The Battlestar Galactica Thread

astr0creep

Thing is, filler episodes are fine, but that is when you have guest stars and use the 2nd rank characters like Kat.

I agree that they need to introduce another batch of foil characters.

Of course, Baltar's trial could be really interesting but, thing is, today's audiences want interesting episodes every time

and are not just going to wait for the writers to develop the main story.

I remember reading on Ron Moore's blog that he had considered having actual marine characters and having story arcs

that focus on them. That might be good. Also, having other combat ships in the fleet (for instance, Heavy Cruisers) might

be good. That way, you can move people around and still have some plausibility to it.

I love the Marines idea!

And I don't have any objections to fillers either but Moore needs to speed up the pacing of his stories a bit more.

Drama and introspective episodes are fine, even the CW relashionship is fine but like anything else, in moderation.

The last 3-4 episodes were way too slow for this series and what made it worse was that they were all one after the other. Can't they write and shoot eps with faster pacing and broadcast them in-between the slower ones?

It's like for season 1, they could do whatever they wanted, make it spectacular and all, no strings attached as long as their is no profanities.

Season 2 it's like they wanted to do the same but the suits at Universal were begining to give them some restrictions.

And Season 3 is like the suits have taken over.

I just don't know anymore. I'm still excited about sunday nights and the "Previously on BSG" but when the episode ends and I sit back and think about it I'm like "WTF is going on???"

:'(

I just read this on IGN and it's exactly how I feel about this last episode "A Day in the Life":

"It's fine to occasionally deliver an episode like this, with some more specific character focus, but the lack of forward momentum for too long feels at odds with the tension this series usually delivers." - Eric Goldman.

I was wondering. What does the blonde chick that all those who have been infiltrated have dialouge with signify ?

Aren't the enemy robots ?

The blond chick is model #6, one particular individual #6 has a name, Caprica Six, named so because she is a Cylon hero of the Caprica campaign. Only one person(so far) can see and interact with her in his head and that is Baltar.

Caprica Six also sees Baltar in her head.

The phenomena of "Head Six/Head Baltar" has not yet been explained in the show but many speculate that it has something to do with the download of the Cylon consciousness and the radiation from a nuclear explosion that destroyed Baltar's home.

He was shielded by his #6 and so survived but many say something happened to this #6's consciousness because of the radiation.

If you don't yet know, Cylons look like humans now. They can't really die because when the body is destroyed, their consciousness is downloaded in another body of the same model, allowing them to live on. Only by destroying "Resurection Ships" can humans prevent Cylon downloading and kill them for good.

Groovy, heh?

If you don't yet know, Cylons look like humans now. They can't really die because when the body is destroyed, their consciousness is downloaded in another body of the same model, allowing them to live on. Only by destroying "Resurection Ships" can humans prevent Cylon downloading and kill them for good.

right, the Cylon society is a tiered system with human-like models making the decisions.

the fighter ships (called Raiders) are actually living organisms and require no seperate pilot.

the "tin cans" are still around and follow the orders of human-like models.

the tin cans cannot speak (at least not to humans).

• 2 weeks later...

The hot asian american pilot, is she all cylon or is the one with the fleet real and the one in the warzone a replicant ?

Is it possible to become 'un-posessed' by the cyborg upload magic ?

I have watched around 4 episodes in non chronological order, and it seems like the premise of the show has yet to be explained. What is the motivation for the cylons, how exactly does their possesion work.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

No way to really know just how good Maelstrom was until we see how it fits into the context of the whole season. But RJM has to be careful here. He can really screw up the show going from this point. let's hope he does not.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The hot asian american pilot, is she all cylon or is the one with the fleet real and the one in the warzone a replicant ?

I have watched around 4 episodes in non chronological order, and it seems like the premise of the show has yet to be explained. What is the motivation for the cylons, how exactly does their possesion work.

Hmm. Strange questions.

The hot Asian-American(actually, Grace Park is Asian-Canadian ;) ) is a full Cylon, a #8 model to be exact.

Each Cylon model has many, many copies.

The #8 was first introduced as Sharon "Boomer" Valerii, a Raptor pilot "secretly" involved with Chief Tyrol. She is revealed as a Cylon at the very end of the miniseries.

