The Battlestar Galactica Thread

astr0creep

I felt that the show lost alot after The Second Exodus and it was a bit cheesy imo, that the characters returned to their prior selves. Loosing weight, cutting hair, and beards, off. It was as if the whole "New Caprica" detour was just a storytelling device, used to create a breathing room - in which the writers could prepare us for another long haul through space.. which I was ready for in the first place..

They got some of the greatness back in "The Eye of Jupiter", because now the relationship between Human and Cylon has indeed transcended..

And religion is taking over the story - which I actually like alot. Especially how Cylons are much like Judeo-Christians and the Humans are the Pagans (polytheistic). I've always been a fan of Sci-Fi that questions the very fiber of society and takes a good thourough look at the mechanics behind. And making Cylons monotheistic is a really interesting idea. Since in essence that is one of the driving religious factors of most modern societies. So if you analyze it; "we" (westerns and maybe Muslims) are actually the Cylons..

but enough of that - my point is simply - they got some of the good stuff back into the show! much to my joy.. I hope they stay on the course! and I'm looking forward to the conclusion in January.

- Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

Anyone heard why they are switching the show to Sunday night? I hope it is not in ratings trouble.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Anyone heard why they are switching the show to Sunday night? I hope it is not in ratings trouble.

Yes, it is being moved because of ratings. The reasons given were that other networks are starting to place some shows on Friday so Battlestar Galactica isn't running unopposed in it's timeslot anymore. The other reason given was that there was a larger baseline number of people watching on Sunday evening, compared to Friday when everyone is out partying. :dancing:

I tend to agree with you, Rosbjerg...the religious stuff is the best stuff they do. If they keep the writing that strong, I don't think they have anything to worry about.

Before I saw Eye of Jupiter, my favorite episodes were the ones when they were down on Kobol looking for the Tomb of Athena (and the whole bit about a "dying leader" who sees visions of snakes, etc). That was, simply put, stuff you just don't see on television (anywhere, really).

It's interesting to note that the main subplot in classic BSG before it got cancelled was the whole bit of coming into contact with bits of the 13th Tribe on a planet simply known as Terra (though this was not Earth) and how the Galactica used its weapons to prevent a nuclear holocost between the free peoples and the Eastern Alliance. I don't know what Larson really had in mind if they found at least some settlements of the 13th Tribe in the first season...seems like it would have been hard to keep milking it.

But, anyway, I'm thinking the writers will establish some contact between Galactica and at least the outer reaches of the 13th Tribe either in the 2nd half of this season or in the next season.

Having 2 groups of humans to deal with might provide enough intrigue to keep it going (i.e. without bring in aliens or weird phenomenon of the week type stuff).

And I definitely want to see what actually goes on at the very top levels of Cylon society...in classic BSG, there was actually a planet Cylon. I suspect there is supposed to be an actual home world in RBSG that serves as their capital....wouldn't mind seeing that revealed...maybe some Cylon infighting on the home world.

- Spoilers for those who haven't seen Season 3 -

I think we are seeing the begining of a mini civil war in the Cylon society (or at least a fraction).. the virus proved to them that they are not invincible, plus more and more Cylons are showing distinct personalities that differs from even their own models. They are becoming more human - with all that entails.. and the Humans religion is proving to be quite accurate, so maybe there is a link between the Cylon God and the opposing Pantheon. Which presents the more faithful with some scripture problems.

I'm also quite intrigued by the concept of "The Five" - especially since that number also plays an importance in the Epiphany. And now that Balthar is an important figure in the Cylon fleet - he'll surely stur things up big time!

Fortune favors the bald.

- Spoilers for those who haven't seen Season 3 -

I think we are seeing the begining of a mini civil war in the Cylon society (or at least a fraction).. the virus proved to them that they are not invincible, plus more and more Cylons are showing distinct personalities that differs from even their own models. They are becoming more human - with all that entails.. and the Humans religion is proving to be quite accurate, so maybe there is a link between the Cylon God and the opposing Pantheon. Which presents the more faithful with some scripture problems.

I'm also quite intrigued by the concept of "The Five" - especially since that number also plays an importance in the Epiphany. And now that Balthar is an important figure in the Cylon fleet - he'll surely stur things up big time!

I noticed that too.

There is a nice scene in this Eye of Jupiter where the Cylons are arguing over what to do with Aegea and the humans following Adama's "proposal".

