what PC do you use?

*grumble*

got cheap and passed on the 74 gig wd raptor and instead got the seagate 200 gig. got the seagate for under $100. the wd woulda' cost us $175.

damn.

oh well.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

MESH AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2GHz

1GB DDR SDRAM

Asustek K8V Motherboard

ATi Radeon 9800 Pro w/ 128 MB

Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS

150GB HD

Windows XP Pro

I'll definitely need to upgrade for NWN2, does anyone want to sponsor me

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

AMD Sempron 3000+

1 Gb Kingston RAM

Radeon 9800

17" LCD monitor with 8ms response time.

Onboard Dolby Digital 5.1 encoder connected to a reciever with 5.1 speakers

Cordless keybaord and mouse

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

After a long time without any significant upgrades (just 512M to 1 gig of RAM for WoW), I'm finally replacing some important components in my home system.

* ABIT KN8 SLI Socket 939 Motherboard

* AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Processor

* eVGA 256-P2-N516 Geforce 7800GT

* 2GB PC3200 Kingston ValueRAM

* 74GB 10,000 RPM Western Digital Raptor HD

* Antec TRUEPOWERII 550W Power Supply

I guess all I'm really keeping are the ATX case, DVD-writer, 3.5" drive, and external firewire hard drive. Oh, and my two reliable (but dark) Hitachi SuperScan 21" CRT monitors. I considered running RAID 0 with two 36.5 gig Raptors, but it turns out it doesn't make any significant difference in desktop applications.

Trying to stay up to date with consoles, handhelds, and my PC is expensive.

any experienced folks got feedback on the seagates?

towercard.jpg

By the way, the 74 gig Raptors are now ~$155 at newegg.com.

figures. we did research and we checked out hardforums.com and we did all the right things... and then 3 weeks after we build the rig we has everbody and their grandmother telling us what crap the seagates is.

well, maybe we picks up a raptor... just in case.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I treated myself when I got back from 2.5 years overseas last year so my current rig (home built) is pretty groovy:

AMD XP64 Dual Core 4400+

2 GIG Ram

250 GIG SATA HD

Geforce 7800 GTX 256MB

Soundblaster X-Fi Music Soundcard

Logitex MX518 Optical Mouse (I need one with a clickable wheel)

Samsung 930bf 19" LCD Monitor (4ms response time - it's sweet)

Zalman 5.1 Headphones with mic.

I like to play my games with all graphic options on max so I guess I'm doomed to upgrade fairly often, although hopefully this baby is future-proofed for a little while.

I might upgrade the videocard when the Dirext X 10 models plus games to support them come out in the next year or so, plus will probably go the Vista and 64Bit path as well as long as the reviews are favourable.

Only problem I have is some games don't respond well to the Dual cores and to avoid crashes I have to exit them and disable one of the cores manually, which is a pain in the butt (so far Rome:Total War, Dragonshard and any Source engine game have had these problems).

Edited by DemonKing

Dual Xeon 2.4GHz

2GB RAM

2x80GB HDD

GeForce 4600ti

Gonna grab me a GeForce 6600GT when I get my tax refund. best bang for your buck from what my research tells me. 180 bucks CAD, and can handle everything I want it to for at least 2-4 years(if the life of my GeForce 4 is any indication). Also, not having PCI-E really limits my selection, and upgrading my motherboard isn't a realistic option, since dual boards run at around 1200 bucks.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

My little laptop is nearly two and a half years old (that's 62.5 in human years), so I am planning to build a new one with water-cooled SLI graphics and CPU components, as soon as the next generation (Shader Model 4), motherboard and bus architectures are updated, later this year.

'Til then, I have:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name IBM Thinkpad 41p

Processor x86 Family 6 Model 9 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Pentium M (Banias) ~1694 Mhz

FID 6.0x (17.0x max)

VID 0.956V (max 1.484V)

GPX ATi AGP Radeon Mobility Fire GL T2 128MB

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1 80GB

Locale United Kingdom

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

User Name LAPTOP01\metadigital

Time Zone GMT Standard Time

Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 417.09 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 3.91 GB

Network Intel Pro 1Mb integrated ethernet

dot11 a/b/g wireless LAN Mini PCI Adaptor

Audio SoundMAX integrated Digital Audio

Monitor 17" Hybrid LCD-Plasma (800x600 native resolution)

Internet 2Mb ADSL (soon to be 10Mb cable) broadband.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

*grumble*

got cheap and passed on the 74 gig wd raptor and instead got the seagate 200 gig.  got the seagate for under $100.  the wd woulda' cost us $175.

damn.

oh well.

HA! Good Fun!

Depends on whether you have a SATA-II compliant interface controller (specifically for the Native Command Queuing NCQ), or not:

Quiet, non-SATA II:

Samsung SpinPoint P120S [uK Custom PC]

it_portal_pic_47088_t.jpg

COMPANY: Samsung PRICE:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

My little laptop is nearly two and a half years old (that's 62.5 in human years), so I am planning to build a new one with water-cooled SLI graphics and CPU components, as soon as the next generation (Shader Model 4), motherboard and bus architectures are updated, later this year.

'Til then, I have:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name IBM Thinkpad 41p

Processor x86 Family 6 Model 9 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Pentium M (Banias) ~1694 Mhz

FID 6.0x (17.0x max)

VID 0.956V (max 1.484V)

GPX ATi AGP Radeon Mobility Fire GL T2 128MB

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1 80GB

Locale United Kingdom

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

User Name LAPTOP01\metadigital

Time Zone GMT Standard Time

Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 417.09 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 3.91 GB

Network Intel Pro 1Mb integrated ethernet

dot11 a/b/g wireless LAN Mini PCI Adaptor

Audio SoundMAX integrated Digital Audio

Monitor 17" Hybrid LCD-Plasma (800x600 native resolution)

Internet 2Mb ADSL (soon to be 10Mb cable) broadband.

You're going to see a massive difference going from a laptop to a mega-rig.

Antec P150 with an added 9cm Papst fan for the HDD block

Athlon 64 3500+ with Zalman 12cm Cu

Gigabyte K8NF-9 Ultra (nforce4 ultra)

Gigabyte X800 XL fanless

Samsung 250 GB Sata II

I just ordered these to build a new PC. It should be very quiet, good looking and i should be able to play most of the 2006/2007 games i'm looking forward to (maybe with a CG upgrade): Dreamfall, NWN2, Supreme Commander, New Jersey, Bioshock and some others.

already have:

Samsung 970P

Altec Lansing 251

2 GB PC3200 Samsung RAM

120 GB Segate IDE

60 GB Seagate IDE

160 GB external firewire LaCie

Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe capture card

NEC DVD-RW +/- burner 3500AG

Logitech UltraX keyboard

Logitech MX1000 mouse

Func 1030 mouse surface

Grommir:

- if you removed the air duct, maybe you should have bought a Sonata 1 (if you can find one that is). You should also think about getting a new power supply, the one in the Sonata isn't very reliable - mine died after 8 months and also took my motherboard sound chipset with it.

- Seagate HDD are very reliable in my experience. I tried all the other brands but only Seagate HDDs live more than 5 years (my systems are always on).

Self-built:

MSI K8N Neo4 nforce4

AMD Athlon 3500+

Geforce 6600GT

512 mb ram

250 GB Maxtor HD

I plan on getting another 512 mb's of ram for Oblivion and NWN2, and then I'll probably get a new graphics card later when I have enough money for that. (Preferably 7800GT) :)

Self built. Cheaper that way (provided things work they way they should ;))

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ with standard CPU cooler

1024 Corsair DDR Ram Pc3200

X800 Pro 256 DDR2

Gigabyte Motherboard (can't remember the name exactly.)

Antec Plusview AMG case (weighs too much for its own good)

1x Seagate Barracuda 200gb disk

1x Seagate Barracuda 160gb disk

Sound Blaster sound card with Altec Lansing 2.1 sound system (perfect sound!)

Genius Netscroll mouse (USB)

Logitech Ultra Flat keyboard

NEC ND-2500A DVD/RW

Samsung 1.44 mb Floppy drive (stop laughing!)

Viewsonic 17" TFT screen 12ms.

I've probably forgot something ... but I think that's about the gist of it.

Bugs? Klingon Software does not have 'Bugs'. It has FEATURES and they are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand!

HK-47: "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."

HK-47: "Answer: Select grenades, sonic screamers, cluster rockets and plasma charges. Mines are also effective, since many Jedi will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly Jedi."

well, maybe we picks up a raptor... just in case.

HA! Good Fun!

Do yourself a favor and go get one immediately. I have a 36GB one as my only HD (for now, I didn't have the money for a second when I bought the computer and have lived on years on a 30GB laptop HD previously so I manage) and I've never regretted it. I really, really love it.

Here are my specs:

Self-built

Case: Silverstone TJ06 Silver

Motherboard: Abit AA8XE (Intel 925XE)

Processor: Intel P4 3.0 GHZ

Power supply: Antec Phantom (silent)

GFX: NVidia 6600GT 256 MB from Gainward

Memory: 2x512 MB

HD: 36 GB Western Digital Raptor :p

Optical: NEC DVD burner (slot mounted, silver)

Floppy: None (although I do have a USB one that came with my laptop if I really needs one)

Monitor: BenQ 19" TFT

Sound and network card are both onboard the MB.

To be upgraded with another HD (probably 300 GB) and another GB of memory shortly.

Aside from the aforementioned Raptor, I also love the Phantom power supply. Sleeping in the same room is definitely no problem.

Edited by Spider

Antec P150 with an added 9cm Papst fan for the HDD block

Athlon 64 3500+ with Zalman 12cm Cu

Gigabyte K8NF-9 Ultra (nforce4 ultra)

Gigabyte X800 XL fanless

Samsung 250 GB Sata II

I just ordered these to build a new PC. It should be very quiet, good looking and i should be able to play most of the 2006/2007 games i'm looking forward to (maybe with a CG upgrade): Dreamfall, NWN2, Supreme Commander, New Jersey, Bioshock and some others.

already have:

Samsung 970P

Altec Lansing 251

2 GB PC3200 Samsung RAM

120 GB Segate IDE

60 GB Seagate IDE

160 GB external firewire LaCie

Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe capture card

NEC DVD-RW +/- burner 3500AG

Logitech UltraX keyboard

Logitech MX1000 mouse

Func 1030 mouse surface

Grommir:

- if you removed the air duct, maybe you should have bought a Sonata 1 (if you can find one that is). You should also think about getting a new power supply, the one in the Sonata isn't very reliable - mine died after 8 months and also took my motherboard sound chipset with it.

- Seagate HDD are very reliable in my experience. I tried all the other brands but only Seagate HDDs live more than 5 years (my systems are always on).

the power supply on the original sonata would not be sufficient for our needs. the ps on the sonata ii is more than capable for now... as long as we not add in another hd & a second video card.

have never actually spoken with anybody that uses the duct. is really awkward and it screws with case airflow. can't think of many heatsinks we woulda' used that coulda' coexisted with the duct anyways... forget some zalman, and not a chance in hell with our thermalright. the duct were a nifty notion and maybe they perfect for the eventual sonata iii, but not really is useful as of today.

is kinda funny. you is the first person we seen to complain 'bout the antec ii power supply, and before we built our rig we had few experiences with people complaining 'bout seagate. maybe that tells us something. over at storage review.com and hardocp, seagate is considered the MOST relaible hd available. is not the performance leader, but the 200gb is actually almost as quiet as the samsung spinpoint hd... and samsung not got no warranty. talk to josh and some folks here and a couple of geeks pals we know and they seems to think seagate is crap. 'course the geek friends that helped us settle on this build thought seagate were swell... 'specially as far as being quiet and reliable. we looks at the newegg customer reviews and every single hd and mb has at least a couple peoples who claims that they is crap... heck, is more than a few anti-raptor folks.

the more folks we hears from, the more we is likely to hear that every piece o' hardware we got is doomed.

*shrug*

will get a modular +600w ps at some point, but not today.

HA! Good Fun!

ps

we were warned away from the 36gb raptors in a big way. seen it tested in three different builds and we were amazed at just how poorly it fared. turns out that their performance is actually on par with most quality 7200 hds available. not all raptors is created equal. go figure.

Edited by Gromnir

we were warned away from the 36gb raptors in a big way.  seen it tested in three different builds and we were amazed at just how poorly it fared.  turns out that their performance is actually on par with most quality 7200 hds available.  not all raptors is created equal.  go figure.

I couldn't disagree more. My Raptor has been amazing, the performance is incredible. I have a friend with a 74 and they are about the same.