worst game ever played

lordodark2

EDIT: As for other Genesis RPGs-- For JRPGS, Shining Force and Phantasy Star were the main ones (Don't forget Shining in the Darkness!). However, there were quite a few quality PC-style RPGS that were neglected by the JRPG community such as:

Warriors of the Eternal Sun, Shadowrun, Buck Rogers, Sword of Vermillion, and Super Hydlide were among the good PC-style RPGs on the Genesis.

I still remember buying the original Shining Force I and II cartridges and running home to play them. I only got Shining in the Darkness in ROM format, years after.

Warriors of the Eternal Sun and Shadowrun were excellent back then. Actually if I remember correctly Warriors and Buck Rogers were conversions of PC originals.

Super Hydlide, I have to admit I heard so much about how the game sucked that I never got around to try it.

EDIT: As for other Genesis RPGs-- For JRPGS, Shining Force and Phantasy Star were the main ones (Don't forget Shining in the Darkness!). However, there were quite a few quality PC-style RPGS that were neglected by the JRPG community such as:

Warriors of the Eternal Sun, Shadowrun, Buck Rogers, Sword of Vermillion, and Super Hydlide were among the good PC-style RPGs on the Genesis.

Warriors of the Eternal Sun and Shadowrun were excellent back then. Actually if I remember correctly Warriors and Buck Rogers were conversions of PC originals.

Super Hydlide, I have to admit I heard so much about how the game sucked that I never got around to try it.

Buck Rogers was a console port of the popular PC Gold Box game. From what I understand, I don't believe that Warriors of the Eternal Sun was a port but it was made by the same people who made those great GB games-SSI. So was another excellent PC-style RPG on the Turbo-Grafx16, Order of the Griffon.

I must admit that I wouldn't recommend Super Hydlide today to modern players. The horrible graphics (even by 16 bit standards) were pretty awful. However, back then it was quite the gem. If you were able to ignore the graphics, you would fine a pretty original game in terms of gameplay. Too bad it didn't catch on which I would attribute to the fact that most console gamers are into JRPGS and totally look over the PC-style gems that the Genesis had.

image002.gifLancer

2)After say 10pm or so, your character starts to tire and his attacks become less effective. After midnight, the character's attacks become completely ineffective due to exhaustion.

hardly "realistic" if you are playing a night-active character. That's more of a gamey limitation than a realisitic option.

And how many people are actually more awake and effective during night-time than during the day? I would gander that a very small percentage indeed. To a first order approximation I would say that its treatment in Super Hydlide was realistic. The game just chose to ignore the <1% of the populace that function better at night. Not a bad gaming decision.

I think you are influenced by the large variety of unusual perks that the Fallout games allow you to choose from. I don't think "realism" was the prime concern with these perks per se ---As many of them were downright ridiculous if you think about it like fast metabolism offering radiation resistance? Or how about ones such as Jinx or Bloody Mess which were there for more comedic reasons at the realism's expense? Not to mention that Skilled and Gifted were carefully designed with game balance in mind rather than made to follow strict realism. No, the Fallout perks were meant to enhance roleplaying by allowing the ability to create many types of original characters regardless of how much realism would be lost.

So in a real sense, the perks of the Fallout games were meant to defy realism by allowing creation of "abnormal" characters. In fact, this is exactly why Fallout's creation system is so versatile in designing all sorts of characters. Arguably, if strict realism would have been adhered to, the Fallouts wouldn't have allowed you to design nearly as many builds. Ironic isn't it?

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

that used to be quite comon in crpgs.  I used to have make sure I had bedrolls, boots, and food rations before I left town to journey in the wilderness.

The only game I knew that *required* you to eat food was Ultima VII which came out in '92 I believe. Super Hydlide already had this in '90.

It is possible that some ancient PC games back in the '80s had this but I am pretty sure it was a novel concept for console.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

that used to be quite comon in crpgs.  I used to have make sure I had bedrolls, boots, and food rations before I left town to journey in the wilderness.

The only game I knew that required you to eat food was Ultima VII which came out in '92 I believe. Super Hydlide already had this in '90.

Robinson's Requiem. Kind of a sucky game but it was a survival game.

Edited by astr0creep

The only game I knew that *required* you to eat food was Ultima VII which came out in '92 I believe. Super Hydlide already had this  in '90.

It is possible that some ancient PC games back in the '80s had this but I am pretty sure it was a novel concept for console.

No, Ultima had forced the stupid "eat food, you bastard!" on you all the way from the start. I clearly remember buying 9999 food in Ultima IV, just to be able to forget about it for the rest of the game.

Edit: Typo.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The only game I knew that required you to eat food was Ultima VII which came out in '92 I believe. Super Hydlide already had this in '90.

Robinson's Requiem. Kind of a sucky game but it was a survival game.

Let me re-state that.. The only game RPG I knew that *required* you to eat food was Ultima VII which came out in '92 I believe. Super Hydlide already had this in '90.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

And how many people are actually more awake and effective during night-time than during the day? I would gander that a very small percentage indeed. To a first order approximation I would say that its treatment in Super Hydlide was realistic. The game just chose to ignore the <1% of the populace that function better at night. Not a bad gaming decision.

Some statistics (roughly):

about 20% of population are naturally active at night (me included)

50% are flexible and can easily adjust their circadian rhytms

30% are naturally active at daytime

Some statistics (roughly):

about 20% of population are naturally active at night (me included)

50% are flexible and can easily adjust their circadian rhytms

30% are naturally active at daytime

Most odd statistics. Where did you get them?

Just because you are forced to be active at night (i.e. forced to work graveyard shift) doesn't mean that you FUNCTION better at night. This is a big distinction.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

The only game I knew that *required* you to eat food was Ultima VII which came out in '92 I believe. Super Hydlide already had this  in '90.

No, Ultima had forced the stupid "eat food, you bastard!" on you all the way from the start. I clearly remember buying 9999 food in Ultima IV, just to be able to forget about it for the rest of the game.

Edit: Typo.

I never got to play the oldest Ultimas but besides Ultima was there anyone else?

And more importantly, do you know of any console RPGs that beat Super Hydlide to the punch in making your character eat?

image002.gifLancer

I really had a blast with Fallout. I played it after school till dinner, after dinner till i fell a sleep behind my keyboard and all weekend long!

The worst must be ..... I only played good ones i guess

It was quite common for old RPG's to force you to eat. Evolution later decided that eating in a game != fun, so most RPG's removed that little feature.

I remember a game called Bloodwych that forced you to eat also.. But I very rarely played any console games before 2001 or so.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It was quite common for old RPG's to force you to eat. Evolution later decided that eating in a game != fun, so most RPG's removed that little feature.

That much I figured would be true for the PC as I stated in my original post. However, I would bet that Super Hydlide was the first RPG on any console with this feature.

image002.gifLancer

Most odd statistics. Where did you get them?

Just because you are forced to be active at night (i.e. forced to work graveyard shift) doesn't mean that you FUNCTION better at night. This is a big distinction.

I can't recall the link now, but anyway it was in another language. The numbers may be inaccurate, but the bottom line is that there are much more people than you think who function better at night (yes, that's what I actually meant). I always have hard time getting up early, and my activity peaks at around 1am regardless whether I got up at 6am or 1pm.

I can't recall the link now, but anyway it was in another language. The numbers may be inaccurate, but the bottom line is that there are much more people than you think who function better at night (yes, that's what I actually meant). I always have hard time getting up early, and my activity peaks at around 1am regardless whether I got up at 6am or 1pm.

I am not talking about the hours you go out and party..

So you can are a more alert reader and have higher comprehension at 1am as opposed to 1pm?

You can do math correctly at 1am?

And coffee nor sleeping in counts.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

An RPG, or cRPG is just what the acronym means; a Role Playing Game, be the role pre-defined or user made. What you people are arguing about are your own preferences in CRPGs, but despite how much you dislike Diablo it's still an RPG. And so is every JRPG. Adventure Games could be RPG's, but the designers in the 80s decided to call them adventure games instead. End of discussion.

I really had a blast with Fallout. I played it after school till dinner, after dinner till i fell a sleep behind my keyboard and all weekend long!

A great game that is highly addicitive once you start to play. The classics are still good at doing this compared to a lot of the newer games.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I like games with a meaningful day/night cycle (yes, meaningful, this does not include NWN). Bloodlines could have done with this - what vampire doesn't need to be aware of the time of dawn, plus coffins! :) Regular eating is also good - it adds realism, and it doesn't need to be as cumbersome as Ultima VII.

Worst game I've played recently is a demo of Singles, or at least, ten minutes of it.

I'm also a night person.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

A great game that is highly addicitive once you start to play. The classics are still good at doing this compared to a lot of the newer games.

I play King's Quest 2 even today :)

IB1OsQq.png

I like games with a meaningful day/night cycle (yes, meaningful, this does not include NWN).  Bloodlines could have done with this - what vampire doesn't need to be aware of the time of dawn, plus coffins! :)  Regular eating is also good - it adds realism, and it doesn't need to be as cumbersome as Ultima VII.

The eating in Super Hydlide wasn't nearly as painful as it was in Ultima VII. This was partly because Super Hydlide was a single player RPG..

I'm also a night person.

I am surrounded by weirdos! :)

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

I like games with a meaningful day/night cycle (yes, meaningful, this does not include NWN).  Bloodlines could have done with this - what vampire doesn't need to be aware of the time of dawn, plus coffins! :)  Regular eating is also good - it adds realism, and it doesn't need to be as cumbersome as Ultima VII.

The eating in Super Hydlide wasn't nearly as painful as it was in Ultima VII. This was partly because Super Hydlide was a single player RPG..

I'm also a night person.

I am surrounded by weirdos! :)

I'm more a night than a day person...now its just 15:41 , and this is not the time I write mostly :D

IB1OsQq.png