worst game ever played

lordodark2

Diablo is 95% Action, 5% RPG. To say correctly it is action with RPG elements. :)

Bingo. :devil:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

It's an RPG maybe not a traditional D&D one but it's an RPG.

Fallout is not D&D and it is an RPG. KOTOR is not D&D and it is an RPG. Vampire: Bloodlines is not D&D and it is an RPG. Ultima is not D&D and it is an RPG. Avernum is not D&D and it is an RPG....etc ad nauseum.

But Diablo isn't.

Why not?

Having stats, levels, equipment, etc. doesn't make a game an RPG.

What does it matter if it's not in any case?

Worst RPG I've played was 7th Saga for SNES.

My god, it was the very incarnation of every clithe, every horrible, predictable plot twist, every uninspired, pointless character and the worst turn-based combat I've ever played.

7th Saga stinks that's for sure. As a matter of fact, most of the SNES RPGs did.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

Worst RPG I've played was 7th Saga for SNES.

My god, it was the very incarnation of every clithe, every horrible, predictable plot twist, every uninspired, pointless character and the worst turn-based combat I've ever played.

7th Saga stinks that's for sure. As a matter of fact, most of the SNES RPGs did.

Well, what do you know... CRPG player doesn't like JRPGs, what a shock. :devil:

Well, what do you know... CRPG player doesn't like JRPGs, what a shock. :)

I enjoyed the Phantasy Star series, Xenogears, and even Legend of Dragoon.

What a shock.. I play both! :o

But yeah, the Genesis ones were better :devil:

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

What a shock.. I play both! shocked.gif

I'll admit, I didn't expect that.

I apologize.

Only RPGs I remember enjoying on Genesis were Shining Force games and Phantasy Star. Don't remember what else was on there. :devil:

I liked the Genesis RPGs better because they had a good variety of both JRPGS and CRPGS.

EDIT: As for other Genesis RPGs-- For JRPGS, Shining Force and Phantasy Star were the main ones (Don't forget Shining in the Darkness!). However, there were quite a few quality PC-style RPGS that were neglected by the JRPG community such as:

Warriors of the Eternal Sun, Shadowrun, Buck Rogers, Sword of Vermillion, and Super Hydlide were among the good PC-style RPGs on the Genesis.

It was unfortunate that equivalent games were not made for the SNES (and don't even mention that horrible Ultima VII port!)

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

The problem is that the market labels Diablo as an RPG. Which I agree is just plain wrong.

That was the essence of my pointing out that calling Diablo a hack and slash RPG was an oxymoron.  At best Diablo is an action game with strong strategy elements but not an RPG.

People also want to label it an RPG because it takes place in a fantasy setting...  :lol:

lol

True, and it just leads to creating doubts on many gamers. On one hand it's understandable that the market or gaming media tries to summarize a game by it's elements, as it makes for a quick reference - and avoids discussions like the ones seen on this thread. But I think instead of having become something that's actually concise, it just dived right into genre narrowing.

Diablo is a wonderful hack n slash RPG. One of my favorites.

hack and slash RPG?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Diablo 2 the best thing ever released by Blizzard. :thumbsup:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

So the take-home message  is this:

Leave the pure hack and slash to the strat games, and leave the REAL roleplaying to the RPGs.

There has never been a REAL rpg.. at least outside of PnP.

This may be true on a philosophical level (although I would argue that games like Fallout and Torment are close enough to being real RPGs). But there are MANY games that have come a lot closer to being like PnP than Diablo has. Diablo didn't even try.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

I think it didn't really have to.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

:D

MasterRevan is the resident dolt, he doesn't need to be rational in his quotes.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

hack and slash RPG?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Possibly. But it still doesn't make it an RPG.

You play a role, it's a role-playing game. Peroid.

hack and slash RPG?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Possibly. But it still doesn't make it an RPG.

You play a role, it's a role-playing game. Peroid.

Semanatically speaking, so are Super Mario Bros. and John Madden Football.

image002.gifLancer

So what is and what's not an rpg is purely about one's point of view and opinion?

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Rather, 'RPG' is so stupidly amorphous that it has to be weighted down with irrelevant constructions for it to be of any use in labelling games. The inevitable result is that people get confused over the tacked-on parts, complain that they exclude some games from being 'RPGs' even though they have 'role-playing', start taking the pieces off and end up with a meaningless definition.

'Role-playing' is a player, not a computer activity; to apply it to a piece of computer software is absurd, since the ability to role-play is contained in the person, as opposed to the machine or programming code.

Nah. Russel is right. :thumbsup:

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said: