combat intensive game. Once the world goes to war, it pretty much doesn't stop until one side is defeated. Though it's not 100% combat all the time.

Not much fighting happens up north during the winter (because attackers get huge penalties).

A huge bulk of the management is managing your industry, as well as research.

is the game mainly combat? or is it like 50/50 in combat and management?

It's a pretty combat intensive game. Once the world goes to war, it pretty much doesn't stop until one side is defeated. Though it's not 100% combat all the time.

Not much fighting happens up north during the winter (because attackers get huge penalties).

A huge bulk of the management is managing your industry, as well as research.

sounds cool. i may have to play as finland, just to see if we ever had any chace of world domination >_< how is the learning curve? i'm struggling with CIV at the moment, and i might have to put it on hold if this is addictive enough.

I probably cannot comment on its learning curve. It was pretty easy for me, but I was used to their style from EU2.

IMO it is waaaaaaaaay easier than EU2 though.

Finland and World Domination? Sounds interesting. You'll need to take advantage of Barbarossa to soften up the Soviets for you most likely. A successful campaign in the Winter War would probably help too.

It's really annoying that I have to use the internet to buy any good games. All the games that are kept in games stores are crap (apart form the new releases, which are only available because they are new).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yeah, EU and HoI series are both made by Paradox, so they share *some* similarities. HoI2 is much much more user-friendly (in terms of interface and all) than its predecessor. I'd imagine EU3 (2007) will follow suit as well.

As I said, HoI2 has a demo available, although all you have in there is combat, no production/research/diplomacy.

I mean, come on, diplomacy with 100+ nations. It doesn't get any better than this. That's one of the big draws. The whole world is included, not just Europe or the Pacific. If the nation existed back then, you can play it.

In terms of learning curve, there's a tutorial which explains the basics pretty well. With just that, you should be able to jump into the game and start playing (though, playing the game will probably be a learning process as well). "Easy to learn, difficult to master". Not to mention a pretty resourceful manual.

HoI2: Doomsday is a STANDALONE 'expansion pack' that includes everything in the original HoI2, and adds additional scenarios, extends the timeline to 1953, etc. Thanks to its xpac status, the price is also lesser (20$ US).

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)