What ever happened to

Kalfear

Was chatting with a online friend and was wondering what ever happened to the good old days when a developer created a big seller they stuck with that title until the market dried up?

IMO Obsidian (well really Bioware originally) should ALWAYS have new KotOR game in the works until they stop selling!

Same goes for Jade Empire and Bioware

Whats with these companies going off in different directions and not sticking to what brought them to the dance (so to speak).

New titles are great but stick with what sells as well!

Just seems really strange to me that neither of these titles currently in development when the market is dieing for quality games like them.

I myself don't like to play sequels after sequels. I hate Ubisoft games for that reason.

- Hey guys, let's make a new POP game..

- Oh! what a great idea! Then we'll make a new Splinter Cell game..

- Don't forget Silent Hunter.

- And Far Cry

- And Brothers in Arms

- And....

centinexx.png

Sequels are normally done on the same engine and within a short ammount of time. Afrer that , the projects always seem to run into all sorts of problems.

The Elder Scrolls is about the only RPG series that has progressed beyond this.

Oblivion is either 4,5 or 6..

(not talking about JRPGs here, loads of those are in double figures).

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

If I though each sequel would have as much time and care put into it's production I'd be all for 'em. but that's not what happens. Each one is worse and worse, old features get dropped, new features don't work the way they should art get stale, new art direction goes insane or just recycles the old graphics *cough*. It's a mess best left to hollywood.

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

Sequels are normally done on the same engine and within a short ammount of time. Afrer that , the projects always seem to run into all sorts of problems.

The Elder Scrolls is about the only RPG series that has progressed beyond this.

Oblivion is either 4,5 or 6..

(not talking about JRPGs here, loads of those are in double figures).

Wizardy made it to 8, and Ultima made it to 9. Oblivion is Elder Scrolls 4.

I never thought I'd see someone call out for developers to curtail their creativity.

Edited by alanschu

Wizardy made it to 8, and Ultima made it to 9.  Oblivion is Elder Scrolls 4.

I never thought I'd see someone call out for developers to curtail their creativity.

I was thinking of things in "active service"

I'd say it has more to do with publishers.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Wizardy made it to 8, and Ultima made it to 9.  Oblivion is Elder Scrolls 4.

I was thinking of things in "active service"

I'd say it has more to do with publishers.

LOL shadow, I did say "good old days"

I was thinking of the wizardry's, Might and Magics, SSI Gold Box Games.

They didnt curtail creativity but catered to a proven audeince.

Mostly I just want a GOOD game to play RIGHT NOW!

Morrowind sucked so not bothering with Oblivion, but want my KotOR and JE Dammit! Lots and lots of stories to be told yet in those two franchises and they would continue to be huge sellers!

So tired of the gaming market being sturated with FPS's and RTS crap!

with very few exceptions, sequels typically underperform the original. this goes for movies, too.

bioware is in a unique position in that they have the clout to develop their own IP now (or at least branch off with IP that has never been developed for crpgs). this allows them to avoid sequelitis (which causes pigeonholing) and always release fresh ideas. at least, fresh in the sense that their ideas aren't necessarily a follow-on to something previous.

for bioware, this is good as they don't have to be judged against previous releases. BG2 was compared to BG1, for better or worse. Kotor 2 was compared to Kotor 1. NWN 2 will be compared to NWN 1. Oblivion will be compared to Morrowind... see the trend? sometimes it works (Morrowind compared to Daggerfall is a good example) but not always (Fallout 2 is usually compared less than favorably to Fallout 1).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Milking the market sucks.

If you want to play Kotor just replay it.

What number Resi were you playing again? :p

Doesn't really apply.

RE was built as a series, and each game is functionally different as Capcom tries new things.

KotOR was built as a one shot, and then someone tried to milk it... and look what happened... a game that was only 75% done.

Doesn't really apply.

RE was built as a series, and each game is functionally different as Capcom tries new things.

KotOR was built as a one shot, and then someone tried to milk it... and look what happened... a game that was only 75% done.

Oki Doki

478327[/snapback]

Wouldn't be a problem if the games allowed for more replayability: that would be better than making a sequel that does exactly the same thing with another liniear story.

Kalfear, you have some dumb ideas, but this one is up there with a bullet.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

They didnt curtail creativity but catered to a proven audeince.

I have no problem with this. Better to target an audience a make a game that will please them vs trying to make one game that pleases everyone but which usually fails to please anybody.

Unfortunately, every publisher is lusting after the uber-seller that cuts sells well across a wide swath of demographics. So that pretty much leaves niche games, or even games with niche elements out of the loop. Its a sad state of affairs to be sure.

The big unknown right now is how large scale broadband access will affect game distribution. If developers can build their games, stick them on their websites, and ignore the publishers, then the gaming market and especially the PC gaming market, will explode wide open. But that can only hapen when buying and accessing paid content across the internet becomes comonplace.

You can bet publishers are quite scared of that scenario at the moment though.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.