NWN Writing Contest - The Modules

Llyranor

Well, my threshold for crap has gone down. With 300+ mods, I'm less willing to give subpar ones a chance. My criteria for dismissal is pretty much 'Would I really want this author to potentially work at Bioware?' If I can answer within 30 secs, then the next mod gets loaded up.

Bioware003:

Nice title. Deekin? No. NO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Oh, right, and writing failed to captivate me. Nice try. Score: 5.

A Forgotten Temple:

The writing failed to captivate me. Sorry. Score: 5.

A Scurvy Death:

Erm, the main quest wasn

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

You're pretty generous with your scores. I've noticed interesting distributions of points handed out that are always quite heavily tilted towards 7-8 as the mean.

No one feels good about handing out that 2 or 3. 1 is actually a lot easier. On a scale from 1-10, the most common values are 10, 9, 8, 7 and 1 :thumbsup:

Yeah, I admitted being generous. It really depends on whether I think the author put a good effort into it or not.

When I officially vote on NWVault, though, things will be a lot more extreme. I intend of doing my part in keeping horrible writers away from Bioware and giving the better ones a better chance.

I can't help but think the contest is flawed. Given that so many of the winners will be decided by the community. Honestly, how many in the community will fairly play through all 300+ mods? If you only play the ones from the popular ones and ignore the lesser known potentially good writers, so much for the contest.

Hadescopy.jpg

Eight (:p submissions will be selected in total:

* Three (3) modules will be selected by a panel of judges made up of recognized leaders in community modules development

* Five (5) additional modules will be selected based on community votes at NWVault

These top eight (:) submissions will be reviewed by BioWare senior staff members Kevin Barrett and James Ohlen with the intent on finding and hiring talented writers. Further interviews and additional samples of your work may be required at the discretion of BioWare.

5 mods is a lot, and if those 5 are just going to be popular authors while less known ones don't even get played, then meh.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

I can't help but think the contest is flawed. Given that so many of the winners will be decided by the community. Honestly, how many in the community will fairly play through all 300+ mods? If you only play the ones from the popular ones and ignore the lesser known potentially good writers, so much for the contest.

I think that playing through enough mods per day that it becomes a chore to you is going to mess things up as well, though. Bioware says they'll go through them all, but they're getting paid for it and you're not. "Writers I'd definitely want to see at Bioware" isn't too bad a criteria, but if you want to be consistent, you really should play the mods for longer than 30 seconds - that's not fair at all. Yes, Bioware said that it's important for the first character/dialogue to be engaging, but they didn't say that that should determine everything - I played several mods that didn't have brilliant beginnings but became much better.

Really, aim for playing half of the mods all the way through, and you'll be doing a much fairer job all-around.

I'm also troubled by the inconsistency I've seen in the votes so far - lots of people judging as if these were meant to be full modules and not writing contest entries and complaining that the mod is too short or even "confined", some people outright lying about the module content and giving them low rankings, people consistently giving higher votes to well-known mod-makers or popular folks on the Bio boards, and people giving higher votes for scripting.

I am following my fish.

A temporary home for stranded ML'ers

I agree with Aurora.

One of the main reasons why I didn't enter was because I felt I didn't have enough noteriety in the NWN community to garner the "popular vote."

How many of these people have friends that vote 10 for them, and 1 for everyone else?

I think that playing through enough mods per day that it becomes a chore to you is going to mess things up as well, though. Bioware says they'll go through them all, but they're getting paid for it and you're not. "Writers I'd definitely want to see at Bioware" isn't too bad a criteria, but if you want to be consistent, you really should play the mods for longer than 30 seconds - that's not fair at all. Yes, Bioware said that it's important for the first character/dialogue to be engaging, but they didn't say that that should determine everything - I played several mods that didn't have brilliant beginnings but became much better.

30 secs is a lot of time in assessing whether or not the author even has remote potential. There are lots of subpar mods out, and I've been more than generous in giving the ones showing promise a chance. If I feel that the writing is completely uninspiring and that nothing about the design or story even remotely draws me in, then the mod fails. I've willing to give people a chance, but I'm not going to tolerate crap.

Hadescopy.jpg

"One of the main reasons why I didn't enter was because I felt I didn't have enough noteriety in the NWN community to garner the "popular vote."

Yeah; but you'd still have the 3 mods BIO would choose themselves. Don't worry about the community; but your potential future bosses (if you had entered the contest).

Remember, being a finalist in this contest doesn't guarantee employment.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

30 secs is a lot of time in assessing whether or not the author even has remote potential. There are lots of subpar mods out, and I've been more than generous in giving the ones showing promise a chance. If I feel that the writing is completely uninspiring and that nothing about the design or story even remotely draws me in, then the mod fails. I've willing to give people a chance, but I'm not going to tolerate crap.

Okay, but "completely uninspiring" and "crap" are a LOT different from what you were saying about the mods in the straight-5s post. If it's riddled with typos, blatant grammatical errors, and filled with very poor writing, that's one thing - but I've played about 20 mods so far at random, and I haven't seen more than one or two mods with any of those things. (And honestly, that surprised me, given the usual level of writing on the vault - I've played exactly one normal module that had very good writing and only a few others with passable writing). I've played some that started out slow and got better, and some that had promising beginnings but didn't really go anywhere, and some that didn't have the best dialogue but good evenly spread out writing, etc.

Either way, I don't believe it's fair to vote without playing the entire module - moving on and ignoring it, fine, but there's no way you can seriously evaluate a module without playing it all the way through. Something might surprise you and make you up your score a bit, or something might make you drop it even further - but telling someone that you gave their mod a 2 because they didn't draw you in within 30 seconds is just going to make them write you off as someone who's trying to screw up the competition. Bioware has assured the community that they'll be looking over the votes as well, and I'm almost certain that they'll discount that kind of vote.

I am following my fish.

A temporary home for stranded ML'ers