Heart of Gold Here We Come

metadigital

All we need now is someone to programme it to design an infinite improbability drive ...

Quantum computer works best switched off

From New Scientist Print Edition 22 February 2006

Even for the crazy world of quantum mechanics, this one is twisted. A quantum computer program has produced an answer without actually running.

The idea behind the feat, first proposed in 1998, is to put a quantum computer into a

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, it depends on your definition of "turning off" is. If you send signal A through device X and you get something out of it, then device X is by all logic turned on/active.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

...but allow its quantum nature to flirt with the program's components...

What does this actually mean?

It means that they likely have zero understanding of the explanation themselves, and figure they'd just gloss over exactly what is happening, pissing off physics majors everywhere.

That was a bona fide good piece of science. If you had lost an ear due to fire damage or some such, I bet you'd be more appreciative of the scientists that were able to grow a real one (on the back of a mouse, yes, but it is still a human ear).

It's all to do with quantum entanglement. Basically two "paired" quantum particles have a direct effect on each other, as if they are connected. So, for example, one can add energy to one, and the other might give off energy as a photon.

No-one understands how this canhappen, at present. And, in fact, it doesn't correspond to any existing laws of physics, because it is possible to seperate two such quantum particles and have them act on each other instantaneously, i.e. FASTER THAN LIGHT CAN TRAVEL BETWEEN THEM.

What does it mean? Not sure what the full ramifications are (yet), but it probably indicates that our space-time universe is warped and stretched, but someforces can act THROUGH the fabric of the universe.

Best example is to picture a M

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It's all to do with quantum entanglement. Basically two "paired" quantum particles have a direct effect on each other, as if they are connected. So, for example, one can add energy to one, and the other might give off energy as a photon.

No-one understands how this canhappen, at present. And, in fact, it doesn't correspond to any existing laws of physics, because it is possible to seperate two such quantum particles and have them act on each other instantaneously, i.e. FASTER THAN LIGHT CAN TRAVEL BETWEEN THEM.

What does it mean? Not sure what the full ramifications are (yet), but it probably indicates that our space-time universe is warped and stretched, but someforces can act THROUGH the fabric of the universe.

Best example is to picture a M

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

That was a bona fide good piece of science. If you had lost an ear due to fire damage or some such, I bet you'd be more appreciative of the scientists that were able to grow a real one (on the back of a mouse, yes, but it is still a human ear).

Wow, it looks like I really upset you, and just with one word.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Scientists say subatomic particles can exist in more than one state at the same time, so while they're taking measurements that prove light isn't going inside the machine, it's quantum nature let's it do just that whilst also remaining outside. The Zeno effect is basically them 'proving' the light hasn't gone inside the machine (even though it has).

Simple huh.

Baffled by this nature of subatomic particles being able to have more than one state at the same time (let's say for example a particle spinning anticlockwise could also be spinning clockwise), scientists wondered if you zoomed out of the atomic scale at what point does this phenomenen stop happening. Erwin Schr

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts