KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

- Revan in KOTOR 3 wears his armour again. So no sex is showed.

Sex or gender...? :shifty:

According to cannon, Revan is male, so no sense hiding his gender.

Maybe so, but it's still a choice in the game even in K2. Lots of people play Revan as female, so there really is no reason to force the issue in K3.

Although canon may declare Revan male, it does not automatically follow that he should be in K3 as well. K2 didn't dictate it either, after all.

No need to alienate those who prefer a female Revan, even if I'll probably set Revan to male every time.

I think a bit more of a Freelancer element should be introduced to the game. So that a player is able to do more than just go around and finish the story.

I would like to fly my ship around , transport illegal goods like Han , attack trade ships (DS), etc.

I'd like to be able to buy some goods from the Hutts, and sell them on another planet.

Overall I think there should be a bit more freedom in the game to do what you like , and have your story choices change that. IE:

You must get Crystal A from a Hutt on Tatooine , if you kill him, prices for X increase on that planet. You can take the Ebon Hawk, to Corusant fill your ship with that and sell it on Tatooine. But note that killing him would decrease organized crime and theres an increase in the chances of having your cargo stolen or being attacked .

I think you're underestimating just what sort of a programming nightmare a game like that would be to work on. There is a reason why multiplayer games are generic and spartan plotwise to the point of having almost no story, whereas the plots of even singleplayer games are frequently very fixed and linear.

The reason is not that the programmers are lazy and don't want to give us what we want to play. It is simply that such a game would mean that there are large sections of their work that only a portion of the audience will ever see. With the costs of making computer games today, it is just not cost-effective, let alone feasible.

This sort of thing was okay for Elite :shifty: during the golden age of computer games in the 80s when it was just one or two people working on a game. But look at its sequel, Frontier, which was done exclusively by David Braben - it's a huge galaxy where you can go and do absolutely anything you want. But there is no plot. Because creating an open galaxy took all the programming efforts. This was okay to let one guy work on for a long time thirty or even twenty years ago. But today computer games are written by groups of 25+ people working for a year, and that makes any game a major investment.

It may change again someday and become easier to do games. The machines could become so fast, that you don't have to do code. Graphics and sounds might become so easy to work with that anyone can do it, if they have the creativity for it. But it is not so in the real world today, and gaming companies that don't accept that won't stay in business for long.

Of course. All RPGs are founded on the time-honoured and highly ethical principle of grave-robbery, after all :D

Seriously, the real reason is the same as given in many a D&D (or other pnp-rpg book): If you can just buy the good stuff, then what's the point of questing for it?

I realize it can't all be done, and its alot of work , im saying thats what I'd like to see, even in small amounts . IE :

For trade you can just have a person selling wheat and other goods as items , in different planets, and on each planet theres a different price. Its a bit simple , but its do-able.

As for the stores, Im not saying EVERYTHING should be in stores, but different things should be there , or at least stuff I'd like to buy.

- Revan in KOTOR 3 wears his armour again. So no sex is showed.

Sex or gender...? :shifty:

According to cannon, Revan is male, so no sense hiding his gender.

Maybe so, but it's still a choice in the game even in K2. Lots of people play Revan as female, so there really is no reason to force the issue in K3.

Although canon may declare Revan male, it does not automatically follow that he should be in K3 as well. K2 didn't dictate it either, after all.

No need to alienate those who prefer a female Revan, even if I'll probably set Revan to male every time.

he will have to be one gender because revan will have a voice... (w00t) just thought of that Revan with a voice, who should do the voiceover?

he will have to be one gender because revan will have a voice...  (w00t) just thought of that Revan with a voice, who should do the voiceover?

Nothing prevents the devs from doing both a male and a female voice for Revan, especially not since I really doubt Revan will have a lot dialogue in the game. Yes, Revan will be a central character in the final showdown, but I really doubt that you will meet him (or her) until very late in the game.

Alternate voices really aren't that unusual. In fact, they had alternate voices for Darth Traya in K2 depending on who ended up in that role. Shame it was cut, but you can still hear in the game files, if you want to btw - it's in the \StreamVoice\907\904KREIA\ folder.

For K3, it's time to base things off the canon ending. The only choice the players have would be names of the PCs (ie. Exile's real name).

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

For K3, it's time to base things off the canon ending. The only choice the players have would be names of the PCs (ie. Exile's real name).

Then people would be mad if they played Revan 1 and 2 knowing he/she was either a boy/girl and light/dark. That goes with the Exile as well.

And Perfect, Kotor I and II are based on Revan and the Exile. They deserve a major part of the storyline. Kotor 3 would make absolutely no sense if Revan and the Exile were not in there at least as major npc's, the True Sith was not dealt with, and most of the memorable npc's from I and II were not in there.

Edited by Phaedra36

There are a lot of games that have multiple endings and have a sequel that is based off a canon ending... The KOTOR series would then be no different. Besides, it may give people a reason to go back and play the canon characters in the previous games... Just a thought

Anyway, I wanna see a 5 minute intro movie, the kind that makes you wanna shut off the lights and grab a bowl of popcorn (especially if it's console)

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

I think these games would do better to give the PC a pregenerated surname rather than first name. Revan is a first name (I'm pretty sure). The Exile is a placeholder. They can't just keep coming up with unisex first names like Revan and Jaden. And, heaven knows, they can't keep using placeholders like "the Exile".

What they can do, is use predetermined surnames. That way, continuity snippets can refer to "Padawan Stargazer", etc. That actually allows for more customization of the name and keeps it unisex (without having to use weak, unisex names).

So....please devs, don't give me a first name or a placeholder....give me a SURNAME!!!

thanks

Revan and the Exile have to be in K3 but cannot be the PC.

I agree that, even though continuity Revan is LS male, it would be best

to allow the player to determine certain things about the character, especially gender.

I don't think they have to leave both of them user-defined, though. I think they can get away with one hard-coded. And I think a hard-coded Exile makes a lot of sense, especially with regard to alignment (the DS ending of K2 leaves too much unresolved for the Exile for be a hero in K3, IMO).

Going forward, they need to have co-protagonists in these games so that continuity can be written without referring to the video game PC.

Revan and the Exile have to be in K3 but cannot be the PC.

I agree that, even though continuity Revan is LS male, it would be best

to allow the player to determine certain things about the character, especially gender.

I don't think they have to leave both of them user-defined, though.  I think they can get away with one hard-coded.  And I think a hard-coded Exile makes a lot of sense, especially with regard to alignment (the DS ending of K2 leaves too much unresolved for the Exile for be a hero in K3, IMO).

Going forward, they need to have co-protagonists in these games so that continuity can be written without referring to the video game PC.

I would rather they put a poll out ask the people what gender/alignment they want for Revan and Exile, and stick to one character type. I like adapting my PC, but I would rather they structure the NPCs. The character won't be as special if they do multi roles, the voice of the character is to defining for the NPCs.

I think that if they decide on a gender for Revan, it will ruin a lot of the replayability. Half the fun is replaying the game and setting Revan's alignment and gender to something else.

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

I'd be upset if he was DS period. The LS story has more "romance"/"idealism" to it.

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

Guest The Architect

K3 would be ****ing **** if you can't choose the genders and alignments of Revan and the Exile. And if they both make appearences, then it'd be ****en ****house if you couldn't choose their appearences.

Guest The Architect

The latest poll standings are...

K (26)

I (26)

F (11)

J (10)

A (6)

L (4)

B (4)

D (2)

H (2)

C (1)

E (1)

M (1)

If you don't know what this poll is about, check my previous posts, have a look, then vote if you haven't already. It's interesting to see that K and I are tied at 1st spot and it's also interesting to see that no one from the LucasArts or Obsidian Forums have voted for G. You do know that 'G' is exactly how Obsidian handled Revan in K2. Hmm, I guess Obsidian's idea wasn't popular then.

Edited by The Architect

I think these games would do better to give the PC a pregenerated surname rather than first name.  Revan is a first name (I'm pretty sure).  The Exile is a placeholder.  They can't just keep coming up with unisex first names like Revan and Jaden.  And, heaven knows, they can't keep using placeholders like "the Exile".

What they can do, is use predetermined surnames.  That way, continuity snippets can refer to "Padawan Stargazer", etc.  That actually allows for more customization of the name and keeps it unisex (without having to use weak, unisex names).

So....please devs, don't give me a first name or a placeholder....give me a SURNAME!!!

That's actually a good idea. I support that.

I also think that surname should be Karath... :thumbsup:

K3 would be ****ing **** if you can't choose the genders and alignments of Revan and the Exile. And if they both make appearences, then it'd be ****en ****house if you couldn't choose their appearences.

Hehe - eloquent... :thumbsup:

Actually, I think your reaction is a primary reason why the specifics of Revan and Exile would be selectable - it's the solution that annoys the fewest of the fans. Those who want a fixed gender/alignment can still set it to whatever they want, and it's not as if this is a major exercise in the game - Revan's gender and alignment were set in about two sentences in K2. That's not a big headache.

The only must-have for K3 is Revan IMO.

Bastila, Mission and Carth should also make a return, along with Canderous and HK-47. I'd say Jolee too, but he's probably in some Jedi retirement home by then.

This discussion seems to be a very good reason, why the programmers should have made a different KotOR II, without any connections to KotOR I. KotOR I had a damn good story of *you*, Revan. This story of your journey should have been closed and sealed! What happened afterwards should have been part of your own imagination. It was a big disappointment when I learned about the story of KotOR II.

From a certain point of view, the programmers (or the storywriter!?) already decided what allignment (or at least characteristics) Revan and the Exile had. They made Revan disappear in the unknown Regions and made a past for the Exile, the Player couldn

Edited by Dacen Vellia

@Dacen I hear you but I think this just illustrates why you can't have PCs in SW games with a predefined first name....Kyle Katan, Jaden Korr, Revan, etc are all a part of SW continuity and their replayability goes way down because of it.

Hence, I think having a "coprotagonist" (a scripted character like Bastila, for instance) would allow for the PC to be less defined in terms of continuity and could allow for more freedom. It is not realistic for Kyle Katarn to be in 5 games (I'm not saying he was, BTW) without becoming a Force god....it IS realistic for Padawan Stargazer to be in 5 games without becoming a Force god partly because the player can nominate different first names as the story progresses, if he really wants to. The continuity story would read "Jedi Knight Bastila Shan and her Padawan Stargazer set off to..."

The bottom line is that the PC should leave "zero footprint" (or close to it) on official SW continuity. Having a "coprotagonist" and a predefined surname instead of first name, would accomplish that IMO.