Spiderweb Games

karka

After playing M&B for long long hours, i'm looking for more indie games. What can you tell me about Spiderweb's games? Do they really worth their price. I found them rather expensive.

Or are there any other good indie games?

Edited by karka
centinexx.png

After playing M&B for long long hours, i'm looking for more indie games. What can you tell me about Spiderweb's games? Do they really worth their price. I found them rather expensive.

Or are there any other good indie games?

The demo versions for the spiderweb games are pretty large, you could play the to find out.

Personally i like them. They're very fun early in, but get a bit tedious near the end. And ofcourse you have to be able to get over the primitive graphics.

qwb,

I really liked that indie games. If you haven't got any game to play, just download and play them. They are small, cheap yet very complex. I can buy Avernum 4 even now(it's 01.28 AM) and play 'till dawn.

centinexx.png

Geneforge and Geneforge 2 are my favorite of Vogel's games. They've got a nice mix of fantasy and sci-fi going on and you can create your own little army of retarded creatures to fight for you. Geneforge 3 ain't bad either, although some don't like it as much. The Avernums are great if you're in the mood for sort of non-linear TB hack n slash. I prefer Avernum 4 of that series because of the higher resolution and improved UI. They're all pretty good, but the combat needs a little more spice.

Edited by baby arm

Isn't this the guy who once made a game series called Exile? I kind of remember the name Jeff Vogel. I think I bought Exile and Exile 2 back in.. 1994?! It can't have been that long ago..

Edit: Looked it up. It was back in 1995 (for Exile) and 1996 (for Exile 2). I'm OLD.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Bump. Just downloaded the Geneforge demo, since it seems some people here are found of it. Finished 1st area, which has pretty much only been a tutorial so far. The narrative has been decent. To expand on what TNO asked, from someone who has bought and played the various games, how is the writing/story/roleplaying? Particularly the writing.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

The writing is pretty solid throughout. Vogel's especially good at the dialogue and descriptive parts. Guess he needs to be to make up for the bland graphics. The stories are good, but not anything to write home about (like most RPGs). One big weakness is the characters. I can't think of one single memorable character. Maybe someone else knows of some examples to contradict me.

The roleplaying is also solid. There are plenty of "who do I help, who do I lie to, who do I push aside " moments in the Geneforges. The RPing in the Avernums is more oriented towards functional party building decisions, like in a lot of dungeon crawler type games.

The stories are good, but not anything to write home about (like most RPGs). One big weakness is the characters. I can't think of one single memorable character.

Oooooh, not good.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)