FF XII

ramza

are you looking forward to this game? even though I really like the final fantasy series and own almost every game, I think that the way they have been using the franchise, since the release of the PS2, completely sucks.

FF X got a sequel (and I didn't like the sphere-system of FF X anyway), FF XI is online only and FF XII seems ... like too much... I like the fact that the story takes place in Ivalice but what the heck... I saw so many airships in the trailers that I had the impression that I was watching star wars (with all the visual effects, etc). I hate it when technology gets in a medieval-like setting. FF VI, VII and VIII did manage to successfully combine magic and technology but I am not very convinced by the result in FF XII. Of course, I should first play the game before making any judgements. But I feel nostalgic when I come to play the old-school FF games.

cheers.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Since its by the guys who did FF Tactics and Vagrant Story, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Since its by the guys who did FF Tactics and Vagrant Story, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

My problem is that FF is not what it used to be: medieval or contemporary-like settings with elements of fantasy and technology (FF VII, VIII and IX are the best illustrations for this). Since the series stared to release games on the PS2 and other consoles, they kinda lost their quality... it all became about marketing... FF chronicles sucked, FFTA was uninteresting despite a good class system, etc. FFX looked to me like a hollywood movie with a basic plot and PLENTY of special effects. I have the impression that the FF games ae just reduced to special effects and great FMVs. Just to attract a broader audience, Square has started implemeting the same formula that is used in today's hollywoodian movies. Personally, such a formula does not appeal to me and it is rather tedious to see it in every movie or game. I expect some originality from one game to another but without falling into the "banal" category.

For example, I don't see why they had to include spaceships (that's what they look like) in a heroic fantasy world. They just keep adding whatever feature seems cool to the public, and the final result is usually absurd.

Now, I ain't talking only about FFXII, but that's my general impression of JRPGs. And I have the bad feeling that FFXII is no exception to this general trend.

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Yeah, I think they need to roll back the tech level a bit. FFVI's steampunk type tech level was good, but FFVIII's spaceships, magnetic propulsion systems, anti-grav cities etc. was too much. FFVII wasn't that bad, Midgar was the only really high tech area, the rest was old school. X wasn't bad either, sure it was all crazy high tech before, but that got wiped out.

X was actually one of the better FFs. Beat the crap out of VIII. I'd actually put them in this order (of the ones I played) VI, VII, X, IX, IV, V, VIII

Darque: I think he meant Crystal Cronicles.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Wow. Final Fantasy X is the only one I've tried (except for the earliest Final Fantasy, which aren't like what the Final Fantasy's have come to define) and it was so horrid I couldn't even get through the intro. Of course, it didn't help that the intro was 5+ hours either..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Darque: I think he meant Crystal Cronicles.

Ditto

I like most of the Final Fantasy games that i've played (FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, FFX). While i like that they've made the battles a bit more like KotOR (no random encounters), but i what i don't like is the setting: Ever since FFIX, it's been some kind of medieval/fantasy setting. FFVII and FFVIII had some interesting setting with blending modern technlogy and magic. I like to see that once again.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Also, who knows when FFXII is released in America/Europe? The only thing we know, is that it's released in march 16th in Japan.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

...and another point: I don't like how Square-Enix is milking the game either, there's a "Special FFXII-gamepad", "Special FFXII-designed PS2", "Special memory card for FFXII" and a "Pre-release official guide with facts and info" + the regular soda drinks, action figures etc, etc.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Unless JRPGs eventually decide to improve their storytelling and actually take advantage of gaming as an interactive medium, I'm better off just watching anime.

FFXII isn't something I'm really looking forward to. I'm not saying I wouldn't play it if it suddenly popped up along with a PS2, but I'm not going out of my way to play it.

When a game caters to bunny-ears furry lovers - and I've heard enough 'man, Fran is HOT' comments - it is *not* a good thing.

fran1.jpg

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I looove Final Fantasy... But.

I was disapointed with FFX and FFX-2 is just so boring. I never played FFXI because I have to pay to play, even on PS2 so no thank you, the initial 60$ is enough for me.

I'm hoping that FFXII will make a return to the old ways of FF but my hopes are not very high. I try to stay away from info on the game because story is always very important in FF and I don't want to be spoiled.

FFIX was a mix of elements from previous FFs and was said to be an hommage to those games, also closing Square's involvment with the PS1. Maybe FFX was also a step in another direction for the franchise then.

Unless JRPGs eventually decide to improve their storytelling and actually take advantage of gaming as an interactive medium, I'm better off just watching anime.

FFXII isn't something I'm really looking forward to. I'm not saying I wouldn't play it if it suddenly popped up along with a PS2, but I'm not going out of my way to play it.

When a game caters to bunny-ears furry lovers - and I've heard enough 'man, Fran is HOT' comments - it is *not* a good thing.

fran1.jpg

do you have a problem with bunnies? :rolleyes:

I had that problem playing one (whatever FF it was, back on the PSone: I give up with trying to decipher the arcane numbering system :)).

I got stuck after I decided that I wanted to do a particular map, and it was obvious (from my PC's survival statistics) that it wasn't where I was meant to go. That and Chokobos. They gave me the chips.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

While I am hoping that this game is good, it isn't something I'm all hyped up about.

And I love JRPGs, I've always prefered a good linear story over a bad story with lots of choices. It's just that the last few Final Fantasy games haven't really been all that great and I don't expect SquareEnix to go back to their old game formula.

Played the demo that came with DQ8. Loved it. Can't wait until it's released later this year! I haven't enjoyed playing a FF game since IX. FFX & FFX-2 didn't work for me. I just couldn't get into the story and I didn't like the whole sphere system. Tidus was a whiney ass bitch but Auron was pretty cool. FFXI was actually a fun online game if you have 24/7 to invest in it. I like playing MMO's but FFXI was for the most part EQ covered with FF graphics and like all Asian MMO's they're nothing but grind fests.

I think they're doing some cool things with FFXII, some which are big changes from what we've been used to in past FF games. No more random battles -- gotta love that. We'll see how it turns out.

The ONLY thing I liked about FFX-2 was the return of the Job system. If the story wasn't about a wannabe Lara Croft tagging along with her Charlie's Angels crew, looking for her whiney boyfriend, I may have enjoyed it. o:)