Rap Appreciation Thread

Lare Kikkeli

I just read the rap thread thepixiesrock made, and i was shocked to see that almost no one here knows any good rap. New stuff like MF Doom, Buck 65, Sage Francis, Cage, A-Rock, Shadow Huntaz, Tha Blue Herb...Not to mention the old classics like Boogie Down Productions, Eric B & Rakim, N.W.A., Public Enemy, Snoop (only doggystyle though), De La Soul....It's def music, and it can be as complex, beautiful and emotional as any other genre.

I'm more into rock music than rap, but still i can appreciate the good stuff and ignore the bad, like i do in every other genre. Don't be ignorant and judge stuff before actually finding out about it.

Post your favourites here, be them old or new. Also reasons why you dont like rap are welcome, as long as they are constructive and you know what you're talking about.

I just read the rap thread thepixiesrock made, and i was shocked to see that almost no one here knows any good rap. New stuff like MF Doom, Buck 65, Sage Francis, Cage, A-Rock, Shadow Huntaz, Tha Blue Herb...Not to mention the old classics like Boogie Down Productions, Eric B & Rakim, N.W.A., Public Enemy, Snoop (only doggystyle though), De La Soul....It's def music, and it can be as complex, beautiful and emotional as any other genre.

I'm more into rock music than rap, but still i can appreciate the good stuff and ignore the bad, like i do in every other genre. Don't be ignorant and judge stuff before actually finding out about it.

My god! I have finally found another Sage and Buck 65 liker on the internets!

Seriously, this is the kind of rap that I was saying in the other thread that actually has real meaning and poetry, and it is in no way like Eminem, or any other commercial rap out at the moment. I would definately recommend these two, and also Aesop Rock for a little more abstract poetry that he uses in his songs.

I would also recommend a lot of things from this site although some of it there is slightly disturbing :wacko:

Also, I'd like to point out that both Sage Francis and Buck65 mix elements of rock into their music as well, which gives a nice touch.

Edited by Petay

In order: Cypress Hill, Run DMC, Ice-T, Jurassic 5, de la Soul, Public Enemy.

*bones make ancient creaking noises*

Cypress Hill III, Temples of Boom would be one of my Desert Island Disks. Seriously.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Blackalicious or Public Enemy.

Yesssssssssssss.

I saw Blackalicious at some festival thingy over here. They were fantastic.

ADF Soundsystem were also great. I nearly exploded when they dropped the Prodigy's "Charlie" into their set.

Also, if anyone wants some silly (but fun) "jump around" type rap, try Ugly Duckling.

My god! I have finally found another Sage and Buck 65 liker on the internets!

Seriously, this is the kind of rap that I was saying in the other thread that actually has real meaning and poetry, and it is in no way like Eminem, or any other commercial rap out at the moment. I would definately recommend these two, and also Aesop Rock for a little more abstract poetry that he uses in his songs.

I would also recommend a lot of things from this site although some of it there is slightly disturbing :thumbsup:

Also, I'd like to point out that both Sage Francis and Buck65 mix elements of rock into their music as well, which gives a nice touch.

I'm not the biggest anticon fan, but i can see why people love their stuff so much. Buck 65 i do love though, despite he being an ass.

I can't belive i forgot to mention Dizzee Rascal on my previous post, Boy in da Corner is the best debut rap album since Enter the Wu-Tang. Also D

Heavy D, Snoop, Tu-Pac, Notorious B.I.G., Will Smith, Run DMC, Cypress Hill, Wu-tang, Jay-Z, Missy Elliot, Bone Thugs n Harmony ..etc

There is a lot of good stuff. Unlike most other people, though, I listen to music more for the fact that it is "music" rather than poetry. As such, what I care about is if the tune has a good beat or not. Unless I *really* love the song, lyrics are pretty much secondary to me anyhow..

image002.gifLancer

Well, my primary music is Death/Black/Thrash/whatever-metal. But i don't mind a tune of the band "Body Count", if you even can call them a rap-band. And some NWA ofcourse. Any R'n'B, Hip-Hopp Rap that i've seen on MTV the last 10 years has been so craptastic that i can even say that it's the same as the hair-metal of the '80's.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Let's see... rap is not my primary genre of music, but I have managed to find some really cool stuff out there. I dig the Deltron 3030 album that Del the Funkee Homosapien made with Dan the Automator. I've found just about anything the Automator touches ends up being pretty good. He had a mixtape album of sorts called "Wanna Buy a Monkey?" that had a a lot of remixed or reproduced songs with other awesome artists he's worked with, like De La Soul, Gorillaz and Lovage :lol:.

I also like Quality Control and Power in Numbers by Jurassic 5, and NWA before they lost Ice Cube and Dre. Also, I felt an obligation to listen to some Public Enemy to "get myself educated," so to speak, and I've come away with the conclusion that Chuck D is a genius.

Yo Lare -

Is Dalek on Ipecac Records, Mike Patton's label? I'm asking because I think I saw them open up for the Melvins and Tomahawk a year or so ago.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

My primary music is goth/death metal. My stereo can't play rap or country music.

Oh no.. You didn't just go there.. Putting rap and country together in the same sentence?! :-

That should be against the law..

...hmm, this could be interesting, any samples of a rap-country anyone? :p

IB1OsQq.png

Let's see... rap is not my primary genre of music, but I have managed to find some really cool stuff out there. I dig the Deltron 3030 album that Del the Funkee Homosapien made with Dan the Automator. I've found just about anything the Automator touches ends up being pretty good. He had a mixtape album of sorts called "Wanna Buy a Monkey?" that had a a lot of remixed or reproduced songs with other awesome artists he's worked with, like De La Soul, Gorillaz and Lovage :ermm:.

I also like Quality Control and Power in Numbers by Jurassic 5, and NWA before they lost Ice Cube and Dre. Also, I felt an obligation to listen to some Public Enemy to "get myself educated," so to speak, and I've come away with the conclusion that Chuck D is a genius.

Yo Lare -

Is Dalek on Ipecac Records, Mike Patton's label? I'm asking because I think I saw them open up for the Melvins and Tomahawk a year or so ago.

Yeah they're on Ipecac, seems like everything mike patton touches turns to gold. He's my fav guy on the whole industry. Talking about Ipecac, check out Messer Chups, they're this weird russian idm/rock band. Very weird stuff, in a good way.

My primary music is goth/death metal. My stereo can't play rap or country music.

Oh no.. You didn't just go there.. Putting rap and country together in the same sentence?! :ermm:

...hmm, this could be interesting, any samples of a rap-country anyone? :o

Well, in fact De La Soul have sampled Johnny Cash...

Oh no.. You didn't just go there.. Putting rap and country together in the same sentence?! :ermm:

...hmm, this could be interesting, any samples of a rap-country anyone? :o

Well, in fact De La Soul have sampled Johnny Cash...

plz a link maybe, any sample? :huh:

IB1OsQq.png