TOP 10 TV SHOWS!

Volourn

Not surprisingly, this is turning on the rather particular tastes of this board.  Very little that aired more than 20 years ago... Lots of mediocre scifi being ridiculously overrated just because it's scifi... Nostalgia making people believe that the 1980s had any kind of redeeming value... People appreciating Hercules and Xena in a non-ironic fashion... 

To go a bit more mainstream, here's what TV Guide had to say on the matter a few years ago (the best link I could find was to CBS news, so all the CBS shows are annoyingly bolded). 

Personally, I'd break it into categories:

Talk Shows:

Meet the Press (so I'm a policy wonk...)

Ed Sullivan (before my time, but you've got to acknowledge its influence)

Letterman, pre-CBS

Sitcoms:

All in the Family

Taxi

The Simpsons

Seinfeld

Dramas:

Not a big watcher of these.  I suppose the Sopranos is pretty universally acclaimed (I only saw the first 2 seasons).  I admire the Law & Order formula-- consistently watchable, but it's not can't-miss stuff.

Miscellaneous:

MST3K (the scifi show I prefer to ridiculously overrate)

Anyone here could say the same about your taste or lack of it.

To each his own.

Not surprisingly, this is turning on the rather particular tastes of this board. 

People will generally list stuff from their generational influence as favorites. It's a rather human thing to do, not just something from 'this board.'

There's a lot of very old stuff I admire for media/format impact, mostly from my parents influence, but they don't spring to mind immediately because I haven't seen them in years and years and typically it's the more recent that pops into your head when you're answering some random forum poll. ;) Plus a lot of stuff that you thought was great when you first saw it - especially if you saw it when you were a kid/early teen - doesn't 'age' very well in the memory, no matter how 'classic' it may be considered to be. I Love Lucy was huge and influential but....

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

In order of most recent:

Battlestar Galactica

Firefly

The West Wing (The Aaron Sorkin years)

SportsNight

Band of Brothers

Batman the Animated Series

Seinfeld

The Simpsons

Cheers

M*A*S*H (early years)

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Not surprisingly, this is turning on the rather particular tastes of this board. 

People will generally list stuff from their generational influence as favorites. It's a rather human thing to do, not just something from 'this board.'

There's a lot of very old stuff I admire for media/format impact, mostly from my parents influence, but they don't spring to mind immediately because I haven't seen them in years and years and typically it's the more recent that pops into your head when you're answering some random forum poll. :) Plus a lot of stuff that you thought was great when you first saw it - especially if you saw it when you were a kid/early teen - doesn't 'age' very well in the memory, no matter how 'classic' it may be considered to be. I Love Lucy was huge and influential but....

I didn't mean that this is the only place on the internet where people have 'forgotten the classics.' I was just observing that it is interesting to see the ways the crowd here differs from more mainstream opinion in pretty consistent ways. The subset of the population who really liked, say, Angel and Farscape is pretty small (whence their cancellation) but rather heavily represented here.

(And then I took a swipe at the 1980s, Xena/Hercules, and mediocre scifi shows, which made some people angry. Yeah, it's subjective, but I'm standing by it as backed up by a consensus of hoity-toity intellectual elitists. :) )

Lastly, I'd like to add 2 categories to my list:

Childrens:

Old-school Loonie Tunes*

Spongebob Squarepants

Documentary:

Nova

* This might not count considering they were originally made for theatrical release, but I'm betting that everyone here saw them on TV.

Edited by Enoch

Actually Buffy and Angel were critically acclaimed and major draws for the WB and UPN. They didn't bring in "American Idol" numbers, but they brought in enough to run for 13 seasons combined (I think...8 for Buffy, 5 for Angel?) They were top competitors in their time slot. They definitely appealed to a certain demographic, which is also the demographic you'll find on the internet. Hence the fact you don't see many advertisements for old people on either one.

Ewwwww the Rockford Files....sweet!!!

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I was just observing that it is interesting to see the ways the crowd here differs from more mainstream opinion in pretty consistent ways.  The subset of the population who really liked, say, Angel and Farscape is pretty small (whence their cancellation) but rather heavily represented here. 

Mainstream in terms of Neilson ratings? Those never really say much...have they re-vamped that system yet? ;)

I find on most game forums over the years - all of them, but particularly RPG type ones - that a large percentage of the "population" likes a lot of fantasy/sci-fi shows/entertainment, both good and bad. The seeming correlation always made sense to me, particularly given the average age range. Forums I've been to where the majority of the users rarely play video games tend to show a different genre/taste range - but still not always 'mainstream'. So yeah, sometimes different forum "groups" can seem like mini-demographic indicators.

Most of those WB shows I've never liked personally, but I kinda stopped paying attention to most popular TV 10+ years ago...kinda like music. I'm turning into my parents. *the horror* :ph34r:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

i think all this thread demonstrates is that tv sucks

If you wern't a spy for the British, and likely have a liceanse to kill, I'd say somthing meanish

the second week of training has a strict tv disappreciation course, failure to score above 98(out of 100) in the final test results in removal from the program

The only shows I may watch on TV (or rather on my pc) are animes

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Rome

Jeopardy

Sopranos

Daily Show

Good Eats

Iron Chef

Attack Of The Show

Bill Maher

Xplay

Tech Tv before it became G4TV had a series that was called something like "minds of tomarrow" Anyone know what im talking about, and what happened to it?

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

No, but Iron Chief is a great show.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Many Star Trek episodes are based off classical literature. You can find the same themes in Greek and Roman mythology, as well as Shakespeare and many other famous authors. The writing really was superior, although I don't think it fared as well after TNG.

Many Star Trek episodes are based off classical literature.  You can find the same themes in Greek and Roman mythology, as well as Shakespeare and many other famous authors.  The writing really was superior, although I don't think it fared as well after TNG.

Agreed.

TOS was fun, TNG was smart, the rest was filler. And R. Berman killed it.