Violence Today

Sophy

Me and my friend are working on a school project and we must find information about violence in movies, sports and news. Questions are, why are we that much fascinated by violence? Is it normal that we always had a thing for it?After all, we simply traded gladiators and killings for special effects in movies. Are we losing our sensibility, or is it just in human nature after all to be and to like violence? It's a little bit weird, to think that violence isn't just a bad thing, it's a show, something most people like to watch. Anyway what is your opinion?

Me and my friend are working on a school project and we must find information about violence in movies, sports and news. Questions are, why are we that much fascinated by violence? Is it normal that we always had a thing for it?After all, we simply traded gladiators and killings for special effects in movies. Are we losing our sensibility, or is it just in human nature after all to be and to like violence? It's a little bit weird, to think that violence isn't just a bad thing, it's a show, something most people like to watch. Anyway what is your opinion?

I think almost all cultures have violent entertainment of one kind or another. Perhaps being imperilled makes your brain release emergency goodness, and seeing other people imperilled is nearly as good with less danger. I dunno.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"We humans are far better at destroying things than creating them."

This simply isn't true.

We create more humans for example than we kill.

We are much better at creating then destroying. By far.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This simply isn't true.

We populate out of animalistic desire controlled by our savage emotions. Thus we populate the planet like a virus. I doubt a virus is benevolent or creative other than creating it's own kind to destroy.

Edited by Gabrielle

Oh come on, who didn't laugh at the Monty Python black knight. Everybody loves a bit of violence in the right context.

I didn't say that I didn't like violence. In fact, I like it cause I think it's funny most of the time, and Monty Python is one of my favorite movie. What we wonder is why do we find it funny or why do we like to see people get hit or die. A world without violence is impossible. It would be pretty empty. Same thing if we remove every bit of violence in movies, it's going to be boring as hell, and we'll have,what ,not even a hundred movies left?

This simply isn't true.

We populate out of animalistic desire controlled by our savage emotions. Thus we populate the planet like a virus. I doubt a virus is benevolent or creative other than creating it's own kind to destroy.

You know, I've been thinking about this lately.

If you look back at the fosil record, there have been MANY mass extinctions over the milennia.... ice ages... big rocks... maybe we're meant to cause the next one so nature can start over again.

;):lol:

Sheesh. You must be a barrel of laughs to wake up to. I've had people be less than impressed with my hair or my breath, but my SPECIES? :D

Yes we destroy things. Yes we kill. But very very few of us do. Studies done during WW2 showed that by and large your average bloke is absolutely rubbish at killing. (S.L.A. Marshall "Men Against Fire" is one of the key authors, but there have been plenty of corroborative studies). Even when we do kill the negative reactions go on for years if not lifetimes, in the form of PTSD.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think the reason this has been set as an assignment is because it is unanswerable (factually). This is the sort of nonsense that keeps the psychologists at the squishey end of the softest part of the pseudo-science babbling for hundreds of thousands of words per paper, back and forth. (And reading their drivel would cause more violence.)

Normally people seem to find something bad happenning to someone else (Schadenfreude) funny probably because it isn't happenning to them.

This is a universal rule extended to everyone on the planet, except when we see someone getting a speeding ticket.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Hey! Quit dissing psychologists, or me and n****z will bust a long-winded paper about the stroop test in your ass!

Assuming this is a school project I see nothing wrong with considering teh big question before trying to get into the real studies and so on. far too much psychology over the last three decades seems blissfully unconcerned that it is as relevant to real-life as a a condom machine inside a great white shark.

-Elwood Blues

I agree with Gabs on this one...

The human race destroys the entire planet just for their own habitation. Entire races and species of animals/plants/organisms extinct, so some people can get themselves some additional money or living space.

Also, the fact that the growth of the Human population is so enormously fast causes problems with living space and food supplies.

The largest growth is in Africa, and exactly this growth also causes poorness and alot more of the ground to be used to make food for the own population. It is a vicious circle, and it is greatly hurting the natural habitat of the plants and creatures there...

Like WTF? We agree on something?  :shifty:

Yeah, I find it scary too :blink:

Edited by BattleCookiee

Like WTF? We agree on something? :shifty:

I agree with Gabs on this one...

The human race destroys the entire planet just for their own habitation. Entire races and species of animals/plants/organisms extinct, so some people can get themselves some additional money or living space.

Also, the fact that the growth of the Human population is so enormously fast causes problems with living space and food supplies.

The largest growth is in Africa, and exactly this growth also causes poorness and alot more of the ground to be used to make food for the own population. It is a vicious circle, and it is greatly hurting the natural habitat of the plants and creatures there...

:shifty:  :blink:

Sheesh. You must be a barrel of laughs to wake up to.

:huh: Kisses.

Yay! :D ...gawd what a sucker...

Anyway I disagree we are some destructive virus. Yes we have the power to do so. But we are also the only organism on this planet that has a hope in hell of manipulating nature and or getting onto other planets. A kookaburra may live in harmony with it's environment, but it has no awareness of its environment. We are plumbing the depths of science and Creation. We are more than violent beasts.

-Elwood Blues