The Battlestar Galactica Thread

astr0creep

It occurs to me after watching Crossroads that the character Lee Adama has been pretty poorly written all along. This has nothing to do with the actor. His motivations never make sense to me. He does the wrong thing, takes the wrong side, makes the wrong decision every time. Either he is fundamentally self destructive or the writers just squandered a really potentially good character all along.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I hated the end of season 2. Anybody else share that dislike? It seemed out of the blue and unnecessary.

The entire second half of season two blew.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It occurs to me after watching Crossroads that the character Lee Adama has been pretty poorly written all along. This has nothing to do with the actor. His motivations never make sense to me. He does the wrong thing, takes the wrong side, makes the wrong decision every time. Either he is fundamentally self destructive or the writers just squandered a really potentially good character all along.

It seems that his only motivation is opposing his father... He has always from the beggining tried to go against him and be different somehow. Their relationship is definitely quite fracked up. Looks like this is finally culminating though.

I hated the end of season 2. Anybody else share that dislike? It seemed out of the blue and unnecessary.

The entire second half of season two blew.

The entire third season has blown as well. This thing in the ship whatever it is is the most interesting thing that they have come up with so far...

He's an idealist, that's all I've ever seen. He's always determined to stand up for something.

But, then he decides to shoot the mobster and let the black market continue.

Rebelling for the sake of just rebelling is pointless and more than a little stupid. But if he has any other motive, well, I've never figured it out. As Tale pointed out, he is not an idealist. Having him cross examine the president tonight made no sense. He pulls a gun on Tigh to defend her then attacks her on the stand to save a man he knows is guilty? Plus, the Colonial Fleet is supposed to be a military organization, Lee acts as though he has never had a day of training in his life. A major does not disobey an admiral over such a trivial thing as he did last week. It makes no sense. It's a bummer because they could have done a lot with that character

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Senior Adama can be quite hard on his son, and Junior opposes him out of spite. There is nothing unrealistic about that (though I can't speak from personal experience, I like my dad :) )and I don't think it's bad writing at all. The fact that they are both military doesn't mean much, they've both proven in the past that they let their emotions get the better of them and are willing to bend or break the rules if it's what they want. Lee and Bill are both hypocrites.

Lee has pretty much been my favorite character throughout the show. I think the writers have done as good a job with him as anyone else. *shrugs*

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Rebelling for the sake of just rebelling is pointless and more than a little stupid. But if he has any other motive, well, I've never figured it out. As Tale pointed out, he is not an idealist. Having him cross examine the president tonight made no sense. He pulls a gun on Tigh to defend her then attacks her on the stand to save a man he knows is guilty? Plus, the Colonial Fleet is supposed to be a military organization, Lee acts as though he has never had a day of training in his life. A major does not disobey an admiral over such a trivial thing as he did last week. It makes no sense. It's a bummer because they could have done a lot with that character

He's a vehicle.

He defends the president because he believes in the constitution. He defends Baltar because he believes in the system. He lets the black market continue because you can't beat them, might as well moderate them. etc. etc.

He's Deus Ex Machina making an early strike. Basically, whatever happens, he's set up to become the solution, however convoluted it might be.

Deus ex Machina is a literary device whereby things become so convoluted that the only way to settle things is to have something happent that fixes everything with the convenient equivalency of a magic wand. It is derived from the work of bad playwrights, who having no idea how to settle their plotlines for a neat ending used exactly this tactic (a God descending on stage to make everything right). Thus the term. Extensions include devices or other situations that serve a similar purpose.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

I don't know about the Deus Ex machina thing.

I haven't seen Crossroads 1 yet but I'm rewatching the entire series from season 1. I'm at "Rapture" now.

Every character has a logical progression in their behavior, from Lee going from obnoxious Viper jock to Holy Knight of justice to Starbuck going from ****y hot shot pilot to depressed, suicidal frak up.

The changes in behavior are directly related to the events of the show, the hardships, the deaths, the intensity of battle. Lee was suicidal at one point in Season 2. Why? Well he said it best in Final Cut. Pilots have lost familly, friends, jobs, lives to the cylon. They have to go through the same emotional roller-coaster as anyone else in the fleet but on top of that, they need to put their own life on the line every day. They help the fleet but who helps them? A Cylon priest? Pff.

That does take it's toll on one's moral and conscience.

Wow.

Crossroads 1 was one of the best episode of the season.

3 of the final five are pretty much revealed.

Roslin drops an emotional bomb during the trial because Lee is being an a$$ to impress his father.

Michael Hogan(Tigh) gives his best performance to date on the show.

A couple of gigantic cliffhangers at the end.

The previews for next week made my jaw dropped.

And to think almost a year will go by before Season 4 begins! :'(

Wow.

Crossroads 1 was one of the best episode of the season.

3 of the final five are pretty much revealed.

Roslin drops an emotional bomb during the trial because Lee is being an a$$ to impress his father.

Michael Hogan(Tigh) gives his best performance to date on the show.

A couple of gigantic cliffhangers at the end.

The previews for next week made my jaw dropped.

And to think almost a year will go by before Season 4 begins! :'(

It's the music right? Only Tigh and Anders could hear the music.

Thomas Sowell

Well, at least there will be a season 4, which was a subject of some debate not long ago.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I just remembered something, an unexplained mystery in Battlestar Galactica. When in season 1, Gaius goes against the Six in his head, she physically manifests herself and tries to screw him over. How the hell did that happen?

I just remembered something, an unexplained mystery in Battlestar Galactica. When in season 1, Gaius goes against the Six in his head, she physically manifests herself and tries to screw him over. How the hell did that happen?

Still unexplained in the series.

I think it has nothing to do with being a Cylon or not. I think it's all in Baltar's head, like a form of schizophrenia induced by extreme lonelyness. An "imaginary friend" in the shape of someone extremely close to the "ill".

He bangs his own head against walls and tables, physically reacting to his delusion.

Thats what I think anyway but why else would Adama be subjected to the same phenomenon once a year(A Day in the Life)?

Ok, thats Tigh, Anders and Tori who heard the music. Who was the fourth?

Thomas Sowell

Its sad that BSG seems to be coming to an end just as it is starting to get good again.

????? Did they confirm next season is the last?

Thomas Sowell