Extracting goodness

Atreides

My theory was that a fair amount of PnP goodness wouldn't be hard to transfer to CRPGs because you don't have spontaneous improvisation on the part of the DM (players not so much since there's multiplayer).

I wait impatiently to see that theory being put to the test.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

My theory was that a fair amount of PnP goodness wouldn't be hard to transfer to CRPGs because you don't have spontaneous improvisation on the part of the DM (players not so much since there's multiplayer).

That's precisely the main difference and disadvantage of CRPGs, yes. That won't change until home computers have neural networks that can think...

I wait impatiently to see that theory being put to the test.

Well, since I find it hard to disagree with your theory, it becomes difficult to find arguments that put it to the test.

The broader scale of PnP RPG rules compared to rules in most CRPGs would seem to support your theory, since in PnP, you have to have rules that allow for just about any possibility in the game that the GM might want to consider. Therefore the rules are broad and extensive. In a CRPG, the programmers know that the player can take only those options they have already thought of, since no others can be possible. Therefore they can limit the rules to only what they know they'll need.

That's precisely the main difference and disadvantage of CRPGs, yes. That won't change until home computers have neural networks that can think...

"My CPU is a neural net processor, a learning computer."- Arnold Schwarzenegger

"My CPU is a neural net processor, a learning computer."- Arnold Schwarzenegger

[shudder]

I actually did think about mentioning skynet, only I thought I had just played too much Fallout 2... :p

Btw on the other hand I'm enjoying the dialogue (and outfits) of my insane Malkavian in Bloodlines. Preparing all this dialogue beforehand probably is something PnP sessions can't improvise on the fly unless they're literary geniuses. That's immersion for you.

Btw did I say the Malkavian fem outfits were hot?

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Btw on the other  hand I'm enjoying the dialogue (and outfits) of my insane Malkavian in Bloodlines.  Preparing all this dialogue beforehand probably is something PnP sessions can't improvise on the fly unless they're literary geniuses.  That's immersion for you.

Btw did I say the Malkavian fem outfits were hot?

The outfits were hot. :ermm:

Advantages of CRPG's and Tabletop RPG

CRPG

• Provides the players with actual graphics of the game world and their characters
  • Prewritten dialouge is usually superior to that which most GMs come up with on the fly
  • Pro voice acting and 3D models makes NPCs truly come alive
  • Combat is completely rigid but allows real tactics through the "battlefield" being completely illustrated in real time. Whereas using miniatures and hexmaps in tabletop tends to make it more like a game of warhammer than an RPG
  • You dont need friends to play it :huh:

Tabletop

• Lets the player use his imagination
  • Allows limitless improvisation for both GM and Players
  • Lets you hone your acting skills
  • Doesnt require a 10million dollar budget and 3 years of development to let you play a measly 20hour campaign

..and thats about all the listmaking I can muster for now

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I don't think it translates to CRPGS, but we sometimes used a two man team for refereeing. You have the main GM who handles the plot, and planning, and an assistant GM who handles most of te acting and dialogue.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I should hope so. Oh God I hope so.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.