Is rap "music"?

thepixiesrock

Dude, you completely misinterpreted everything I said. I never said singing was neccesary.  If it was, I wouldn't be a rabid Mogwai fan.  I just said talking isn't music, and talking over a drum machine and a sample does not equel music, no matter how you try to spin my words.

Because you said it isn't music? That's really the only reason you give as to why drums and talking isn't considered music. You see, rhythm is classified as music. Drum are an instrument, and a drum beat alone constitutes as music. Many countries in Africa and South America have music based on drums alone. And also, you are sying that if "Mogwai" wasn't classified as music, you wouldn't like it? I'm not twisting your words there, you said that. You said "If it was [neccesary], I wouldn't be a rabid Mogwai fan."

It's not music, it's a poetry presentation with aural ambience, nothing more, nothing less. I still don't understand how anyone ever came up with the idea of classifying it as a genre.

That people consider rap music doesn't change the fact that it isn't. I mean, there are still people out there who consider Hitler a good guy too. What people consider means diddley squat.

They got the idea because it shows a few of the core elements needed to make music. Rhythm, and most of the time, there is a little jingle playing in the background.

Because you hate rap so much, doesn't mean your bias opinion is fact. I hate rap. I loathe it. That doesn't mean it isn't music.

If it were music, then street gangs would be considered as girly as The West Side Story. Because that's the kind of context in which gangs who use music goes.

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Wow, you're an idiot. Ok, lets just go along with the whole "rap isn't music" thing here just for a second. Gangs aren't considered girly now listening to rap, how would they be considered girly if we called rap "music"? It is still the same thing, but now, since it is music, the rap makes the gang look girly. Do you see the problem with that?

One thing you are either (a)forgetting or (b) didn't know, is that a lot of rap has a melody playing in the background.

You are trying to argue with me when you seem to have a complete lack of understanding of (a)rap and (b)music.

Er...

Continue?

Edited by thepixiesrock

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Like, do we get the original thread back, or like do we start over?

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Ok, continue discussion here.

Nice job Pix

Rap is music. You don't have to like it. If a vocalist goes on stage and sings without instruments, it's still called music. Rappers may not hit high notes like a singer, but they use rhythm and voice inflection to create melodies.

While I feel most things are relative, and even most things having to do with music is also relative, I do not think that what makes up music is. I feel that there are certain components that make up music, and that as long as you have those, then you have music. I don't feel it right if you say one thing is music, and then you take something with the same core elements and say it isn't.

A child hitting a tin with a wooden spoon is music, that doesn't make it good music.

You told me you liked that song!

Saying that Rap isn't music it's not to be taken literally, it's only a mean of slander against a form of musical expression that is so basic, so uninteresting and so vulgar to be prive of any artistical merit.

Therefore, whilst Rap may be music by definition, it's simply not a form of true artistical expression... :wacko:

Edited by Lyric Suite

Dude, that wasn't just my sister...

It was...

Yours...

The "definition" of music has been "expanding" since long before the 1500's. During the Fux era, it was considered a sin even to play certain intervals. You weren't creating "music" unless you followed certain rules. And that is the problem. Popular opinion of what music is, is not the same as what the definition of music could be.

The entire music industry agrees that it is music.  I'm guessing they are right.

The entire music industry would agree to anything that would increase their benefits. I'm guessing they know a thing or two about business.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.