Dreamfall: The Longest Journey trailer

funcroc

There are 9 cities in Dreamfall: Casablanca, Venise, Newport, WATI-City, Marcuria, Corasan, City of the dark people ....

You're very informed :x

You just have to take a look at Ragnar's Blog, he always reveals some tidbits there...

Oh and yes, the game starts in Casablanca.... and Africa is supposed to be a superpower. :)

And Z

You just have to take a look at Ragnar's Blog, he always reveals some tidbits there...

Good to see he's back, after his brief stay at a secret 're-education' facility. :ph34r: I'm sure all his posts will be on-message from now on.

Not many good fan-sites in English, sadly. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I'm the webmaster of a Dreamfall fansite, that's why :sorcerer:

Umm...I can speak Hungarian, English, German...know a little Latin, little Nederlands (Holland), very little Spanish...but too less to read any French at all, sorry. Do you have a site in English/German too? ;)

(I don't even try to ask Hungarian, way less chance then to get killed by a spacecow from Mars :ph34r: )

IB1OsQq.png

I'm the webmaster of a Dreamfall fansite, that's why ;)

Umm...I can speak Hungarian, English, German...know a little Latin, little Nederlands (Holland), very little Spanish...but too less to read any French at all, sorry. Do you have a site in English/German too? :)

(I don't even try to ask Hungarian, way less chance then to get killed by a spacecow from Mars :ph34r: )

You should take some french lessons, it cant hurt :-" From the feeback i have from english visitors, it seems my writting is babelfish friendly.

http://www.black-house.net is the best english fansite.

Good.

Anyone know if the Longest Journey was good? I found it in the store pretty cheap. Bargain bin cheap.  :(

It's cheap because it's fairly old. It's also excellent, a fascinating story, terrific characters (especially the lead), and as the title would suggest, it's long - a lot of game for your money. Buy it. >_<

That's good to hear. I'll pick it up when I'm at CompUSA next time. :p

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Good news for me. I will play the game next week with the producer of the game. I'm allowed to take pics :D

Good to hear. And don't forget to drop in here and provide us with some infos... I'm personally curious about how large the areas will be, and how interactive? The 2D backgrounds from TLJ looked nice, but were non-passable. I hope the Dreamfall levels aren't so tiny due to the lack of Xbox' RAM or something....

Good news for me. I will play the game next week with the producer of the game. I'm allowed to take pics :D

Plz bring a new trailer :D

Say hello to them from Hungary...and ask them about LG 3 :-"

...oh yes: Suggest them to have another game series in the same 'worlds' with an other storyline and..maybe a 'wizard' as main char for episode 1 ;)

IB1OsQq.png

I just came back from the presentation. I had a great 20 minutes interview with Jorgen Tharaldsen, he's a nice guy :ermm: i will need some time to type everything he said. He told me Arcadia/Stark could naturally be used in a RPG or an MMO, but they aren't thinking about it at the moment. About TLJ3: so far it's only in their heads, the game needs to sell well to have a sequel.

The presentation was great, pretty much everything i saw was a spoiler but now i cant wait to play it.

I played the last demo of the first "chapter" of the game in Casablanca, it took me 5 minutes to learn the interface. I'm already in love with Zo

I stopped following the development of Dreamfall for a while but from what I read it's a mixed bag. The lead designer said that they would shorten the dialogues (probably to please the XBox monkeys with an attention span disorder) and the game game length is supposed to be 10-15 hours. I'm also sceptical about introducing fighting and stealth elements which are justified with "bringing the genre forward" and dropping the point-and-click interface for direct control (meaning it's developed for the Xbox first and PC users just have to eat it or leave it). Yeah right, we already know from RPGs what good such approach has done: Thousands of action-adventure clones with minimal role-playing. It's generally a strange move because TLJ is loved as an ADVENTURE game and not some would-be platformer. I hope Funcom knows it's a dangerous intention to reach for new markets with changed gameplay elements and risking to alienate your core fanbase (Brotherhood of Steel anyone ?).

I also don't like that they switched the main character for the sequel but that's a personal preference of mine. I was really interested to continue April's longest journey after the end of the first part and experience her growth as a character first hand and not from the point of view of another character. I have a nagging suspicion that this change is also due to the new Xbox market: It's difficult to make a game for a new audience which would require extensive background knowledge about the main character so it's easier to drop it (main char) alltogether and introduce a new one which has no knowledge about recent happenings at all. I fear that we'll be treated with extensive flashbacks and history lessons to communicate the background history of TLJ to new players although people coming from TLJ will probably know it.

I'm reserving final judgement until the game is out and I have read some descriptions about the gameplay but right now it smells like sell-out to me.

Edited by Antagonist

Some of that may well be true. But since adventure games in that respect have died a death, you can't really blame them for branching out.

Thats always going to be an issue when you continue a series. You obviously don't want to make things so playing the original game is requirement or you put off new players. At the same time with the time period between TLJ and today, a lot of players as well as the industry as a whole will have moved on.

As I recall the first game wasnt that long either. Although the only point I got stuck on was the soda can/paint shaker thing which seemed a little far fetched.

Most of the "time" factor in an adventure game would be thinking about how to progress rather than actual gameplay. I think thats been the case since the Lucas Arts days.

Given the penchant for reaching for a walkthrough the second people become stuck these days, you can no longer factor that in I guess.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I just came back from the presentation. I had a great 20 minutes interview with Jorgen Tharaldsen, he's a nice guy :huh: i will need some time to type everything he said. He told me Arcadia/Stark could naturally be used in a RPG or an MMO, but they aren't thinking about it at the moment. About TLJ3: so far it's only in their heads, the game needs to sell well to have a sequel.

The presentation was great, pretty much everything i saw was a spoiler but now i cant wait to play it.

I played the last demo of the first "chapter" of the game in Casablanca, it took me 5 minutes to learn the interface. I'm already in love with Zo

IB1OsQq.png