KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

Here is an idea that i had about how I'd like the whole 'lightsabre' thing to work in K3.

You can build your lightsabre at level 5 but it is weak say 1-12 damage and can't be fitted with upgrades. As you travel around you learn how to improve your lightsabre (at say lvl 10) and then it becomes 1-16 damage and you can put in additional cystals. Some more time passes (say when you reach level 14-15) and you learn how to further improve your lightsabre. Now it becomes 1-20 damage and can take cystals and upgrades.

The improvements could coincide with your development as a jedi. You first make your lightsabre when you become a padawan. You then upgrade it when you become a full Jedi Knight. The final upgrade comes when you become a Master.

So how about that? To me that makes it a little more realistic.

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

How much was KotoR based off SW D20. Was it a compelete rip or just 'inspired by'?

Levels - completely d20

classes - the jedi division into consulars and guardians is from d20, while the sentinel is a new invention. The prestige classes are also from d20, but they are not as in K2. For one, they can have any sort of prerequisites, demanding certain levels in certain skills and certain combat modifiers (which means having certain levels of experience). But rarely do the rules demand a specific level. The prestige classes aren't as LS/DS as in K2. The Sith Marauder and Jedi Master are prestige classes in d20, but not the others. On the other hand, there are Dark Side Devotees, while the jedi can become Jedi Ace (fighter pilot) or Jedi Investigator (which is probably a bit closer to the sentinel/watchman). The non-jedi classes in KotOR are just as in d20, though.

vitality/wounds - completely d20

feats - these have been revised a bit and new feat-trees added in KotOR, but they are still very obviously inspired by the d20 rules. Most of the feats seen in K1 have clear counterparts in d20.

skills - these are pretty much carbon-copies of d20, except there are far more skills in d20, which also had skills like piloting, knowledge, professions, etc.

weapon stats - completely d20

combat - KotOR games have a system that give a fair representation of the d20 system in the sense of initiative order and number of attacks. The feats work quite differently, though. In KotOR the various combat feats (Flurry, Power Attack, etc.) are mutually exclusive in that you can use only one at a time. Not so in d20 - if you several feats, then they can all be used cumulatively - it's completely possible to use Heroic Surge (which became Flurry in KotOR) with the added chance of double damage from your Critical Strike and the extra damage of Power Attack.

To say that it was loosely based on the PnP version would be a severe understatement.  The basic d20 role game mechanic is the same but the way classes, skills, and feats work are completely different for the most part as well as how Force powers are used and combat.

Such as there are Wound and Vitality instead of Hit Points and Force Points.  In the PnP version All noncritical damage and force use take away from Vitality.  Vitality goes up each level based on your hit die.  If you get to 0 Vitality you cannot use Force abilities and all damage goes to your Wound.  The number of your Wound points is equal to your Constitution.  A critical hit goes directly to your Wound.  If your Wound hits 0 you are dead.  Also armor does not help against Defense.  Armor gives you a Damage Reduction against Wound damage unless it is a Critical hit.  Only Dexterity and the Defense bonus of your class contributes to Defense,

As you said Hades, and becouse of this Jediphile: there is only HP in KOTOR, and in the real pnp there are no 'force points' ...well there are some with the same name, but they have an other use.

Other than this Phile, you're right :)

PS: the Cantina is now open for anyone (w00t)

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

Here is an idea that i had about how I'd like the whole 'lightsabre' thing to work in K3.

You can build your lightsabre at level 5 but it is weak say 1-12 damage and can't be fitted with upgrades. As you travel around you learn how to improve your lightsabre (at say lvl 10) and then it becomes 1-16 damage and you can put in additional cystals. Some more time passes (say when you reach level 14-15) and you learn how to further improve your lightsabre. Now it becomes 1-20 damage and can take cystals and upgrades.

The improvements could coincide with your development as a jedi. You first make your lightsabre when you become a padawan. You then upgrade it when you become a full Jedi Knight. The final upgrade comes when you become a Master.

So how about that? To me that makes it a little more realistic.

Well, maybe but no, I think you could start of with a "training saber" which indeed cannot be upgraded. Maybe you will just recieve it. Then, you start training how to build your own saber. This will be the standard Kotor I and II "lightsaber", not the short or double bladed one.

And after that, you can, how about learn from Bao Dur about how to customize your lightsaber. You could customize the hilt, modify the lenght of the blade. A double phased lightsaber (Corran Horn and Gantoris) is one lightsaber type I definately want to see. And each part of the hilt should have modifications (BBD, Attack, Damage, Critical range modification, defense).

I guess it is very hard to deflect a blaster bolt with a double phased lightsaber. But it has an advantage in combat against a Dark Jedi.

Master Vandar lives!

Freelancer is cross-genre, and no one complained  :ermm:

Eh, No...

It was a space sim like Elite and such...

Where is the cross-genre stuff?

There were some RPG and adventure elements. Upgrading your ship with money accumulated with missions accessible with xp gains through combat and mission/quest solving; exploration and loot hunting, NPC conversations, influence with factions, etc.

The only thing that bothered me about Freelancer is that I couldn't walk around as I wanted. Plus the learning curve for me was steep at one point.

