Books/Movies that changed your life

WITHTEETH

So what books or movies changed your life, I'm really curious to hear! :) Mine would have to be Enders Game, Fabric Of the Cosmos, A Mans Search For Meaning. This is all I can think of thus far. :)

So add yours, maybe then itll add on to mine inthe future! :lol:

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

As for books, all the kid's astronomy and UFOlogy books I read as a kid probably help lead me into the career I have now.

The "Choose your own Adventure", "Which Way", and "Twistaplot" books also shaped me tremendously into the person I am today.I loved the concept of *ME* being the main protagonist of the story and make decisions which affected the outcome. This was *probably* when the seeds which later sprouted my passion for RPGs were initially planted.

The movie "Cyborg" got me all hooked into the post-apocalyptic genre. This was the movie that made me realize that not all sci-fi sucked. I just thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

Erm...no book/movie has yet changed my life in any drastic way, like changing careers/habits etc. But one that did influence some of my philosophy about living/humanity when I was 13 or so is The Wisdom of Insecurity by Alan W. Watts.

I've pretty much stuck with a lot the things he writes in there ever since. Except the actual reglious/God beliefs that I remember were towards the end of the book. I remember underlining and re-reading and my tattered copy is still in a box somewhere...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Im not so much a product of one book or movie as much as I am a product of many, but I would say that the following books/movie had an effect on who I am :

Indy and the Fate of Atlantis

Indy movies

Star Wars

My 4th grade social studies book

Grim Fandango

Monkey Island

Seinfeld (though its not a movie)

RL Stine books

I'd say these got me started, there are many things that changed me slightly on the way , as my thinking would change slightly with each book or movie.

"The Wisdom of Insecurity by Alan W. Watts"

I used to be obsessed with Watts when I was younger. I'd go around recommending them to everybody and not understanding why people weren't interested in these odd Buddhist books I liked. Yes.

Kerouac's books overall were probably my biggest literary influence and On The Road in particular. Hunter S. Thompson has never been too far behind.

1984 by George Orwell.

Hitchicker's guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Star Wars 1st Trilogy Original Edition by George Lucas, Frank Marshall and Lawrence Kasdan

The NeverEnding Story by Wolfgang Petersen

Explorers

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Lord of the Rings by Peter Jackson

E.T. by Steven Spielberg

Edited by astr0creep

Stephen King's "The Stand" rocked me pretty hard the first time I read it.

I'd grown up with good vs. evil in TV, books and movies. Everyone has, but The Stand was different. The fear was believable, the scale was incredible and the level of detail was right down to the song that was on the radio when the world went to hell.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

we is the sum total of our experiences... so we guess that everything we has seen/heard/experienced has changed us whether we recognize or not.

sound like a cheap dodge?

a few books from high school and university years:

"the hero with a thousand faces" joseph campbell

"the third wave" alvin toffler

"dubliners" james joyce

"the art of fiction" john gardner

"chaos in classical and quantum mechanics" martin gutzwiller

"richard iii" bill shakespeare

"beowulf"

"pale fire" vladimir nabokov

"the dark knight returns" frank miller

bible, the

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'd grown up with good vs. evil in TV, books and movies. Everyone has, but The Stand was different. The fear was believable, the scale was incredible and the level of detail was right down to the song that was on the radio when the world went to hell.

That tv series was the bomb. I especially love the parts with the Army. :D

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

That tv series was the bomb. I especially love the parts with the Army. :D

Yeah, they actually have a 2-DVD set of the miniseries up for sale. It really was fantastic for a TV miniseries. Rob Lowe was great as Nick Andros, and who better to play Tom Cullen than Dauber from Coach! M-O-O-N. that spells Craig T. Nelson...

The intro section with "Don't Fear the Reaper" was awesome too. But my favorite bit might be the descent into depression of that military brass dude (maybe played by Ed Harris?).

"Yeats was right. Things fall apart, the center cannot hold."

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I read Ender's Game when i was 11 or 12, and it really changed the way i deal with things, or at least, analyse them. Same with Ender's Shadow, which i think is just as good.

and i couldn't post in this thread without noting the Bible, from which i obtain my morals and beliefs.

Hebrew God + Jesus Christ FTW! :thumbsup:

Lord of the Rings books and movies in a way made some changes. I became more active in writing fantasy and writing in general after reading the books and seeing the movies.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

This is like asking me to recall how many pair of shoes I have ever warn.

1984 by George Orwell.

:)

"richard iii" bill shakespeare

I couldn't differentiate between all of the different plays I have read, especially the tragedies.

Charles Dickens's Great Expectations gave me an insight into real life that was particularly propitious.

My secondary school Calculus text book (ironically) rocked my faith in the perfection of mathematics.

Messianic Legacy was an eye-opener.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The Indiana Jones Trilogy changed my life. Watching that got me interested in archaeology, and history etc, and now I'm studying Egyptian Archaeology at Uni. Which is nice.

Blue lorry yellow lorry blue lorry yellow lorry blorry. D'oh.

Orwell's Coming Up For Air

Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls

Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye I saw that word everywhere too for a bit.

Celine Journey to the End of the Night

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Books: Hitchhiker's Guide; On the Psychology of Military Incompetence

Film: Sonatine (1984) [a French Canadian short film, which if you've seen it tells you a lot about me]

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.