KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

When the Restoration boys get finished, (and I will be donating them some moeny for their time even if they make it a free download) it's going to be a whole new experience. Can I get a woot!

I don't think they are allowed legally to demand money for their work, even if they deserve it, since the game is not their property. And I doubt even Nihilus and Vader put together can stand up to the LA legal department...

Note to the LA legal department - the above is a joke and nothing more. I have no desire to offend or otherwise tarnish the reputation of the legal department. We all know and appreciate all the good work done by the department :p

When the Restoration boys get finished, (and I will be donating them some moeny for their time even if they make it a free download) it's going to be a whole new experience. Can I get a woot!

I don't think they are allowed legally to demand money for their work, even if they deserve it, since the game is not their property. And I doubt even Nihilus and Vader put together can stand up to the LA legal department...

Note to the LA legal department - the above is a joke and nothing more. I have no desire to offend or otherwise tarnish the reputation of the legal department. We all know and appreciate all the good work done by the department :p

I think you're confusing the LA legal department with the Fox legal department. Lucasarts has been pretty good with mod support, and typically only requests that the mod makers don't use outside licensed material, like the John Williams score.

Fox on the otherhand...if you so much as have a character model that resembles an Alien or a Predator, kiss your mod goodbye.

I am planning on waiting until it's finished, although I'm sure they could use the money for hosting costs if nothing else.

And shepherds we shall be,

for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,

that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee,

and teeming with souls shall it ever be,

In Nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritus Sancti.

IMO, LA should just allow an expansion pack to be made (it would have to be more than just the cut content, but still).  that way, they could make an end run around the amateur content-restoration project.

Wouldn't it be easier to just do a new game?

I mean, look at KotOR2 - it uses the same graphics and probably even much of the same code (as far as I can tell) as the original... It almost looks like an expansion to me. Not that that's surprising considering how little time Obsidian had to make to it.

It wouldn't be the first time that a sequel uses the same graphics, and much of the same code, as its predecessor.

No, but doesn't that point more to an expansion than a game in its own right...

If we choose to overlook the admittedly far more complex plot, I mean.

It seems to me that K2 is an example of plot rather than code being what decides whether something is just an expansion or a new game...

Then many expansions are just expansion packs.

Not sure what you are trying to say though. IMO the simplest definition of an expansion pack is something that requires the original game.

Would an FPS that just licensed the Unreal engine just be an expansion pack of Unreal? I'm seriously confused.

EDIT: What the heck are we arguing/discussing?

Edited by alanschu

If you don't use the same engine and much of the same material then your looking at about twice as long to bring the game out.

Publishers usually want to capitalise as quickly as possible.

And expansion is usually a couple of hours long. Or adds some new features to an already existing game. So KOTOR II definately not an expansion.

I was going to say that KOTOR II and FFX-2 have a lot in common. Although on second thoughts they dont because they totally changed the game system for X-2.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

well, I think KOTOR 3 will be next-gen so any expansion pack for K2 would need to be using the Odyssey engine (i.e. that used in K1 and K2). Whether it is an "expansion pack" or "platinum edition"---doesn't matter. But probably would be best to have a platinum edition that also included the game. Expansion pack by itself would have to be cheaper than the platinum edition.

I really doubt Odyssey will be used for K3.

Guest The Architect

How would you handle the fates of Revan and the Exile for K3?

A) Kill them both off

B) Play as Revan

C) Play as the Exile

D) Play half the game as the Exile, the other half as Revan

E) Limit them to minor cameo appearences

F) Both to make appearences but not be the main character or a party member

G) Don't kill them off, but don't make appearences either

H) Kill either Revan or the Exile off, but not both

I) Start as the Exile searching for Revan and when you find him/her, have them both as main characters with two different parties and ships

J) Having both Revan and the Exile as party members under a new main character

K) Give Revan and the Exile major roles, but not be the main character/s or PM's

L) Having Revan as the Main PC and the Exile as a party member with Revan...

M) Having the Exile as the Main PC and Revan as a party member with the Exile...

N) Go a new main character in K3, have the Exile join your party 2/3's into the game and have Revan join your party 3/4's into the game...

O) Set K3 anywhere between 50-500 years after K2, so that Revan and the Exile are only mentioned briefly in dialogue, but you would have an opportunity to say what they did depending on what there genders and alignments were

Table 1 Latest Poll Standings

K (33)

I (33)

F (15)

J (12)

A (7)

L (6)

B (4)

N (3)

M (3)

H (3)

D (2)

G (1)

C (1)

E (1)

Table 2 Latest Poll Standings

R) 64

Q) 46

P) 11

*For all voting rules and information regarding this poll, check my previous posts by clicking on my name and then clicking on 'find members posts'.

Guest The Architect

Thanks for voting. The latest poll standings are...

K (33)

I (33)

F (15)

J (12)

A (7)

L (6)

H (4)

B (4)

N (3)

M (3)

D (2)

G (1)

C (1)

E (1)

R) 64

Q) 46

P) 12

A romance between Revan and the exile? You've all gone romance mad. They're both characters we defined; it would be like making love to yourself, which has its advantages of course... but still. :wub:

Even if they pinned the characters down, Revan a woman and exile a man (which was the way I always saw it. Revan was devious and conniving while the Exile had deep-seated emotional problems) and fleshed out their characters I don't think that should necessarily equate romance. This isn't blind date.

Well, I would also prefer Revan as a female character. Why should every interesting char and hero be a man? For a possible KOTORIII I would like to play as Revan (she/he should be the main char) and to see the exilant again. It would also be pretty cool to see Carth Onasi. In my game, Revan and Carth had an indicated lovely relationship :D . Atton was very uncool, this char was the only one that I really didn't like.

I really hope they're developing a KOTORIII!!!!!!!

How would you handle the fates of Revan and the Exile for K3?

A) Kill them both off

B) Play as Revan

C) Play as the Exile

D) Play half the game as the Exile, the other half as Revan

E) Limit them to minor cameo appearences

F) Both to make appearences but not be the main character or a party member

G) Don't kill them off, but don't make appearences either

H) Kill either Revan or the Exile off, but not both

I) Start as the Exile searching for Revan and when you find him/her, have them both as main characters with two different parties and ships

J) Having both Revan and the Exile as party members under a new main character

K) Give Revan and the Exile major roles, but not be the main character/s or PM's

L) Having Revan as the Main PC and the Exile as a party member with Revan...

M) Having the Exile as the Main PC and Revan as a party member with the Exile...

N) Go a new main character in K3, have the Exile join your party 2/3's into the game and have Revan join your party 3/4's into the game...

O) Set K3 anywhere between 50-500 years after K2, so that Revan and the Exile are only mentioned briefly in dialogue, but you would have an opportunity to say what they did depending on what there genders and alignments were

K (33)

I (33)

F (15)

J (12)

A (7)

L (6)

B (4)

N (3)

M (3)

H (3)

D (2)

G (1)

C (1)

E (1)

R)  64

Q)  46

P)  11

*For all voting rules and information regarding this poll, check my previous posts by clicking on my name and then clicking on 'find members posts'.

Hey, you forgot to explain R, Q, and P. That might be confusing to new readers (and even to those geezers among us, who forget...) :-

A romance between Revan and the exile? You've all gone romance mad. They're both characters we defined; it would be like making love to yourself, which has its advantages of course... but still. :wub:

Even if they pinned the characters down, Revan a woman and exile a man (which was the way I always saw it. Revan was devious and conniving while the Exile had deep-seated emotional problems) and fleshed out their characters I don't think that should necessarily equate romance. This isn't blind date.

Well, I would also prefer Revan as a female character. Why should every interesting char and hero be a man? For a possible KOTORIII I would like to play as Revan (she/he should be the main char) and to see the exilant again. It would also be pretty cool to see Carth Onasi. In my game, Revan and Carth had an indicated lovely relationship :D . Atton was very uncool, this char was the only one that I really didn't like.

I really hope they're developing a KOTORIII!!!!!!!

I liked Atton. He was similar to Han Solo. As for Revans return in KotOR III, I would rather see him as an non playable Charakter.

The PC should be a young unknown male/female who