Oblivion GOLD!

taks

It's set around the time of the Dragon Wars. You play a Solamnic Knight apprentice and pick a dragon.

Then as the game progresses you can quest to join other orders (and get more powerful dragons) and find all sorts of hidden missions which power you up as well. You can either fly into stuff with your dragon lance, or dodge around and use the dragons breath weapons. You come up against those big flying citadels too.

Plays more like a flightsim than anything. But it would make a great basis for a modern design.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Very few games get horses right. Shame really because if Oblivion is that big, its a game that really needs something to ride around on.

it's not that big... much smaller than morrowind. they said 16 square miles... of course, one moron reviewer thought that meant 16x16 instead of 4x4.

also, they have other, point-to-point transportation modes, from what i understand.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

gak!

oh yeah, you're an FF nut... console gaming hoorah! hehe...

i'm going to watch reviews. no more toee hose jobs for me. no console for me, either. at least, not till the squirt is old enough to play games with me. ;)

taks

comrade taks... just because.

1) You can ride horses in Oblivion, and yes they do cast shadows.

2) 360 version will have add-ons, in the form of downloadable content from Bethesda.

3) To say it is debatable that the game plays better on PC than it does on 360 is an understatement. I prefer the 360 controller with the exception of aiming, which is obviously easier on PC with the mouse than it is with the 360 stick. A mouse makes aiming spells, bow attacks and moving objects much easier, but the game pad's analog sticks and one-button-doing-many-things makes the game much more managable.

4) The sneaking in Oblivion is a lot of fun, and is very dynamic. Casting a spell can create lights which will reveal your location, as does carrying a torch. The dev team was forced to reduce the amount of shadows for several reasons, but there are options on the PC version to increase the shadowcount. I am not sure whether or not the optional shadows effect stealth. The "dumbing down" of the shadows had nothing to do with 360, instead, it had to do with minimum specs for PCs. Shadows + physics enabled objects = lag. System is irrelevent.

Edited by Shadowstrider

I dunno, I've heard such fantastic claims before of other games, only to be dissapointed later. This just might be more "shadow hype".

::shakes fist:: god help you if it's shadow hype

I imagine the 360 version will outperform all but the most highend PC.

As for downloadable content. Really not that interested. I move on quick when it comes to games. It's doubtful I will even finish the thing. If I did, it would be a first for an Elder Scrolls game. More than likely I will play around explore for a couple of days , grow bored and shelve it (which is the usual formula).

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Heh, I love how the reviewer went out of his way to say he's a newbie to the franchise (god I wish I still was) then bitches about the dreary graphics and pop in draws and such. You'll need damn near a quad core PC for it to run right I'll wager, with water cooling coming off the Artic Ocean. But to bitch about dreary dark graphics in an Elder Scrolls game?! I blame WoW.

(BTW, that's my answer for everything this week: Blame WoW.)

Edited by SSgtSniper

And shepherds we shall be,

for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,

that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee,

and teeming with souls shall it ever be,

In Nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritus Sancti.

Heh, I love how the reviewer went out of his way to say he's a newbie to the franchise (god I wish I still was) then bitches about the dreary graphics and pop in draws and such. You'll need damn near a quad core PC for it to run right I'll wager, with water cooling coming off the Artic Ocean. But to bitch about dreary dark graphics in an Elder Scrolls game?! I blame WoW.

(BTW, that's my answer for everything this week: Blame WoW.)

Lol maybe I should adopt that answer too.

"My job sucks. It's all because of WoW.

My wife is bitchy because of WoW.

My frakkin car won't start because of WoW.

My dog keeps bantha poodooing on my kitchen floor because of WoW.

My father has cancer because of WoW.

I'm addicted to these stupid forums because of WoW."

I've never even played WoW. :">

Anyway, graphic quality is overrated. I'm having more fun playing Geneforge right now than most of the games I've played in the last 3-6 months...

I dunno, I've heard such fantastic claims before of other games, only to be dissapointed later. This just might be more "shadow hype".

I think this is what an interview with Beth devs would be like:

ME: -Ok, so Oblivion has horses and soil erosion and shading..

BETH: -And Patrick Stewart!

-Yes, and Patrick Stewart.

-And a huge game world.

-Ok, but in no interviews or articles have you spoken of the actual gameplay, story or roleplaying features of the game. Now, why is that?

-Im not follwing you, here.

-Story, roleplaying. Oblivion has those, right?

-Mmm.. no, not really, no.

-But I thought it was supposed to be a CRPG?

-You know.. we uhm.. think its bad to put labels on things. We think of Oblivion more as a roleplaying-game-fantasy-simulator-action-adventure.. with soil erosion.

-And Patrick Stewart?

-Yes!! precisely.

-Isnt this just you trying desperately to hide the fact that your game will completely suck?

-Hey man! I mean... uh.. you knowm theres good games and not-so-good games and we.. you know... good games... thats just not what we do well here at Bethesda. And time has proven us right, there is a huge market out there for not-so-good games! I mean, good games make up less that 20% of sales today so why should we try and make a good game? huh?!

:blink:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I think this is what an interview with Beth devs would be like:

ME: -Ok, so Oblivion has horses and soil erosion and shading..

BETH: -And Patrick Stewart!

-Yes, and Patrick Stewart.

-And a huge game world.

-Ok, but in no interviews or articles have you spoken of the actual gameplay, story or roleplaying features of the game. Now, why is that?

-Im not follwing you, here.

-Story, roleplaying. Oblivion has those, right?

-Mmm.. no, not really, no.

-But I thought it was supposed to be a CRPG?

-You know.. we uhm.. think its bad to put labels on things. We think of Oblivion more as a roleplaying-game-fantasy-simulator-action-adventure.. with soil erosion.

-And Patrick Stewart?

-Yes!! precisely.

-Isnt this just you trying desperately to hide the fact that your game will completely suck?

-Hey man! I mean... uh.. you knowm theres good games and not-so-good games and we.. you know... good games... thats just not what we do well here at Bethesda. And time has proven us right, there is a huge market out there for not-so-good games! I mean, good games make up less that 20% of sales today so why should we try and make a good game? huh?!

:-

???

:blink:

:devil:

<_< Blasphemy!

IB1OsQq.png