New Star Wars Movies

Plano Skywalker

I know this is something of a flamebait topic (don't let GL make another one, please!, kind of stuff) but it is not really meant to be.

Even if GL does not want to do another one himself, I don't think he has done what Charles Schultz did with Peanuts and emphatically stated that no one else can ever move on with the franchise.

Anyway, some have hoped for a KOTOR movie, others like a New Republic or New Jedi Order idea. And, of course, there is talk of a TV show.

But I think the best potential for more SW on the silver screen would be a trilogy based on the events between Ep III and Ep IV. There is already a hit novel on that time period that is said to be some of the best SW writing to date.

Let's face it, Darth Vader is the star of this franchise, even more than Luke or Voda or Han or anyone else. And Darth Vader would be even more in focus during that time period. We could see Vader participate in more missions, see him go to the Outer Rim and hunt down Jedi that he missed in Ep III, and even see the personal side with all his inner conflicts, etc.

That time period is ripe for adventure...ripe for an entire trilogy of movies.

Edited by Plano Skywalker

Actually the tv series seems to be a virtual certainty, if we are to trust Wookieepedia, which I do. And it's apparently set right in the time of the jedi purge between episodes III and IV. So we might see Vader again on tv, I guess.

hmmmm, well that does look like it will be quite an undertaking. but, since it focuses entirely on minor characters, it would still leave plenty of room for movies focusing on Vader.

Actually the tv series seems to be a virtual certainty, if we are to trust Wookieepedia, which I do. And it's apparently set right in the time of the jedi purge between episodes III and IV. So we might see Vader again on tv, I guess.

hmmmm, well that does look like it will be quite an undertaking. but, since it focuses entirely on minor characters, it would still leave plenty of room for movies focusing on Vader.

Well, what would be the point? I mean, of course the tv series is going to focus on minor characters, since we already know that there is not going to be much (or indeed any) character development for Vader until Ep. IV. But that doesn't mean he can turn up ominously and slash a few jedi or other folk, then disappear back into the shadows.

Besides, if there is to be a tv-show in that era, then I'd prefer to have no movies set there, since they would likely clash with each other. And what would see Vader do anyway? As I just pointed out, there is no character development for him, so it would be pretty boring... I'd have liked to see him hunt down a few more jedi in Ep. III, but it doesn't seem to have the material to build an entire movie over, let alone several.

If there are to be more movies (which I doubt), I'd prefer to see Luke as a jedi master. I think Hamill has the age for too, btw. Lucas originally planned nine movies, but I really doubt we'll ever see Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, since the EU has covered all the areas it would likely take place in by now. I'd actually like a movie version of the "Dark Empire" comic. But it'll never happen, so it doesn't matter...

the point is that the transition from crushing the Trade Federation to crushing the Rebellion is wrought with many logistical and political difficulties.

not every stormtrooper is a clone (one would think, anyway) and many stormtroopers would object to crushing the Rebellion.

OK, I admit, the movies would not actually be "about" Vader since, as you say, there is little to no character developement for him, but seeing him deal with insurrections during this time and still manage to make trips out to the Outer Rim to hunt Jedi would make for good cinema.

It would also allow us to see what Ben and Yoda were up to during this time (and they were not just twiddling their thumbs).

I guess a TV show could capture what I am looking for here....it's just that a movie would focus on the main charaters more.

I don't think the movies are necessarily about Vader, but they are about the Skywalkers. So the logical continuation of the series would be centered around Luke rebuilding the Jedi Order and Leia rebuilding the republic, and eventually the stories of their children.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

OK, I admit, the movies would not actually be "about" Vader since, as you say, there is little to no character developement for him, but seeing him deal with insurrections during this time and still manage to make trips out to the Outer Rim to hunt Jedi would make for good cinema.

I agree, but I also think that this is precisely the role Vader will have on the tv show. He'll be a dark and foreboding figure of power, and when he turns up, you know it's someone's time to die... That's how Vader (as in Vader, not Anakin) works best dramatically anyway, if you ask me.

It would also allow us to see what Ben and Yoda were up to during this time (and they were not just twiddling their thumbs).

Well, I actually disagree with you there. Obi-Wan and Yoda have to stay in hiding, or else Tarkin's comment about Obi-Wan being dead and the jedi's fire having burned out will become meaningless. It seemed obvious to me in Ep. IV that Obi-Wan being alive at all was a surprise, and they seemed to be completely unaware that Yoda still existed too.

I guess a TV show could capture what I am looking for here....it's just that a movie would focus on the main charaters more.

True. What you can do on tv has picked up, though. You can do spectacular space battles now (just see some of the episodes of Battlestar Galactica or the "Dominion War arc" on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), so maybe it won't be so bad. Either way, I'll wait and see what the premise of the show is before I make up my mind in any way.

I don't think the movies are necessarily about Vader, but they are about the Skywalkers. So the logical continuation of the series would be centered around Luke rebuilding the Jedi Order and Leia rebuilding the republic, and eventually the stories of their children.

I'd like to see that too, but I fear the fact that this is already covered extensively in the EU novels means that we won't be seeing it. After all, EU is canon, even if many fans prefer not accept it as such.

The movies could progress and more be made, but if not and we stick with the six we have now, then Anakin/Vader is definitely the central character - it's all about his rise, fall, and eventual redemption and all the consequences that follow from that.

I don't know, while a KOTOR flick would be nice, it would also take away my ability to refer to the Galactic Civil War era as, simply, "the movie era" :)

the bottom line is that Star Wars is what we think of when we think of Lucas and I really wouldn't be surprised if he has some more (SW) movies in him.

They could just have a sequel trilogy that is set a couple hundred years in the future. Have the Imperial remnants and the New Republic at a stalemate. Two galactic powers with diametrically opposed values attempting to live in relative peace would be a nice way to start it off. Have the decendants of the Solos and the Skywalkers as the central characters. Could be neat.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'd like to see the Mandalorian Wars as a film. You know, with Revan in "his" robes commanding, but never to actually see "his" face. Jedi fighting Mandalorians, a sort of prequel to Kotor. That sort of thing would be fun.

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

They could just have a sequel trilogy that is set a couple hundred years in the future. Have the Imperial remnants and the New Republic at a stalemate. Two galactic powers with diametrically opposed values attempting to live in relative peace would be a nice way to start it off. Have the decendants of the Solos and the Skywalkers as the central characters. Could be neat.

interesting idea but wouldn't the Vong invasion interfere with such a setting?

even more hairsplitting: "Knights of the Old Republic" is one story arch (and, hence, trade paperback) for the Tales of the Jedi Era.

of course KOTOR since taken on a larger meaning, namely any ancient SW setting.

I would say it is any time you have:

1) more than 2 Sith (i.e. before Darth Bane's time)

and

2) the Jedi Order is, basically, the FBI

in the movie era, you have one of those conditions but not both.

After EPI-III I'm not sure I want to see another SW movie.

Something with a bit more depth like a series perhaps.

well, I have alot of respect for GL but he turned ROTJ into a kid's movie (i.e. the Ewoks) long before he turned Ep 1 into a kid's movie.

the Empire Strikes Back is widely seen as the best SW movie ever made and it was neither directed nor produced by GL, nor was the screenplay written by him.

of course, the overarching story was his, but the micromanagement was left to others.

with the right mix of writers and producers, I would love to see some more movies on par with the Empire Strikes Back....both only if they are on par with it.