About the random-battles system in RPGs

ramza

Just to continue my thread about FF XII, I am pretty happy to see that the random-combat system has been abandonned. If you ask for my opinion, I completly hate that system as it is tedious going through areas in which you enter a battle for every 5 steps you make. This has detered me from completing many JRPGs since all of them are using the same system.

The only games I have managed to finish are the ones that didn't use that system and allowed you to avoid confrontations (for this, you just had to avoid running into the enemy). Grandia, Lunar, Saga Frontier, Xenogears... actually these are the only games that are different from the other JRPGs. Even in the FF series, I have only completed final fantasy tactics and FF VII. For the others, I gave up in the middle of the game as I got bored with all the fights.

Fortunately, I found the BG and IWD games and liked the way the fights were managed differenly and in a much better way, making the while situations look more realistic. Especially in BG2, where you had to provoke yourself the fights or where yu just got into them just by chance (being at the wrong place, at the wrong time). After playing those CRPGs, I really wonder if I will ever be able to play again a JRPG without getting bored within the first hour of gaming time. I really hope that FF XII will show some progress compared to the other games.

cheers.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

The Suikoden games are good despite the random battle system.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I really enjoyed playing through Dragon Quest 8, although the worst aspect of that game were the constant battles that popped up everywhere. I wonder why JRPG's in particular rely so heavily on randomized battles?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I think Chrono Cross's battle system was not random too.

"Fortunately, I found the BG and IWD games and liked the way the fights were managed differenly and in a much better way, making the while situations look more realistic. Especially in BG2, where you had to provoke yourself the fights or where yu just got into them just by chance (being at the wrong place, at the wrong time). After playing those CRPGs, I really wonder if I will ever be able to play again a JRPG without getting bored within the first hour of gaming time. I really hope that FF XII will show some progress compared to the other games."

Congtrats! You found the right way. :)

centinexx.png

You should try Romancing SaGa

Do you hate him or somthing?

Also Chrono Cross has this 'bump into baddies to fight' system, but if you're European, you'll have to import.

Shadow Hearts has random battles, but I never found them to be a problem (the game is about 20 hours, so the dungeons are really short and there is a story with actual pacing).

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

The only games I have managed to finish are the ones that didn't use that system and allowed you to avoid confrontations (for this, you just had to avoid running into the enemy). Grandia, Lunar, Saga Frontier, Xenogears... actually these are the only games that are different from the other JRPGs. Even in the FF series, I have only completed final fantasy tactics and FF VII. For the others, I gave up in the middle of the game as I got bored with all the fights.

cheers.

First, I can't stand Final Fantasy.

Second, although Xenogears was a *great* game it had *a LOT* of random encounters. I think you mean Xenosaga instead? In Xenosaga you can always see the enemies on the main view and one was able oftentimes to sneak around them.

But even like that Xenogears managed to be better than any of the Xenosaga games, IMHO.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

I really enjoyed playing through Dragon Quest 8, although the worst aspect of that game were the constant battles that popped up everywhere. I wonder why JRPG's in particular rely so heavily on randomized battles?

This is partly why I am cautious when it comes to playing JRPGs.. The good news, however, is that random wandering encounters are really close to being phased out entirely in modern JRPGS. But that is not the worst of it... What still remains in JRPGS is that awful, boring menu-driven combat system that doesn't allow you to position your characters and lends itself to some serious button-mashing.

I wish more JRPGs had the strategic combat system that Shining Force or Grandia have.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

This is partly why I am cautious when it comes to playing JRPGs.. The good news, however, is that random wandering encounters are really close to being phased out entirely in modern JRPGS. But that is not the worst of it... What still remains in JRPGS is that awful, boring menu-driven combat system that doesn't allow you to position your characters and lends to some serious button-mashing.

I wish more JRPGs had the strategic combat system that Shining Force or Grandia have.

Again, Star Ocean TtEoT.

Random encounters can be annoying at worst, but never "I refuse to play this game"-bad. Either you can't play the game, or you hate the game to begin with, despite random encounters.

I see that more and more JRPG's are departing from the random encounters to a more flexible and tactical approach, which is fine by me. I suspect that some will remain true to the random encounters for nostaltic reasons only.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Random encounters can be annoying at worst, but never "I refuse to play this game"-bad. Either you can't play the game, or you hate the game to begin with, despite random encounters.

I see that more and more JRPG's are departing from the random encounters to a more flexible and tactical approach, which is fine by me. I suspect that some will remain true to the random encounters for nostaltic reasons only.

Would be nice to gain some xp even if some enemies are avoided though. Maybe a stealth or puzzle thing?

Honourable mention should go to Wild Arms 3. While there was a random battle system, before a battle, an '!' would appear above your characters head for about 3 seconds, and it was possible to press a button to advoid the battle. Doing this would drain some energy from your migrant meter depending on the power of the hostile party compared to your migrant level. In other words, it was completely possible to advoid weak badies with no negative side effects at all. Your migrant power could be build up by fighting battles or by picking up cystals littered around areas. Additionally, while the '!' is there, it's also possible to advoid battles by preforming an action, such as jumping off somthing or pushing a block.

Nothing groundbreaking, but a nice system.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

cheers.

First, I can't stand Final Fantasy.

Second, although Xenogears was a *great* game it had *a LOT* of random encounters. I think you mean Xenosaga instead? In Xenosaga you can always see the enemies on the main view and one was able oftentimes to sneak around them.

But even like that Xenogears managed to be better than any of the Xenosaga games, IMHO.

Actually, it has been a long time since I last played Xenogears, but I now remember that there were some maps in which you could avoid the enemies and other maps where the random battle system was used.

Tales of Destiny 1 enters in this category as well.

Edited by ramza

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

You should try Romancing SaGa

Do you hate him or somthing?

Also Chrono Cross has this 'bump into baddies to fight' system, but if you're European, you'll have to import.

Shadow Hearts has random battles, but I never found them to be a problem (the game is about 20 hours, so the dungeons are really short and there is a story with actual pacing).

True, I forgot to mention chrono cross, which is a great game! maybe even better than some FF titles.

Does anyone else know any other JRPGs without a random-combat system?

Just to continue my thread about FF XII, I am pretty happy to see that the random-combat system has been abandonned. If you ask for my opinion, I completly hate that system as it is tedious going through areas in which you enter a battle for every 5 steps you make. This has detered me from completing many JRPGs since all of them are using the same system.

Fortunately, I found the BG and IWD games and liked the way the fights were managed differenly and in a much better way, making the while situations look more realistic. Especially in BG2, where you had to provoke yourself the fights or where yu just got into them just by chance (being at the wrong place, at the wrong time). After playing those CRPGs, I really wonder if I will ever be able to play again a JRPG without getting bored within the first hour of gaming time. I really hope that FF XII will show some progress compared to the other games.

Maybe it is predictably frequent random encounters that you despise? I know I do. That's why I lost interest in playing Wizardry 8: "Oh, I have to travel eighteen square across the map, that is eight-to-nine "random" encounters with groups of eight-to-nine annoying monsters of sufficient power to seriously endanger my party / give one character an annoyingly difficult affliction to cure / etc ... oh stuff it, I can't be bothered ..."

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I can enjoy random-battles, but only if the battle system is interesting and unique.

SMT: Nocturne/ Avatar Tuner I & II have incredibly high battle rate. It's ridiculous sometimes (especially in Nocturne). I never found myself annoyed with the battles however, simply because the Press/Turn battle system is the best turn-based battle system I've ever played. Simple, easy to learn... nearly impossible to master. It keeps the entire game(s) interesting.

However, if the battle system is boring then yes, random-battles really take away from the game. Though, I've never just a quit on a game because of the battle system.

True, I forgot to mention chrono cross, which is a great game! maybe even better than some FF titles.

It's better then all of them. :)"

Actually, it has been a long time since I last played Xenogears, but I now remember that there were some maps in which you could avoid the enemies and other maps where the random battle system was used.

I've replayed the game recently (I always play it after I play a new Xenosaga game).

Those areas that didn't have random encounters... I remember about one. It's safe to say, Xenogears has a random encounter battle system (a horrible battle system half the time too).

Does anyone else know any other JRPGs without a random-combat system?

Is the random encounter system that much of a turn off for you? You listed Lunar... and even though that game did have on-screen enemies... It was pretty much impossible to dodge them (by the end of the game in any case).

Haitoku, may I introduce Wizardry 8.

Wizardry 8, Haitoku.

I'm staying away from that game. :ph34r: