Is a PST remake really that unfeasible?

Ginthaeriel

the reason why it would HAVE to be the Planescape setting is the death mechanic....however, as long as you can find another cheap trick that would substitute for that, well, RPGs with amnesia, heavy NPC interaction and dialogue, and heavy backstory are quite doable and I would like to see more of them.

(I'm not a huge fan of the "amnesia" thing but it is a powerful storytelling device, no question about it....I can forgive it somewhat if it yields a really good game)

Didn't PS:T eventually sell a lot through persistent sales? Meaning even if the returns for the original were diminished because of their belated nature, the argument could be made that a flashy remake is not entirely an exercise in financial idiocy.

Didn't PS:T eventually sell a lot through persistent sales? Meaning even if the returns for the original were diminished because of their belated nature, the argument could be made that a flashy remake is not entirely an exercise in financial idiocy.

I think it did eventually sell quite a few copies. But it definately was a niche game that didn't have a wide following...at first at least. I commonly hear it referred to as one of the greatest RPGs ever made. And then there is also a considerable crowd of console-RPGers that have never even heard of it.

I think a remake would be great, but it'd have to do something very inventive to have reasonable sales compared against Xbox 360 and the like.

Gromnir knows his stuff I tell ya.  :)

Gromnir is cool, a bit slow in the head but an alright dude.

Women... does anybody know what they truly mean ? :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I never liked the Planescape setting and the game itself never impressed me either. Seeing that it did not sell well compared to the other IE games it would be a waste of money and resources that could be better served else where.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

convincing a publisher to make your game is not same as doing okie dokie on some high school debate team issue. sure, an argument can be made that there is lots/lost more ps:t fans out there than the initial 2 quarter sales numbers is showing. so what?

you got a dead property that wotc does not wanna support and you gotta somehow overcome the crappy all-important first 2 quarter sales numbers that ps:t had if you is gonna convince a publisher to invest millions in your game. those is some big hurdles.

is tough enough to get publishers to makes the next clone of the current IN title. how much more work it take to gets somebody to make ps:t2?

btw, a common complaint from folks on the bis/interplay boards 'bout ps:t were simply that they didn't like the setting. as much as some folks LOVED the setting, it sure seemed like one of the great obstacles to ps:t success were simply that folks did not embrace planescape. so if a developer wanna do a planescape kinda game with planescape kinda characters and planescape kinda themes and the same crappy planescape kinda combat, wouldn't you at least set your planescape kinda game somewheres other than planescape? publishers is idiots, but they ain't as dumb as some folks seems to thinks.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm gonna be one of those few that say the setting rocked. I wish they had been able to make more use of some of the things that made it different, like the factions, and portals, and I wish we could have seen more of Sigil, and more of the Planes, and more... everything. Ah well, it's too bad so many people complained about the fact that you couldn't have traditional armour, and there were no swords, etc. and many of the same people say they are tired of the traditional Forgotten Realms type fantasy setting, and want something different.

I always enjoyed the game for what it did have.. alot of differences.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Fair enough, Gromnir. I was simply wondering if the persistent sale factor could notch up any points - it certainly wouldn't be a major one.

But then, is PS:T the same without the setting?

Fair enough, Gromnir. I was simply wondering if the persistent sale factor could notch up any points - it certainly wouldn't be a major one.

Yes, but it is all about cost of the capital. If you get $1 today, you could invest it to get, say, $1.2 tomorrow, so $1 today = $1.2 tomorrow. If sales are slow, that means you are actually losing money you could get, so early sales > late sales.

Short terms sales are important more so today when the prices of non sellers get dropped within days sometimes.

Theres much more stuff out there these days than there was at the time of PSTs original release.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

That and the setting sucks!  :thumbsup:

The setting was aweome :)

Denied! :p

Are you two, like... the same person?

Twin sisters? :ph34r:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Online sales is going to change that, at least partially...

How so ?

Unless your refering to availability anyone who wants the game that much will still go to the store and get it.

Your still directly competing with whatever ever else is being released at the same time too.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

But then, is PS:T the same without the setting?

nope. ps:t set somewheres other than planescape would not be the same. planescape, the setting, were at least as important as any single character in the game. all kinds of little details that were unique to planescape would not have worked nowhere else. (in large part due to copyright laws.)

nevertheless, in spite of evidence to contrary, we has confidence that the obsidian folks could come up with an original setting that appeased the masses and were a bit darker and more introspective than the typical forgotten realms game. would it be same as planescape? would it have dustmen and lady of pain and the pillar of bones? no... but maybe it would be better.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)