Cure for AIDS within the decade?

metadigital

Possible Breakthrough for AIDS Cure

Posted by ScuttleMonkey on Wednesday February 08, @01:24AM

from the a-decade-is-the-fast-track dept.

kryonD writes "Researchers believe they have found a new compound that could finally kill the HIV/AIDS virus, not just slow it down as current treatments do. While most of the community is still hesitant to comment on this until it passes peer review, initial results show that their method attacks and kills ALL variations of the virus. A fast track through the FDA could have one of the world's leading problems licked in less than a decade."

Slashdot headline

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

kryonD writes "Researchers believe they have found a new compound that could finally kill the HIV/AIDS virus, not just slow it down as current treatments do. While most of the community is still hesitant to comment on this until it passes peer review, initial results show that their method attacks and kills ALL variations of the virus. A fast track through the FDA could have one of the world's leading problems licked in less than a decade."

Slashdot headline

Sounds promising....but there are articles like this released every couple of months (replacing the word 'AID's' with 'cancer').

Sounds promising....but there are articles like this released every couple of months (replacing the word 'AID's' with 'cancer').

There is no such thing as a "cancer".

There are loads of different diseases/illness and, hence, loads of different cures to be had ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Slashdot headline

We'll the good news is we can kill it...but (the cure) it'll kill you... :D

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

i thought they had found this virus to still be in its infancy and that the vaccine being developed, while being ready in a decade, will be ineffective due the rate of effective mutation/adaption of the virus.

hope they are wrong and in 10 yrs we can combat some other human extinction virus.

I certainly hope we do come up with a cure. HIV/AIDS is the biggest time-bomb ever made. Parts of Africa and Asia have 50-80% infection. And if the thought of foreigners dying can't move you, just think of all the potential for mutation into worse forms exist in so large a group.

EDIT: I still take grim satisfaction that one of the key ANC ministers who denied AIDS existed died ...of AIDS.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

the things is once HIV is stopped, some other virus or bacteria will rise to take its place.

I agree there are always fresh challenges, but this is by far and away one of the most serious we have ever faced. It's reasonably infectious, becoming more so, and has a very high mortality rate. Not only that but death is prolonged and extremely painful.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Isn't the cause, primarily, a lack of education in those less wealthy nations?

A lot of them don't even know they have the disease...or how it's spread.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

didn't they have some sort of crazy breakthrough a while back that more that slows it down? Something about extracting healthy T cells, feeding them dead HIV cells from your own body so they can adapt and protect themselves, then injecting those cells back into your body so they can teach other T cells to protect themselves, essentially halting the virus in its tracks. Not a cure, but it means you won't die from it.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I agree there are always fresh challenges, but this is by far and away one of the most serious we have ever faced. It's reasonably infectious, becoming more so, and has a very high mortality rate. Not only that but death is prolonged and extremely painful.

Same is said about The Plague (Black Death)...

That one might even be worse than this one too, but they could manage that when they found out the cause and it was an easily managable one.

Managing safe sex is a whole different and far more difficult task. Don't get me wrong, it is VERY managable, if it wasn't in the human nature to keep sleeping with other people and ignore the risk of spreading the dissease... <_<

That one might even be worse than this one too, but they could manage that when they found out the cause and it was an easily managable one.

Managing safe sex is a whole different and far more difficult task. Don't get me wrong, it is VERY managable, if it wasn't in the human nature to keep sleeping with other people and ignore the risk of spreading the dissease... <_<

Diseases, pandemics, are the only thing that makes a real dent in human population, looked at historically. Plus their very randomness is doubly disruptive. It slays prince, pauper, genius and moron alike.

I don't know about conrolling it through safe sex. We could definitely use improving, especially in the UK, where all sorts of STDs are on the rise. But the fact is that the virus is relatively hard to contract at present. As it learns and gets tougher even barrier methods may prove unfeasible.

-Elwood Blues

Diseases, pandemics, are the only thing that makes a real dent in human population, looked at historically. Plus their very randomness is doubly disruptive. It slays prince, pauper, genius and moron alike.

I don't know about conrolling it through safe sex. We could definitely use improving, especially in the UK, where all sorts of STDs are on the rise. But the fact is that the virus is relatively hard to contract at present. As it learns and gets tougher even barrier methods may prove unfeasible.

What puts a dent in human population... a war?

There are too many of us anyway. I say let AIDS spread, do the damage and maybe for once humans will evolve to something stronger from the survivors.

I don't know about conrolling it through safe sex. We could definitely use improving, especially in the UK, where all sorts of STDs are on the rise.  But the fact is that the virus is relatively hard to contract at present. As it learns and gets tougher even barrier methods may prove unfeasible.

HIV exists for a very long time. But ofcourse ever since the use of condoms and such reduced (60's, current times) this one and other STD's are on rapid growth.

It is VERY easy to contain, if it wasn't alot of people still sleep unsafe after they know they have it or do not dare to tell that they got infected (because of cheating or such) and thus the wife/man/lover never finds out and gets it spreading too...

Also if they never tell people about it there are these incidents that you can become infected when helping them with a bleeding or using something that had the infected blood of the other on it. AIDS is growing most among gays and whores (no condoms) and junks (sharing the needles with the infected blood)

There are too many of us anyway. I say let AIDS spread, do the damage and maybe for once humans will evolve to something stronger from the survivors.

There are already some (women) immune to HIV, who have no symptoms despite being infected with eight or nine different strains.

Too bad the chance for you being likewise immune is minute. So goodbye astr0creep!

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

There are already some (women) immune to HIV, who have no symptoms despite being infected with eight or nine different strains.

Too bad the chance for you being likewise immune is minute. So goodbye astr0creep!

Are you referring to those african prostitutes? I thought that they were a hoax due to the the tests not being trustworthy or something.