Revan / Raven

I don't know if everyone makes this point at some stage or another, but does anyone think Darth Revan may be named after Edgar Allan Poe's classic poem 'The Raven'?

The poem is at-

http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/poe/works/poetry/raven.html

And you should read it if you haven't yet. It's great.

The poem uses a raven as a metaphor for the narrator's lost love, which refuses to leave his bedroom and serves as a constant reminder of his dead lover Lenore.

I was reading it just now and noticed that the raven is at one point described as 'this ebon bird'. Now obviously the name 'Ebon Hawk' is a reference to the 'Millennium Falcon' but maybe this and Revan's name are also Poe references.

Revan's all-covering black robes give him a ravenlike appearence, as well as suggesting a supernatural, wraith-like nature. The bird is compared frequently to demons in the poem, or mentioned alongside spiritual or religious images (angels, Eden and such.) Revan is the character with the strongest association with the supernatural in terms of the Force and his/her sliding between the two sides.

This is a weak point, but as the narrator seems not to understand the raven's motivation in taunting him due to its refusual to say anything but 'nevermore', so are Revan's reasons for turning to the dark side not explained in KOTOR1, leaving the galaxy to wonder.

Lastly, the bird is essentially a metaphor for the narrator's feelings of loss, which drive him to an unhinged state as the bird reminds him of his lost 'Lenore'. Now everyone Revan influences seems to have a sense of loss connected with the Dark Lord. Almost all the KOTOR 1 and 2 NPC's have their own losses that haunt them. Bastilla has a lost childhood to face up to and mourns the 'loss of such a promising young knight' as Revan. Carth, of course, has his lost wife and son. Juhani has the loss of her parents, Mission misses Griff, Canderous 'weeps for his past' etc. Also in KOTOR 2, Atton, Bao-Dur, Brianna, Disciple, Canderous, Visas, Mira, Hanharr, and of course, Kreia and the Exile, are all governed by the losses of their own pasts, which are all the result of Revan and the Exile's actions at Malachor V. Revan looms like Poe's raven as a reminder of all their personal losses, and the galaxy's loss.

Malak, the Exile and Kreia in particular seem to have been driven to despair and the dark side by their losses associated with Revan, much as the narrator in the poem is driven to 'shrieking' and a permanent state of terror and remorse by the raven. As the crews from each game board the Ebon Hawk, the effects of Revan's actions become apparent and bring forth memories all of their losses, forcing them to confront their pasts and some (particularly on D/S playthroughs) end up in a similar state to Poe's narrator. Perhaps the Ebon Hawk rather than Revan himself acts as the raven, reminding our two collections of tortured individuals of their missing pasts.

One more thing. Another weak link. In the poem Poe frequently suggests a regal or 'lordly' nature to the Raven based on its poise. Revan of course is a dark Lord, and commands huge respect (or fear) from almost every character.

Okay that's it. Do you folks think Revan's name is a reference to the Spiffy cleaned tombstone of one of our best writers? Or am I talking crap because I'm bored and pretentious?

Edited by darth buch

Interesting thoughts... it does add up though. I guess the only thing missing was someone killing themself because of Revan

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Ah it's a great poem. I think a lot of my points were really stretched there, but I'm glad I wrote that as I've always thought there may be some similarities to the Raven. I suppose we'll never know if any of these are deliberate references.

Quoeth the Raven nevermore!

Interesting similiarities.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

And i thought Revan was Revan because it sounded cool. :rolleyes:

Nice point.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I don't know if everyone makes this point at some stage or another, but does anyone think Darth Revan may be named after Edgar Allan Poe's classic poem 'The Raven'?

The poem is at-

http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/poe/works/poetry/raven.html

And you should read it if you haven't yet. It's great.

The poem uses a raven as a metaphor for the narrator's lost love, which refuses to leave his bedroom and serves as a constant reminder of his dead lover Lenore.

I was reading it just now and noticed that the raven is at one point described as 'this ebon bird'. Now obviously the name 'Ebon Hawk' is a reference to the 'Millennium Falcon' but maybe this and Revan's name are also Poe references.

Revan's all-covering black robes give him a ravenlike appearence, as well as suggesting a supernatural, wraith-like nature. The bird is compared frequently to demons in the poem, or mentioned alongside spiritual or religious images (angels, Eden and such.) Revan is the character with the strongest association with the supernatural in terms of the Force and his/her sliding between the two sides.

This is a weak point, but as the narrator seems not to understand the raven's motivation in taunting him due to its refusual to say anything but 'nevermore', so are Revan's reasons for turning to the dark side not explained in KOTOR1, leaving the galaxy to wonder.

Lastly, the bird is essentially a metaphor for the narrator's feelings of loss, which drive him to an unhinged state as the bird reminds him of his lost 'Lenore'. Now everyone Revan influences seems to have a sense of loss connected with the Dark Lord. Almost all the KOTOR 1 and 2 NPC's have their own losses that haunt them. Bastilla has a lost childhood to face up to and mourns the 'loss of such a promising young knight' as Revan. Carth, of course, has his lost wife and son. Juhani has the loss of her parents, Mission misses Griff, Canderous 'weeps for his past' etc. Also in KOTOR 2, Atton, Bao-Dur, Brianna, Disciple, Canderous, Visas, Mira, Hanharr, and of course, Kreia and the Exile, are all governed by the losses of their own pasts, which are all the result of Revan and the Exile's actions at Malachor V. Revan looms like Poe's raven as a reminder of all their personal losses, and the galaxy's loss.

Malak, the Exile and Kreia in particular seem to have been driven to despair and the dark side by their losses associated with Revan, much as the narrator in the poem is driven to 'shrieking' and a permanent state of terror and remorse by the raven. As the crews from each game board the Ebon Hawk, the effects of Revan's actions become apparent and bring forth memories all of their losses, forcing them to confront their pasts and some (particularly on D/S playthroughs) end up in a similar state to Poe's narrator. Perhaps the Ebon Hawk rather than Revan himself acts as the raven, reminding our two collections of tortured individuals of their missing pasts.

One more thing. Another weak link. In the poem Poe frequently suggests a regal or 'lordly' nature to the Raven based on its poise. Revan of course is a dark Lord, and commands huge respect (or fear) from almost every character.

Okay that's it. Do you folks think Revan's name is a reference to the Spiffy cleaned tombstone of one of our best writers? Or am I talking crap because I'm bored and pretentious?

I like it...

Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot