New Oblivion Interview

Llyranor

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/t/theelder...ginoblivion.htm

"Howard: I wish they weren't so smart, actually. We spent forever making them really smart, and probably the last few months making them dumber"

"If we focus on anything most though, it is the "dungeon hack" experience. That's the meat of the game. I mean, if you look at Arena, the first Elder Scrolls game, it's basically a giant dungeon hack, and it's awesome. So that was our first goal

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

*Tries to hang on to a shred of optimism*

I dunno, could work. Icewind Dale worked.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Sounds like he's just laying on the PR to get the Diablo crowd in to me. It's in complete contradiction with just about everything they've released about the game so far.

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

I like a good dungeon hack as much as the next guy. I'll be glad to give it a shot.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/t/theelder...ginoblivion.htm

"Howard: I wish they weren't so smart, actually. We spent forever making them really smart, and probably the last few months making them dumber"

"If we focus on anything most though, it is the "dungeon hack" experience. That's the meat of the game. I mean, if you look at Arena, the first Elder Scrolls game, it's basically a giant dungeon hack, and it's awesome. So that was our first goal

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"on the surface, it's your standard fantasy fare. But I guess because of our game style, we're able to present this depth to the world that you just don't get to experience in other games. Like what kinds of flowers grow, what people's literature and customs are like, how races react to each other. I think a lot of games have great worlds and amazing back-stories that you don't necessarily get to experience, and because of the first-person giant-freeform style of our stuff, you can."

Wait, what?

Hadescopy.jpg

Xbox.com: Finally, seeing as you're fighting off a bunch of demons in the game, what's the one thing you should never, ever say to an angry, slavering representative of the hordes of hell?

Howard: "How's your wife ... and my kids?"

:rolleyes:

Sounds good. I'm still looking forward to it and have already pre-ordered. All the delays though... :(

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

The thing that worries me is that they've broken out with the "Our AI is so smart" stuff, nearly every example they give is one of the AI *exploiting* the game, and then breaking it (to a degree). They aren't "dumbing down" the AI because it's too "smart" for the player, they are giving it artificial restrictions because now they are finding that it does things they did not account for.

On one hand, it is a hopeful sign of what Radiant AI could be... but on the other hand, it's not "smart" at all, just random.

Which is why you want the AI to adapt improved behavior rather than just pumping up its skill numbers. If the AI baddies cooperate with one keeping you pinned down while the other maneuvers to flank you, you can *still* just go rambo and destroy them if you chose a lower difficulty level. That doesn't make it 'bad AI'.

Hadescopy.jpg

Though the situation you described isn't necessarily "adaptive" AI though. When I think "adaptive" I typically think "learning" AI.

Getting a squad to have soldiers assess an appropriate course of action in terms of pinning you down and flanking you is probably less difficult. Though it'd still need to analyze the situation to determine appropriate actions. It would still need to have those actions decided.

A good AI is pretty computationally expensive. I suspect we'll be waiting until we have AI expansion cards (or multicore processors where a developer uses a core specifically for AI) before we see any significant changes.

The one bad thing about online gaming is finding people to play with, and then finding times to play with them. I'm not a big fan of playing with random people anymore, as they tend to be annoying twits. I'd rather play against a stupid AI.

Even on the best servers in the best games n00bs show up and people who try to cause as much misery as they can...

It is even worse in Teamwork games, because if you need to work together, you really don't wan't to have such an idiot hanging around.

Only solution; Become the Admin/Referee and kick off everything you hate... :thumbsup: It is how I survived it in some game on a server for 1/2 year