The "RPG elements" you describe have been in space games long before they were in Freelancer. Freelancer is pretty much a very nice looking Privateer. I certainly wouldn't say it's "cross-genred" lest we start tossing the term around a bit too liberally.

oh, I like that.

you start off with the Create Lightsaber feat and, indeed, your Master will not teach you anything until you build your first lightsaber. you may need to do some traveling just to get the components you need.

thing is, though, the level 1 version of that feat only allows you to build a simple, non-upgradable lightsaber. the level 2 feat allows you to build an upgradable saber and the level 3 feat actually allows you to manufacture some of the components--including some of the advanced components.

At character creation time, I think you should be able to choose between:

Soldier

Scout

Scoundrel

Force Adept

Force Adept would be the default and only a Force Adept can take a Jedi or Sith Prestige Class later on.

All PCs would end up having a Force epiphany at some point and become "Jedi" but the Adept would get that sooner.

That would be sweet.

Can we all collectively get a cohesive idea for a story together? Like, lets actually go about together thinking of a story, since story ideas usually come from one person pooping their ideas and thats the end.

How about it? i might organize them. and i might have votes on some of the controversial ideas. eh?

All right -

So the idea about the Exile's "band" of 'jedified' companions forming a new jedi council and the PC for K3 being a student?

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

Can we all collectively get a cohesive idea for a story together? Like, lets actually go about together thinking of a story, since story ideas usually come from one person pooping their ideas and thats the end.

How about it? i might organize them. and i might have votes on some of the controversial ideas. eh?

I think it best to focus on which characters you want prominent, what kind of backstory you want for the protagonist, what worlds you want to go to, etc.

putting actual story ideas in a public forum is probably a bad idea since the devs will want the story to have a certain amount of mystery to it.

All right -

So the idea about the Exile's "band" of 'jedified' companions forming a new jedi council and the PC for K3 being a student?

exactly. should that be the premise? at least we should have the new council out of the exiles jedified buddies, but people like Hades might want a PC that is unrelated to the jedi at first, neh?

edit: like, i gtg now, but if you guys think of some basic storylines i can copy and paste them together and we can look at what we like best?

yeah, since this is same old same old and we havent made progress as a collective group of people thinking of ideas for K3.

i am not saying this will be the game, but like i said before, i want our ideas to be cohesive. and it'd be cool if we could vote on stuff to see what storylines people like better... :wub:

Edited by Blank

My vision of KotOR III from thread #14:

This is the way i want it:

At next year's E3, we see a MS representative stating that MS will focus more on RPG's than the last console iteration. Then, he hands the microphone to a Lucasarts employee (Mike Gallo, if he's still there), who's stating "Well, this title doesn't need any further explanation, lets just roll the trailer now, shall we?"

After the regular Lucasarts and Obsidian logo's, the trailer begins.

The trailer will first show a much more detailed Bastila stating the following to the camera "Revan hasn't yet been found, and after him(her) several of the former high command has dissappeared, including his(her) highest ranking general". Then the camera pans to the Jedi Counsil at Coruscant stating the obvious "Most conserning"-looks and talks.

A new scene including Admiral Carth talking to the Disciple over a hologram. Carth asks "What's the situation on Dxun?". The Disciple (with Handmaiden and Mira in the background in Jedi Robes), answers: "The Mandalorians are at an alarming rate regrouping under their Mandalore Ordo. Their numbers are now tens of thousands and steadily rising with a fleet of considerable size. But there's one thing..."

- "What is it?", ask Carth.

- "Their fleet isn't regrouping in a formation towards the core worlds, or even the outher rim. It's almost like they're fortifying against the unknown regions", answers the Disciple.

- "Exile....", Carth mutters.

- "I beg your pardon?", asks the Disciple.

- "Nothing, over and out".

The text "The Final battle is near" and "Where will you stand?" comes up. After that, the scene takes place on Tatooine, where a younger boy/girl (the main character) sees a ship land in the horizon. Two figures emerges in the distant and later, one can now indentify by their appereance that it's two well-known droids. "Take us to the nearest Republic officer, meatbag. We have a message from my master" and a "Bee-oooop-dwoooo" for comic value.

Back to Bastila, stating: "As long as their fates are not known, i fear that republic might face a force beyond what happened during the Mandalorian wars".

*The tune "The Sith" from KotOR I OST starts*

Now the camera just shows a lightsaber. Panning out, a black robe. Panning even more out, it's Revan in his/her black suit. Panning even further, you can see Revan with the Exile(face covered with the mask that Nihilus once had) on a battlecruiser bridge, looking at the depths of space.

End with a "coming in 2007"

All graphics done with the unreal engine 3.0.

I'm still waiting for my call from Lucasarts/Obsidian, asking for my permission to use my idea :ph34r:

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

As another "idea" - I want them to finally clarrify this "true sith" from the K1 comment of "True sith died out ages(I think) ago; sith nowadays are followers of an ideal" - or along those lines.

So a non-force user race or a race with some force powers would be nice to see. Just not... uber overpowered kthxbye.

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

Or so Kreia claims. ^