worst game ever played

lordodark2

Dungeon hack.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Is that worst game played (as per the topic title) or worst game actually completed ?

I can probably list fifty 8 and 16 bit games amongst the worst played, plus a Bioware and a few Eidos titles :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Current RPG's are expected to have a large emphasis on story and character development. While almost any game puts you in a role, and many genres have stats, very few focus on just telling a story. Of course, adventure games do the same thing, but I think if there is little to no combat, it fits the adventure game genre.

Fallout is not D&D and it is an RPG. KOTOR is not D&D and it is an RPG. Vampire: Bloodlines is not D&D and it is an RPG. Ultima is not D&D and it is an RPG. Avernum is not D&D and it is an RPG....etc ad nauseum.

But Diablo isn't.

Newsflash. KOTOR uses the 3rd edition D&D rules. Odd nobody mentioned it in the thread so far...

And for Diablo, it can be qualified as a RPG. Besides the XP/Equipment/Lvl's etc. mentioned before, you play the role of a single adventurer, gaining a small party (if you want) of mercenaries/Golems/Skeletons trying to destroy the evil nemesis in the end, while solving several quests for the population who asks for help

There has never been a REAL rpg.. at least outside of PnP

This may be true on a philosophical level (although I would argue that games like Fallout and Torment are close enough to being real RPGs). But there are MANY games that have come a lot closer to being like PnP than Diablo has. Diablo didn't even try.

If you seek enough you probably easily find a PnP principle which is all about killing/loot and XP grinding, as is Diablo II. D&D isn't the only PnP and not all PnP are heavily story-based...

Edit; Damn quotes

Edited by Battlewookiee

Diablo2 and it's variants are RPG-Lites. They have the combat, some form of the stat/character/item creation/progression and a story/quests (tho not usually very interactive ones).

If you reduced most of the CRPG's down to the elements of stats/combat, that's what you'd have....imo. *shrug*

I like Diablo2. Or I did. I can't play it anymore, I played it too much for 4-5 years. <_<

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

'Role-playing' is a player, not a computer activity; to apply it to a piece of computer software is absurd, since the ability to role-play is contained in the person, as opposed to the machine or programming code.

I'd agree, if role-playing when applied to computer gaming was exclusively dependant of the player, except it's not. The ability to roleplay is contained in the player, but the methods and expression of said roleplaying are contained in the electronic RPG. I can't roleplay something in an electronic RPG if said RPG doesn't allow for what I am roleplaying to be expressed. Roleplaying in a medium that doesn't recognize what I'm roleplaying seriously questions if role-playing strictly depedant of me, or instead, of a process that requires player input and computer, or videogame, output and recognition.

Newsflash. KOTOR uses the 3rd edition D&D rules. Odd nobody mentioned it in the thread so far...

Newsflash..

KOTOR uses rules based on d20. It doesn't use 3rd edition rules. There is a difference.

And for Diablo, it can be qualified as a RPG. Besides the XP/Equipment/Lvl's etc. mentioned before, you play the role of a single adventurer, gaining a small party (if you want) of mercenaries/Golems/Skeletons trying to destroy the evil nemesis in the end, while solving several quests for the population who asks for help

I am not going to beat a dead bush. I already have expressed my view on this topic in several threads as to what qualifies as an RPG. Like others have said the term is so amorphous that what an RPG is, is really dependent on the eye of the beholder. No pun intended. Needless to say by your definition, many strategy and aventure games are also RPGs.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

'Role-playing' is a player, not a computer activity; to apply it to a piece of computer software is absurd, since the ability to role-play is contained in the person, as opposed to the machine or programming code.

I'd agree, if role-playing when applied to computer gaming was exclusively dependant of the player, except it's not. The ability to roleplay is contained in the player, but the methods and expression of said roleplaying are contained in the electronic RPG. I can't roleplay something in an electronic RPG if said RPG doesn't allow for what I am roleplaying to be expressed. Roleplaying in a medium that doesn't recognize what I'm roleplaying seriously questions if role-playing strictly depedant of me, or instead, of a process that requires player input and computer, or videogame, output and recognition.

As Roleplayer so eloquently stated, if the programmer didn't allow for a particular aspect to be roleplayed in an electronic media, I (you) as the player can't roleplay that aspect.

The extent of one's ability to roleplay in a CRPG is highly dependent on what the programmer coded in a CRPG.

Interestingly, this goes into why many hardcore PnPers believe that CRPGS can never be true RPGS. You are just not allowed the total gamut of freedom of expression that only a tabletop RPG can provide.

image002.gifLancer

So what is and what's not an rpg is purely about one's point of view and opinion?

The funny thing is, I think the title 'RPG' can go mostly only to 'Adventure' games, and not what is actually called RPG games (beside pnp of course). :)

Yes, I think Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword, Shadow of memories, Syberia, The Longest Journey are way much more RPG than any other game

(even BG, NWN, and others have not the same atmosphere.Close, but not close enough to it)

IB1OsQq.png

Well anyone old school with agree with you. We always called those old Sierra Quest games RPGs. In fact that's when the term first started being frequently used.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

I disagree. I don't think any of the IE games had twitch in them.

It's hard to be "twitch" when you can insta pause the game at any time.

How else could Hades (the anti-twitch) complete it?

I do agree that people underestimate the combat in it though. I think it's probably because it doesn't seem to have as much focus as other IE games.

Edited by alanschu

I disagree.  I don't think any of the IE games had twitch in them.

It's hard to be "twitch" when you can insta pause the game at any time.

How else could Hades (the anti-twitch) complete it?

I do agree that people underestimate the combat in it though.  I think it's probably because it doesn't seem to have as much focus as other IE games.

Whats a 'twitch' ? :(

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png