Cavil seems to want to exterminate them all. His argument is that the Cylons will still be there in five thousand years and there is plenty of time for them to search the galaxy for earth without the Eye of Jupiter.

The other Cylons(all women) disagreed, probably because all three of them(Boomer, Caprica and D'Anna) have had direct relationships with humans(Boomer/Tyrol, Caprica/Baltar, D'Anna/Hera+Oracle).

I also found it interesting that each Cylon model seems to have a "top" model who speaks for the rest. Like when D'Anna says "Us 3s will not let the Eye be destroyed" or something.

What I find most interesting about The Prophecy is that it could concern Humans or Cylons.

I mean, imagine if the Great Leader spoken of in the text is Baltar or D'Anna, a Great Leader but of the Cylons, not humans. Visions of snakes could be Baltar's devious #Six messing with his brain.

I love it when shows make us question everything. It's fun. :blink:

yes it is.. :blink: I really enjoy Lost and BFG - especially because, behind the entertainment, the writers are trying to make a statement and trying to critisize and examin morality/religion/the human mind/why we believe - and so on. And how all these catagories interact.

--

But what do you guys think of these "Five" unkowns? I feel it's a tricky area - which can both lift the series or seriously ruin it.

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

yes it is.. :o I really enjoy Lost and BFG - especially because, behind the entertainment, the writers are trying to make a statement and trying to critisize and examin morality/religion/the human mind/why we believe - and so on. And how all these catagories interact.

--

But what do you guys think of these "Five" unkowns? I feel it's a tricky area - which can both lift the series or seriously ruin it.

I think The Five are a tool to help the writers through another season or two. I think the writers have no idea who are the other 5 models(out of 12) and The Five are used to keep us guessing and tune in every week.

With The Five, they can choose important characters that we know or new ones and just insert them in the story as they see fit. They restarted the debate of "Who is a Cylon" in a new way.

Maybe The Five aren't Cylon models at all but prophetic figures in Cylon beliefs?

I don't know enough about Greek mythology but isn't there a pantheon of Gods with top figures(5?)? Zeus, Athena, Apollo, Hera and Ares or something?

:blink:

I would say the biggest are - Zeus, Poseidon, Hera, Athena, Apollo and Ares .. which is six! but they haven't really used Poseidon yet..

Zeus - Adama, Hera - The Child, Athena - Sharon, Apollo - Lee and Ares - can't remember who they said that was..

This is at least what roles they have played so far .. not saying they are the Cylons! :blink:

but it's interesting that the two religions in this series are the Greek Pantheon and an opposing single God .. it kinda seems like they are telling the tale of how Christianity conquered Europe..

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

Ares must be Starbuck. God of War and all... And the Prseident would make a more logical Hera, if going by the actual characteristics of the godess rather than the name (although she isn't quote as jealous and vindictive as the Hera of legend, the rest fits fairly well).

I suppose Caprica (at least the version in Balthar's head) could be seen as Aphrodite. And that just leaves Balthar of the credited cast.

As for The Five being unknown to the writers. I have a faint recollection of reading an interview where they said they knew (had decided) who all the cylon models were. So I don't think they're going into it blind.

• 4 weeks later...

ah - yes, there are quite a few spoilers for season 3 here..

and I urge you to see it soon, as it's very different from the previous two.. (which are also distinctly different from each other)..

but how do you like it so far?

Fortune favors the bald.

It's got all the episodes (up to and including part 2 of Lay Down Your Burdens) and all the deleted scenes (a whole DVD of them :p why not put them in situ, rather than on their own?)... not sure what the terminology for it is; I know my mate in Australia bought "2.0" and it didn't have the lat two episodes!

So, if that doesn't answer your question, I'll take a guess and say "2.5". :D

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It's got all the episodes (up to and including part 2 of Lay Down Your Burdens) and all the deleted scenes (a whole DVD of them :p why not put them in situ, rather than on their own?)... not sure what the terminology for it is; I know my mate in Australia bought "2.0" and it didn't have the lat two episodes!

So, if that doesn't answer your question, I'll take a guess and say "2.5". :D

Before the holidays, Season 2 was split into two different boxed set, Seasons 2.0 and 2.5, each with 10 episodes. The problem is that on those boxes you had to read some fine print in order to know you didn't have the entire season.

Last weekend I saw a box for Season 2.0 and I wasn't sure at all if it was the complete season or not as it didn't say.

But since it had only three disks I figured it was the split version.