KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

They could still turn it around and salavage it with a really good plot. If they did it right, they could make K2 seem as a filler, full of suspense. I mean, it was obvious it was a cliffhanger... but... if they made K3 really well, then it wouldn't make K2 seem quite as bad. I mean, people will still be pissed off at all the cut content, but if they filled in all the gaps, plugged all the holes... then maybe, just maybe, people would forgive them.

/shrug

Thoughts?

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

Yes you could play as Revan, I mean think of these two ideas. 1) Carth does not think Revan succeeded. 4 yrs and no word? Something has gotta be wrong. I know all of you hold Revan on a pedestal, but perhaps an evil Sith person stripped Revan of his/her powers on purpose and Revan has spent the last two years or so in hiding.

I don't think the problem is that everybody loves Revan so much that we won't let anything bad happen to him. It's probably more that we don't want to play an amnesic jedi who lost his power a third time. That's my take on it, but I do get the impression that while most KotOR-fans want different things in K3, there does seem to be consensus that another jedi with lost powers is not acceptable.

2) In all honesty, a third pc would further complicate things because of the voice actors (and if they don't get any people are going to whine, but voice actors should be something that players should be least worried about) and how their idea of Revan and the Exile might not be how the players think of Revan and the Exile. It would further complicate things imo.

Revan did have a voice in K1, so he at least is not a problem. Some people may not have liked it, but it was there.

And while I can speak only for myself, I'm not really going to worry about the voice of the Exile. As long it isn't completely laughable (in the sense of JarJar-ish or similar), it'll be fine by me.

I just think the biggest problem is continuity....by using pregens (each within a small window of time), you are setting up a very crowded field of uber Force users.

It's best to find a way for the PC to leave as close to zero footprint as possible on SW continuity.

The PC might have actually saved the day, but if he had someone else with him who was of higher rank, that person would get the official credit. That is how history is often written anyway.

(BTW: I have no problem with giving Revan and/or the Exile full VO....but, guys, "battle cries" are just not the same thing....not at all)

You guys underestimate the time, effort, and money that it takes to make a game like this. you really can't have that many options for revan and exile and still have a cinematic-type game that still includes those characters rather in-depth.

Seems to me like the easiest way out of this is to have the K3 story after the resolution of Revan/The Exile's story. Maybe for the sake of keeping things familiar, the PC could meet Revan's son (it could be Carth/Revan or Bastilla/Revan I guess) or something similiar. Either that or find a way to accomodate all the different tastes.

I just think the biggest problem is continuity....by using pregens (each within a small window of time), you are setting up a very crowded field of uber Force users.

It's best to find a way for the PC to leave as close to zero footprint as possible on SW continuity.

Why? I mean, this is a full four thousand years before the movies, so anything that happens is going to be completely inconsequential by the time of the movies era. I would have speculated that the only thing they couldn't do is let the republic or the jedi order fall, but actually I believe there is mention in the movies that goes back only about a thousand years - didn't Palpatine say something about "this republic that has stood for a thousand years" or so, and Windu that the order had stood for hundreds of generations? If that is correctly remembered, they can even bring down the republic and the jedi order, so long as it's rebuilt again at some point.

So about the only thing that cannot happen is the destruction of the worlds we know (Korriban, Tatooine, Onderon, Coruscant, etc.)

The PC might have actually saved the day, but if he had someone else with him who was of higher rank, that person would get the official credit.  That is how history is often written anyway.

True enough... I'm still grumpy that you basically save the world in Ultima III, and then who do they elect as king? The guy why asked you to do it, but who stayed at home in the castle himself, while you were out there battling demons... :angry: :lol:

(BTW: I have no problem with giving Revan and/or the Exile full VO....but, guys, "battle cries" are just not the same thing....not at all)

I know. I'm just saying that we already know what Revan's voice sounds like, not that he should be restricted to that. In fact, if that were the case, I'd rather he just shut up :D

Seems to me like the easiest way out of this is to have the K3 story after the resolution of Revan/The Exile's story. Maybe for the sake of keeping things familiar, the PC could meet Revan's son (it could be Carth/Revan or Bastilla/Revan I guess) or something similiar. Either that or find a way to accomodate all the different tastes.

I'd be all for that in a K4, but not in K3.

K2 ended openly. We need resolution to that story, and not just in the sense of a few statements that tell us what became of Revan and the Exile during the opening crawl text.

Those characters did not get closure. We need that, and we want to play it too.

I don't mind a long involved cutscene which explains what happens, and maybe through the story more can be revealed (sorta like K2 but not as slow), it may not be enough but better that than a game which constantly can't really keep the story afloat.

I disagree. Catering to the single player is what KotOR does best. It would be very difficult to write a compelling story/plot that appeals in a multiplayer game. For that, go and play Star Wars Galaxies.

First, Star Wars Galaxies sucks. Second, I never said make the story Multiplayer itself, I said add some sort of multiplayer. Like possibly a bonus after you beat the game once or a patch that comes later. The single player main story thing should be of course the 1st thing to be fully completed for release, and then once the Single Player game releases Obsidian could make a patch or something to add MP. It could become something like Face of Mankind but only tons better. It will be better than World of Warcraft or any other MMoRPG if a KoToR mmorpg existed.

Something like Diablo 2 you mean? Where you could play the singleplayer game with a friend ?

That's kind of boring tho, playing with 1 friend just like that isn't really fun. Should be some PvP in it and more than 1 player. Also, If Obsidian chooses to end the KoToR series in the 3rd installment, they should make an MMORPG of it. Kind of like Warcraft, where it only went up to 3 and then became the most popular Mmorpg in existence. KoToR has the potential to go above and beyong that in an MMORPG. I believe a poll should be made for this.

That's kind of boring tho, playing with 1 friend just like that isn't really fun. Should be some PvP in it and more than 1 player. Also, If Obsidian chooses to end the KoToR series in the 3rd installment, they should make an MMORPG of it. Kind of like Warcraft, where it only went up to 3 and then became the most popular Mmorpg in existence. KoToR has the potential to go above and beyong that in an MMORPG. I believe a poll should be made for this.

A Starwars MMORG you say... hmm, sounds familiar though.

(Galaxies)

I don't mind a long involved cutscene which explains what happens, and maybe through the story more can be revealed (sorta like K2 but not as slow), it may not be enough but better that than a game which constantly can't really keep the story afloat.

The plot must be solid, yes. I agree with that. I just don't agree that having Revan and the Exile in it would ruin the plot.

...didn't Palpatine say something about "this republic that has stood for a thousand years" or so, and Windu that the order had stood for hundreds of generations? If that is correctly remembered, they can even bring down the republic and the jedi order, so long as it's rebuilt again at some point.

I agree, actually. The Republic CANNOT fall between the time of Darth Bane and Darth Sidious....it CAN fall before Bane and I actually think it would make for an interesting story if it did.

Why? I mean, this is a full four thousand years before the movies, so anything that happens is going to be completely inconsequential by the time of the movies era. I would have speculated that the only thing they couldn't do is let the republic or the jedi order fall, but actually I believe there is mention in the movies that goes back only about a thousand years - didn't Palpatine say something about "this republic that has stood for a thousand years" or so, and Windu that the order had stood for hundreds of generations? If that is correctly remembered, they can even bring down the republic and the jedi order, so long as it's rebuilt again at some point.

That phrase could be interpreted in multiple ways - For example "this government has been in charge for 4 years" could refer to an administration rather than an actual government itself. Also, there seems to be more hints that the Republic in KOTOR is the same Republic in the movies (IMO), and it is also is the more commonly held belief. Maybe some reformation in the Republic occurs at the end of the Great Sith War...

EDIT: http://www.starwars.com/databank/organizat...republic/?id=eu

With the signing of the Galactic Constitution on Coruscant more than 25,000 years ago, the Republic was born. Though history often recalls the Republic as an idyllic utopia, a less biased examination reveals numerous galactic conflicts -- such as the Hundred-Year Darkness, the Great Droid Rebellion and the Vultar Cataclysm -- throughout its reign.

Time and again, it fell to the Jedi Knights and the ancient armies and navies of the Republic to defend against violence. Twenty millennia after its founding, the Republic saw one of its most destructive conflicts in the Great Hyperspace War. A forgotten menace, the long-banished Sith Empire, launched a full-scale incursion into Republic space. Many worlds were forever scarred in that battle, but the Jedi were able to repulse the invaders.

A thousand years later, Sith acolytes sparked what would become known as the Great Sith War. Again, the Jedi and Republic banded together to stop the insatiable Sith lust for conquest. The last great conflict of its kind occurred three millennia later, at the Battle of Ruusan. The Jedi Army of Light and the Sith Brotherhood of Darkness clashed on the planet Ruusan. That conflict saw the extermination of the Sith order. Many in the galaxy saw this battle as the last of the great wars, and the start of a new era of peace and stability in the Republic.

With peace and prosperity came a dangerous complacency. While corruption began to rot the Republic government, the vast armies and navies were downscaled, and the Republic came to rely on the Jedi more and more for the maintenance of civility. Despite a few isolated flashpoints -- like the Stark Hyperspace Wars and the Battle of Naboo -- full-scale military conflict remained a distant memory.

This lull made the rise of the Clone Wars all the more tragic and deadly. That conflict precipitated the rise of the Emperor and the galaxy's dark times. The Emperor revised the Galactic Constitution, and replaced the Old Republic with his New Order. Those in the Core saw this as welcome change -- finally, someone not afraid to do something about the state of the Republic. During these dark times the Jedi Knights were eradicated. The Emperor had the vast HoloNet array dismantled, allowing him to control the flow of information across the galaxy. Worlds that rebelled were crushed under the new regime, while those in the insulated Core Worlds never saw the worst of the atrocities. Coruscant and Galactic City were renamed Imperial Center and Imperial City. The Imperial Navy grew far beyond the limits of the Republic military of old.

Responding to these outrages came the Alliance to Restore the Republic, otherwise known as the Rebel Alliance. A Galactic Civil War erupted between the Alliance and the Empire. Enacting emergency powers, the Emperor suspended the Senate, sweeping the last fragments of the Republic away. Three years later, the Alliance was victorious over the Battle of Endor. With the Empire defeated, the Alliance declared a New Republic in the New Order's place.

Edited by DAWUSS

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

I think Obsidian is working on signing something in the next few weeks - no idea whether it's Kotor 3 or not, and no way to know until they tell us. Maybe if there were a flurry of rumours from different sources, I'd get more hopeful, but this rumour comes from IGN again, same as the last one.

I think (on the Creative Heads site) that the advert for senior programmer on an 'adventure' rather than 'action' RPG is more likely to be a mistake than anything else.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)