The Chosen One

Dark_Raven

Why don't you cry about it.

Cry baby.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Darn. It happened again.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

conan > belgarion

I have to say that this comparison mad me smile quite a bit. Taking the nauseatingly noble and good hero against a guy who basically stabs/crushes/maims his opponents and ends the day by grabbing the nearest tavern wench for some recuperation, and still manages to be a more complete and interesting character.

Howard > Eddings

Howard > Eddings

:-

Although lots of Conan's character wouldn't be there without "Phoenix in the Sword", most of the stories are just maiming.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

What if instead of being assumed that the PC did something evil and must now atone, what if the PC is confronted with aspects of him which simply made different decisions? Say the PC somehow has aspects of him, shades, pieces of his being, which have manifested across a gameworld without his knowledge and did many things, but eventually he finds out about this and has a chance to judge them.

That would be hot, like you. :-

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Oh dear, Llyranor. I also have the hots for you :-

Well regarding a previous comment, the suggestion I made isn't like Torment in the sense that it does not assume a fixed protagoist, neither an amnesiac or immortal one. I can't go into details because it's, admitedly, part of the concept behind my and Volourn's module and is still being tested. Suffice to say, it revolves around a player-defined PC who finds himself between two opposing Chosen Ones, and with the potential to also become a Chosen One or to forego it entirely and be his or her own persona.

My whole idea simplified and restated in four words.  I hate you!  :Eldar's glaring icon:

Here's an example.

Of course there had to be a JRPG style game with the same idea... only twisted. Ugh.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

:p
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yes, but if he becomes the Chosen One, must he choose?

Yes. And then the choice will be soiled and eroded.

Hehe, about the shades of the protagonist and stuff, me and Nick were playing around a somewhat similar (but not so much, or at all, really) concept a while back.

Basically, the PC's background was irrelevant. His hidden past had no part in the story, we didn't care. What mattered was what happened in the story.

After some big traumatic incident (not head trauma, just some big life-changing phenomenon or whatever), the PC starts hearing voices. At first it's very vague, very subtle, very rare. Simple things. 'Don't trust her.' 'Don't open this door.' The player can easily make his decisions, base on his instincts or clues or whatever, but the design made it so that, at least initially, the voice was right most of the time. We were trying to create a bond of trust with the voice. Gradually, this would intensity, the voice would appear more often, at more important decision crossroads. Eventually, more voices would appear, they would talk to each other, to you, form personalities. You'd have a whole cast of characters in your head.

The setting of the game was based on a war. You were a soldier, sent out to fight some war between opposing colonies. Due to internal strife, though, your government would collapse. The main forces would pull back to the mainland, leaving you and other soldiers stranded on enemy land. You would have to, perhaps, make your way back to your homeland. Taking advantage of the collapsed government, the empire which had the other colony allied with another superpower to invade your mainland. The next scenario would be you defending it. Basically, we were making a situation where everyone was against you. Lots of oppression, war isn't pretty, etc. The voices would be encouraging that feeling.

After some other big battle or something, you find yourself lucky and surprised to be alive, most everyone around you is dead, etc. The voices encourage 'you have escape unscathed. Now, you must go to location x. There, everything will be clearer.'

So you go there, looks cryptic, wow. 'You are the Chosen One. You must stop this war.' Our plan was that the proposed ways to stop the war would in fact be unbeneficial to it. Assassinating world leaders, etc. We were messing around with ideas. If you were playing a good char, your plans to save the world would in fact lead to its destruction, or the impression of such. If you weren't, then you were all for world destruction. Or such was your impression. Ultimately, everything you did or planned to do were actually insignificant and futile.

You get caught, put on trial. You get evaluated for everything you've done, every action, every decision. Did you follow the voices all along, or resist them from the beginning? Wait, were you committing atrocious acts because you felt like it, or because you trusted the voices? Do you get judged a cold-blooded criminal, or do you end up in the psych ward?

Essentially, yeah, we just wanted to make the PC go through the process of early-onset psychosis. In the fantasy setting where voices and Chosen Ones are overused, we thought this would be the ideal setting to fit this in without making it too obvious. Especially because the setting accommodated it, we thought people would more easily 'get in the role' and listen to the voice. 'Makes sense to my character', perhaps. If we helped *one* person understand a little more the issue of mental health, then we would already have won. 'Why do people listen to voices? I wouldn't!' 'People who are crazy are just making it up!'

Of course, the main goal was to provide good gameplay. With the concept of voices, we would emphasize the importance of decision-making. 'Attack her while her back is turned, she is planning to ambush you', for example. Do I *trust* this voice? Do I take the risk? Am I potentially harming an innocent?

Heh.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)