Her story arc is rather complex to explain here, not to mention the multiple spoilers it would reveal but what I can say is that by the end of Season 1 Boomer has both saved the entire fleet and almost destroyed it in one single very cool episode(the S1 finale) and by mid-season 2 Boomer, as we know her, is dead.

The #8 in the "warzone", lets call her... Athena, is the "good" Cylon. Involved with Helo through lies and misleadings, she is eventually accepted in the fleet as a valuable intelligence tool in Season 2. She also brings forth a new era of sort but you'll just have to find out how by yourself.

Now for Cylon downloading stuff...

These are not "posessed" in any way. It is an actual download of consciousness into a new but identical body. There are many copies of #8 but it is believed each one has a different consciousness, different experiences, different lives. What is confusing is that Athena seems to remember things that Boomer did. This does not seem to be the case with #6 or #3, etc.

So, when a Cylon body dies, the consciousness is downloaded into another body that is waiting in storage. That new body then rises from a tub of goo to continue the life of the previous body.

The premise of the show is that the entire human race has been almost completely annihilated by the Cylons and the survivors are running for their lives in search for Earth, a mythical promised land.

The humans are guided by religious scrolls, scriptures and prophecies that point to markers in the Galaxy, markers that show the way to Earth.

The motivation of Cylons is simple. According to everyone, humans and Cylons alike, Everything has happened before and it will happen again. The Cylon believe they are playing their part in an ongoing story. Their job, according to them, is to wipe out human-kind. As simple as that.

Another detail is that Cylons are monotheists and humans are polytheists. This also plays a role in the story.

If you want to know more, I recommend watching every episode in order or check out the Battlestar Wiki.

:sweat:

Watch the series in order, starting with the original miniseries. Most video stores rent series DVDs now so it shouldn't be a problem catching up to the end of season 2. Or you can just download it. Thats how I get my TV, since I work nights so am never able to watch actual TV.

The series isn't serialized like Lost or Heroes, but it does have an order to it. So if you've only seen 4 eps out of order its going to be confusing.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

heard they were killing starbuck off, is it true? or did they already.

As far as anyone knows, unless she is a Cylon, Starbuck died last sunday in the episode "Maelstrom". The name of the actor does not appear in the credits for the rest of the season and nowhere does it say the actor has been hired for a fourth season. Many speculate the contrary however, even if the writers and producers themselves have said she is dead for good.

I dont think they could just kill her off like that. Im betting she gets downloaded. Or else this may very well be the most idiotic BSG episode ever.

According to a post-Maelstrom interview find at this linky Katee Sackhoff is not return as Starbuck for a while. Perhaps she did some shots for other episodes though before her contract ended. I found the interview quite revealing.

I just jumped to season 3 and so far it's jam packed with Iraq alegories, suicide bombings, a kind of Vichi police state and a policeforce hiding behind masks. Interesting.

That was beaten to death over on the BSG forums. The shows producer RJM came right out and said if you are seeing real life allegories in that show, then you are the one putting them there.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I just jumped to season 3 and so far it's jam packed with Iraq alegories, suicide bombings, a kind of Vichi police state and a policeforce hiding behind masks. Interesting.

That was beaten to death over on the BSG forums. The shows producer RJM came right out and said if you are seeing real life allegories in that show, then you are the one putting them there.

It's RDM as in Ronald D. Moore :wub:

There are obviously inspirations from real world events but to say, for example, that the Fleet is the US and the Cylons are terrorists would be a mistake. Each side behaves as both these parties multiple times during the course of the series.

BSG is excelling in a very gray zone.

WTF is their problem? They can't kill off main characters, characters from the original show. Those writers are ****ing lame for doing this.

The original Starbuck (Dirk) also "disapears". He sort of comes back later as something else apparently but I don't remember. I only read about it.

WTF is their problem? They can't kill off main characters, characters from the original show. Those writers are ****ing lame for doing this.

What, you've never read George RR Martin?

Thomas Sowell

"

That was beaten to death over on the BSG forums. The shows producer RJM came right out and said if you are seeing real life allegories in that show, then you are the one putting them there."

Weeeeeel, the analogies are obvious, so i'd say he's lying. Anyway it need not be specifically about Iraq, but rather about the things that occupy our attention because of Iraq, and much less of course is there any need to suggest that Cylons = such and such, and the humans = such and such.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.