Turn based startegy game

astr0creep

Hello,

I'm a big turn-based strategy fan but they are very rare to my knowledge.

Other than X-Com, Civilization, Age of Wonders, Disciples, HoMM and Master of Orion, does anyone know of any others? I'm looking for some less known games, games that could've slipped under my radar. Any suggestions? What are your favorites and why?

Thank you :o

Edited by astr0creep

Whats BotF? EDIT: Never mind I just noticed its a link... <_<

I played Away Team

I also played Jagged Alliance, GalCiv1, Fallout 1-2&Tactics and those mentionned above in the original post.

This is scary...

Edited by astr0creep

Galactic Civilizations 2

Out very soon. :)

The earlier GalCiv is also definitely worth picking up.

GalCiv2: better then ever, if any game can kick MoO2 from throne, than this one :blink:

PS: you don't need to buy GalCiv1 if you buy 2, the 2nd has anything what the 1st had, and WAY much more :)

IB1OsQq.png

Galactic Civilizations 2

GalCiv2: better then ever, if any game can kick MoO2 from throne, than this one :blink:

PS: you don't need to buy GalCiv1 if you buy 2, the 2nd has anything what the 1st had, and WAY much more :)

Well I already have the first one although I didn't play it much, not sure why. INSTALL!

Hello,

I'm a big turn-based strategy fan but they are very rare to my knowledge.

Other than X-Com, Civilization, Age of Wonders, Disciples, HoMM and Master of Orion, does anyone know of any others? I'm looking for some less known games, games that could've slipped under my radar. Any suggestions? What are your favorites and why?

Thank you  :blink:

You can try out Battle for Wesnoth. A completly free game. At least, there is nothing to loose.. :D

http://www.wesnoth.org/

centinexx.png

Galactic Civilizations 2

GalCiv2: better then ever, if any game can kick MoO2 from throne, than this one :)

Well I already have the first one although I didn't play it much, not sure why. INSTALL!

It has some bugs, get the patch..and its a little boring, that why I say to buy the 2nd part. That will not be boring even a little :)

IB1OsQq.png

Not out yet, but Tactica Online is one of my most anticipated games. http://www.tacticaonline.com

Basically, a tactical TB game focused on PvP.

I've been watching this too. It will be interesting to see if they can pull it off. They've been calling it a MMORPG with TB squad level combat...which has never really been tried, that I know of.

Laser Squad Nemesis, from the Gollops (X-Com) was touted as the greatest TB strategy of them all, the only problem is you have to pay if you want to play it online and it's quite a few years old now but it is still being continually updated. You can download a demo though, I'll have to give it a go myself sometime.

http://www.lasersquadnemesis.com/Sub/RegularSub/index.htm

Edited by Jumjalum

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

Laser Squad Nemesis, from the Gollops (X-Com) was touted as the greatest TB strategy of them all, the only problem is you have to pay if you want to play it online and it's quite a few years old now.  You can download a demo though, I'll have to give it a go myself sometime.

http://www.lasersquadnemesis.com/Sub/RegularSub/index.htm

It's very cool, but its only online play, unless they implemented a single player campaign. I played when it first came out. It's pretty complex, I got wiped out quite a few times. Grenades are very unpredictable.

Seems they've added a bunch of stuff, including a SP campaign. From a quick glance at the forums they're still adding and tweaking things. For $10 I think I'll just get it myself. :)"

Here's what you get for just US$9.95 (including tax):

* The Single player campaigns - 20 missions involving Marines, Machina, Spawn and Greys. Each mission takes 2-3 hours to play, with three different difficulty levels.

* FREE updates and patches for 2 YEARS - from the date of your purchase. LSN is a continuously evolving game system, and we will be making many improvements and additions in response to your feedback.

* Bonus 1 month online play - you get one months online subscription included for free. Challenge opponents online, gain a league ranking and take part in competition tournaments. We also provide options for extended online subscription periods for 3, 6 or 12 months.

* Unlimited 'hotseat' play - play against a friend on the same computer.

* Bounty scheme - recruit a friend and gain 1 months extra subscription for playing online.

* 30 day money back guarantee - If you are disatisfied with the game for any reason we will refund your money in full within 30 days of your purchase.

Edited by Jumjalum

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

indie games:

Battles of Norghan

Natuk

Dominions II

Space Empires IV

Land of Legends

older games:

Master of Magic

Fantasy General

Lords of the Realm

the Heroes of Might & Magic series

console:

Dark Wizard (Sega CD)

Tactics Ogre (PS1)

Tactics Ogre (GBA)

Rebelstar (GBA)

Wow thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. Tactics Ogre was great on GBA. I thought Lords of the Realm was RTS for some reason. I am unfamiliar with most of your list. Thank you!

You can always download ROMs of old console strategy games:

the best ones I know are Final Fantasy Tactics (PSOne), FFT advance (GBA), Front Mission 3 (PSOne), Vandal Hearts (PSOne)

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

It's reaaalllly Old, But Soldiers at War was one of the best squad based Tactical Turn based Games I ever played. It has a Mechinism in the game called oppertunity fire, which basicly means on your turn if you cross the sights of an enemy posed to attack with more "Action Points" left then you currently do it switches back to his turn for the sole purpose of allowing him to spend his stored points, moving away or firing upon you, before it switches Back to the remainder of your turn. (this works in your favor too)

It's a World War 2 Game from SSI which came out about the same time as Fallout.(which is another Highly recomended one)

Theres Also the Fallout Series (1 and 2 are the best, Tactics is kinda lame). Planescape Torment is a good one, but hard to play cause the graphics are pretty old. Theres a Whole slew of DnD style Turn based Games to check out.

Arcanum is a wonderfull game (if you can find the Patch) which can be set to turnbased mode which is pretty good.

There really isnt too many new games I am aware of that are turnbased however, and thats very unfortunate. Tis the way of the world I guess.

:)