WoW Addresses Gay-Rights Uproar

kumquatq3

LINK

SAN JOSE, Calif. - A gay-rights uproar in the popular "World of Warcraft" online game has spurred the game's maker to review its treatment of gay players.

The game, which draws more than five million players worldwide, was hit by controversy last month after a player was threatened with expulsion from the virtual Warcraft world when she sought to recruit others into her gay-friendly team.

Blizzard Entertainment, the game's maker, apologized last week to the player, Sara Andrews of Nashville, Tenn.

As I see it, the only acceptable basis for refusing to permit mention of members being gay in the description of a guild would be one which considered all romantic characterisations in an RP context inherently disallowed in the game universe.

And while I don't play it, I assume WoW allows heterosexual characterisations just like any other MMORPG. In-game "marriages" have been a norm in RP MMORPGing (kind of funny that you have to emphasise roleplaying in a roleplaying game as an esoteric exception to the usual way of thing) for years. Everquest and DAOC have had no lack of "married" RP couples (who may know virtually nothing about each other aside from the fact that both are good at playing in-character) and in game marriage ceremonies as RP events.

It'd be one thing if an MMORPG company said "100% of beings in this world are asexual, reproduce asexually, do not form personal bonds of any kind and create no long term partnerships during their lives - with no exceptions" and sure, they could say anyone who violated that by having a "gay" guild is playing out of character.

But if you're playing in a game universe wherein the population isn't 100% sociopathic, asexual automatons who form no personal associations whatsoever during their lives, you've got to accept the fact that where there is heterosexual pairing, love or partnership, there is also gay pairing, love or partnership unless it is repressed. Love and partnership are fairly crucial to the human experience. Denying gay players the experience of the partnerships which they enjoy in the world's RP context would be sheer asininity.

Could be the fact that they are employed by other game development companies? I know Shadowstrider is employed by Bethesda.

Anyhoot, I think it is about time that Blizzard apologized. For godsakes, the person just wanted to group with those who won't verbally abuse or harass her just because she happens to be homosexual.

Could be the fact that they are employed by other game development companies?  I know Shadowstrider is employed by Bethesda. 

I don't think Bcookie is tho

Anyhoot, I think it is about time that Blizzard apologized.  For godsakes, the person just wanted to group with those who won't verbally abuse or harass her just because she happens to be homosexual.

Is their some kind of "dating" in WoW or something?

As I see it, the only acceptable basis for refusing to permit mention of members being gay in the description of a guild would be one which considered all romantic characterisations in an RP context inherently disallowed in the game universe.

And while I don't play it, I assume WoW allows heterosexual characterisations just like any other MMORPG.  In-game "marriages" have been a norm in RP MMORPGing (kind of funny that you have to emphasise roleplaying in a roleplaying game as an esoteric exception to the usual way of thing) for years.  Everquest and DAOC have had no lack of "married" RP couples (who may know virtually nothing about each other aside from the fact that both are good at playing in-character) and in game marriage ceremonies as RP events.

It'd be one thing if an MMORPG company said "100% of beings in this world are asexual, reproduce asexually, do not form personal bonds of any kind and create no long term partnerships during their lives - with no exceptions" and sure, they could say anyone who violated that by having a "gay" guild is playing out of character.

But if you're playing in a game universe wherein the population isn't 100% sociopathic, asexual automatons who form no personal associations whatsoever during their lives, you've got to accept the fact that where there is heterosexual pairing, love or partnership, there is also gay pairing, love or partnership unless it is repressed.  Love and partnership are fairly crucial to the human experience.  Denying gay players the experience of the partnerships which they enjoy in the world's RP context would be sheer asininity.

But ... there aren't any weirdo-homosexuals in fantasy land! The only fairies are the little ones with wands that cast spells. :shifty:

Maybe they should rename WoW to World of Rednecks? :-

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It is a important issue and a lot of people have different opinions on it. Of course there are some individuals here that cannot have a mature discussion on such topics which is pretty sad.

Bottom line, people should be able to express who they are and have fun without being bashed, insulted, attacked, and so on. If you don't like a person, or group of persons, or an organization just don't deal with them. leave them alone and they will leave you alone, or at least they should.

It might not be a perfect world but we all have one thing in common and that is the game for we are gamers. We need to focus on the similarities, and not the differences if we are to have a positive gaming environment for all to enjoy. Publishers and developers have a lot of power to create a friendly place for all people or to create one of spite and hate. This is doubly so for those who rely on a strong online community for their revenue.

Edited by Judge Hades

Could be the fact that they are employed by other game development companies?  I know Shadowstrider is employed by Bethesda. 

I don't think Bcookie is tho

I don't know why I was given the title, or why the wookie was. Maybe because we were moderators. Maybe because we're elite hackers from the interweb.

Maybe, just maybe, its because I have had a secret relaytionship with the administrators. too far... I say not far enough!

In any event, it don't matter much, it was just my comeupence.

Anyhoot, I think it is about time that Blizzard apologized.  For godsakes, the person just wanted to group with those who won't verbally abuse or harass her just because she happens to be homosexual.

Is their some kind of "dating" in WoW or something?

My understanding was that no group could discriminate membership based on race/creed/sexual orientation/blah blah/etc... If that is the case I don't think Blizzard needs to apologize. If they ONLY enacted this rule against this person because (s)he is gay, then yeah, it is wack.

The player was violating the Blizzard rules by creating a guild that is centered around sexual orientation, but she had very good cause to do so. Players discriminate and bash the concept of homosexuality on general chat on a regular basis. This is also against the Blizzard rules, but it would be a massive undertaking to ban all the people who do this. They would also have to educate all the kiddies about the fact that using the term "gay" in a negative way is, in fact, discrimination.

I think it was initially a knee-jerk reaction by Blizzard to threaten a ban. I would love to see there not be a need for a guild where gay people are gauranteed respect, but that will require an entire shift in society. Blizzard made the right choice, in my eyes, by relenting and apologizing.

My understanding was that no group could discriminate membership based on race/creed/sexual orientation/blah blah/etc...  If that is the case I don't think Blizzard needs to apologize.

i think that should be the case, since it would help prevent stuff like this from happening. but i guess there are too many people that want to make clans based on the fact that you are a fan of the stealers or whatever... so it isn't the case... :-

My understanding was that no group could discriminate membership based on race/creed/sexual orientation/blah blah/etc...  If that is the case I don't think Blizzard needs to apologize.  If they ONLY enacted this rule against this person because (s)he is gay, then yeah, it is wack.

Discriminating against others and expressing a guild orientation are not one and the same. Ethnic/linguistic community guilds are absolutely abundant. They generally function on a "sure you could join us if you're not one of us, but...why would you want to?" basis. Similarly, this is the way that many sectarian organisations officially recognised by universities or governing bodies are compelled to function. Most universities will not officially recognise a group which officially discriminates on the basis of religion or nationality. But they will officially recognise a campus organisation of, e.g., Arab Muslims, or Korean Christians, or what have you, as long as they function on a "sure you could join us if you're not one of us, but...why would you want to?" basis. Expressing an orientation does not constitute discrimination.

i think that should be the case, since it would help prevent stuff like this from happening. but i guess there are too many people that want to make clans based on the fact that you are a fan of the stealers or whatever... so it isn't the case... :lol:

I heard that! Winners win, okay? Losers make excuses! :angry:

BOT: Blizzard shouldn't have to apologize. It's their community, for one thing. It was even against guidelines in the first place to try to create a "homosexual friendly" community. I think this is mostly a case of the pro-gay community whining becuase they didn't get their way. :p

Edited by Mothman

Players discriminate and bash the concept of homosexuality on general chat on a regular basis.

I see no reason to reveal your sexuality unless you are looking for a partner to begin with, which, suprise, is against the rules of the game.

Blizzard shouldn't apologize for this...

Edited by Lyric Suite

i think that should be the case, since it would help prevent stuff like this from happening. but i guess there are too many people that want to make clans based on the fact that you are a fan of the Stealers or whatever... so it isn't the case... :p

:lol: i live in Washington, so it kind of just came out subconsciously. i personally thought the Stealers played a better game, and would've won even if there weren't any "iffy" calls.

On Topic: i don't have much else to say... i guess Darque said it well, "Meh."

The player was violating the Blizzard rules by creating a guild that is centered around sexual orientation, but she had very good cause to do so.  Players discriminate and bash the concept of homosexuality on general chat on a regular basis.  This is also against the Blizzard rules, but it would be a massive undertaking to ban all the people who do this.  They would also have to educate all the kiddies about the fact that using the term "gay" in a negative way is, in fact, discrimination.

Creating a sanctuary for homosexuals isn't fair to begin with, and won't solve the problem. You don't defeat bad ideas by cutting yourself off. You only defeat bad ideas with better ideas. And like it or not, there will always be people who do not agree with homosexuality. But that does not necessarily make them intolerant or bigotted. It would be better if both sides would learn how to respect each other. But IMO, neither side is helping the matter.

i think that should be the case, since it would help prevent stuff like this from happening. but i guess there are too many people that want to make clans based on the fact that you are a fan of the Stealers or whatever... so it isn't the case... :p

:lol: i live in Washington, so it kind of just came out subconsciously. i personally thought the Stealers played a better game, and would've won even if there weren't any "iffy" calls.

Personally, I think the Steelers played the worse game and the Seahawks had the "iffy" calls. :p But they still won. But I'll stop now.

Edited by Mothman

Players discriminate and bash the concept of homosexuality on general chat on a regular basis.

I see no reason to reveal your sexuality unless you are looking for a partner to begin with, which, suprise, is against the rules of the game.

Blizzard shouldn't apologize for this...

This has nothing to do with revealing your sexuality or finding a date online. People in general chat and in many large guilds openly bash gay people. The term "gay" is used in a negative way on a daily basis. This woman was creating a guild to get away from that talk.

I don't have to disclose my sexual preference to be offended by such behavior. It's not acceptable to bash people based on their race or religion, so why is it ok to make rude comments about being gay?

Hurlshot for the win!

Gabs, that only works if the larger population doesn't use homosexual terms in a negative manner. This person wanted to get away from the constant gay bashing that happens in many online guilds in MMORPGs by making a guild that doesn't pull that crap.

Just because someone is gay does not mean they deserve to be continually harassed.