PS3: Everything We Know at 1up

funcroc

I'm sure you've all heard this by now, but: Ken Kutaragi revealed this morning that the Playstation 3 weill launch all over the world simultaneously (I guess they don't want to be worse than Microsoft) early in november 2006! Also, the Playstation 3 will come with a 60 GB harddrive and will be completely backwards compatible with Playstation/Playstation 2.

Ok, the Xbox 360 is now out of the picture for me. My next-gen choice stands between Playstation 3 and the Revolution.

Didn't hear about this actually.

Great news... I'm sure the system won't be 100% backwards compatible (just like the PS2 wasn't) but it will be close enough.

All games require hd. Yes it is good. Bu Kutaragi says:

"might end up installing it(hd) in all PS3s, though that depends on the market". So we have to buy an hd to play games like we bought a memory card for ps2... This is ridiculous.

centinexx.png

Heres the quote from the artical.

A host of other details were also unveiled. PS3 will be supported with a free online service from day one, and the console will come bundled with a 60GB hard drive. PS3 will also be 100 per cent compatible with all PS2 and PSOne titles.

It dosnt appear to say there will be two models, one with HD and one without.

I was expecting it around November (in Japan). The world wide release is a pleasent suprise. As soon as possible I'm preordering one :rolleyes:

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

From Gamespot:

Kutaragi also made it clear that the hard drive will be necessary to play games--Sony is telling developers to make games assuming every PS3 has a hard drive installed. "We view the Hard Drive to be mandatory for the PS3," he said. "Rather than have developers create games for the PS3 with or without the HDD, we will be asking them to develop games as though all PS3s have the HDD installed."

However, Kutaragi revealed that Sony had not decided whether or not the PlayStation 3 would come with the hard-drive pre-installed. "We might end up installing it in all PS3s, though that depends on the market," he said. This raises the possibility that the PS3 could be sold without a piece of hardware needed to play PS3 games--in effect forcing consumers to buy a peripheral for basic functionality.

centinexx.png

From Gamespot:

Kutaragi also made it clear that the hard drive will be necessary to play games--Sony is telling developers to make games assuming every PS3 has a hard drive installed. "We view the Hard Drive to be mandatory for the PS3," he said. "Rather than have developers create games for the PS3 with or without the HDD, we will be asking them to develop games as though all PS3s have the HDD installed."

However, Kutaragi revealed that Sony had not decided whether or not the PlayStation 3 would come with the hard-drive pre-installed. "We might end up installing it in all PS3s, though that depends on the market," he said. This raises the possibility that the PS3 could be sold without a piece of hardware needed to play PS3 games--in effect forcing consumers to buy a peripheral for basic functionality.

That sounds familiar. What is the date on that ?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

From IGN:

The service, which is currently going under the working name of "PlayStation Network Platform," will see its service kick off at the PS3 launch in November. "Basic" service will be free of charge initially, although it should be noted that Kutaragi did not comment on what exactly constitutes "basic service." Business will take place on the open internet, suggesting that the service will be more open than Xbox Live.

Only Basic Service is free...

centinexx.png

From Gamespot:

That sounds familiar. What is the date on that ?

Today. These are actual words of Kutaragi San from PlayStation Business Briefing.

centinexx.png

That dosnt make a whole lot of sense. Either it dosnt require a HD (like the 360) or it does. But if it does, then shipping them seperately wouldnt make any sense since a PS3 without one would be basically a doorstop.

As it's being called the basic model (60 GB) maybe there are some wires crossed somewhere along the way.

This is kind of interesting from Eurogamer.

"PlayStation 3 will also be fully backwards compatible with PS2 and PSone games, Kutaragi said, and all of them will be playable in "high-definition" resolutions".

Another example of wire crossing.

Sony's aiming to ship six million units this financial year (earlier direct reports used the phrase "by the end of 2006", but we now understand Kutaragi referenced Sony's financial year, which ends in March 2007), at the rate of one million units per month from release onward (which still doesn't quite make sense unless they kick off with two million, but then pinches of salt ought to be handed out at the door when it comes to "Sony" and "dates").

Obviously the best thing about the "delay" as long as your not in Japan is you actually get the thing sooner than you would had they stuck to the original plan.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

Well, for me the best news is

"Sony's Ken Kutaragi continues to drop PlayStation Portable news during the company's PlayStation Business Briefing 2006 as he's just announced that the PSP will see "E-Distrubution" features added sometime in the future.

Users will be able to boot software directly from their Memory Stick, all official-like this time around (you know what I mean). The first major announcement for use of this will be a series of PSOne games - yes, you will be able to download classic PlayStation titles and play them on your PSP. No word yet as of whether or not you'll be able to transfer games directly via disc or not, or which games we should see first, but more news on this as it comes in.

"

centinexx.png

That dosnt make a whole lot of sense. Either it dosnt require a HD (like the 360) or it does. But if it does, then shipping them seperately wouldnt make any sense since a PS3 without one would be basically a doorstop.

Nah, that's the thing. A PS3 without a HDD would still play Blue-ray disks, DVDs, and CDs. It just couldn't play PS3 games. So you could watch movies on BR disks or DVDs, and play PS1 and PS2 games.

It's a good move on Sony's part. People who only want to buy a cheap Blue-ray player and don't care about games won't have to pay extra, but making the HDD required to play PS3 games will make it so that developers will take full advantage of the HDD (as opposed to just sometimes using it as a means to speed-up loading times, like the optional PS2 HDD did).

That dosnt make sense though either. The console will sell at a loss so selling one that cant play PS3 games out of the box would be pretty pointless. You need a high volume of game sales to offset those loses and eventually become profitable.

478327[/snapback]

That dosnt make sense though either. The console will sell at a loss so selling one that cant play PS3 games out of the box would be pretty pointless. You need a high volume of game sales to offset those loses and eventually become profitable.

You must be a disciple of the School of Para-Logic, which teaches the use of logic that makes perfect sense in alternate dimensions, but unfortunately not in this one.

Remember Sony sells lots and lots of DVD-movies right now. Imagine how many Blu-Ray DVD-movies they will sell when they get their players out on the market. It makes sense to me, this harddrive logic.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!