which teachings lead to true strength?

which of the Sith and Jedi teachings will lead to true strength?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. which of the Sith and Jedi teachings will lead to true strength?

• The Teachings of the Jedi
    • The Teachings of the Sith
    • The Teachings of neither

The path of the Jedi leads to an unfulfilled life - a life in which one rejects experience itself for the illusion of enlightenment.  One must be willing to reject the struggle and pain and conflict that can strengthen and enrich one's life, at least through retrospect.  One is only as great as their experience.  Pacifism itself is insufficent for all occasions and situations. 

Are you pulling a Bindo?

I don't see how Jedi teachings can be called pacifist given that they carry deadly weapons around and seem to spend most of their training on combat skills. They don't exactly lead to strength either, since the Jedi seem too weak to make life in the Republic better in any meaningful way. Sith teachings are inherently self-destructive. Kreia's teachings weren't really teachings, they were just another way for her to manipulate the Exile. I voted neither. :unsure:

Edited by SteveThaiBinh

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Good idea, but remember; greys get no Enlightenment or Crush; no Prestige class; and no emtrance to the cave on Korriban. 3 less good things for "looking at both sides of the coin" as Kreia puts it.

dragon113mq.jpg

"Great intelligence usually goes hand in hand with great stupdity."

Join The Sibilati!

-Sibilati retrorsum sibilamus

I would never listen to Kreia's teachings any more than I would sleep with her.  :)  Besides, it's debatable that even she wasn't gray, but DS.  :(

Would you listen to Palpatine's teachings then? He said almost the exact same thing to Anakin in Episode III:

Palpatine: If one is to fully understand the great mystery, one must study all of its aspects, not just the narrow dogmatic view of the Jedi.

And to answer the question posed by the topic title, I suppose it may depend on what you view as true strength: physical or inner. Sith can be strong physically since they use all their darker emotions to fuel and channel to increase their power in battle, but a Jedi may also possess remarkable inner strength (Yoda springs to mind; he's not physically strong since he's about a foot and a half tall, but he does possess an inner strength with the Force that is unmatched by nearly any living Jedi or Sith).

Edited by DoubleX

Play the grey side. Being too good is annoying and being pure evil, well just isn't me.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Would you listen to Palpatine's teachings then? He said almost the exact same thing to Anakin in Episode III:
Palpatine: If one is to fully understand the great mystery, one must study all of its aspects, not just the narrow dogmatic view of the Jedi.

He lies. He shapes his words in order to manipulate the listener. The things Palpatine and Kreia say don't have any great wisdom or philosophy behind them. The dark side is mediocre drivel.

Edited by SteveThaiBinh

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Bah. Embracing the Dark Side entirely, allowing it - that is, your brutal, malicious urges - to drive your every thought and action is utter absurdity and is little more than spiritual erosion. Freedom and power have nothing to do with the ability to murder your enemies more quickly and painfully than others. To take the banner of the Dark Side jokingly is to desensitize oneself to the horrors of antagonization and terror-mongering ("Cower, piggies, or taste my steel! Hahahahahaaaa!! :devil: ") and cheapen oneself in the process.

Conversely, the ways of the Jedi seem to accomodate and facilitate their own martial presence; their teachings are contradictory - inner peace and harmony, avoiding conflict, and simultaneously becoming cold, detached, and remorsless killers in the name of 'wisdom' and 'justice'. Their rigidity also perpetuates the Dark Side's existence - those unable to accept the rigid doctrines invariably turn rogue, and often, to the Dark Side. They become the polar opposite of what they once were, becoming beings enlaved to passion and indulgence, consuming all in excess, as if they were attempting to make up for lost time. Besides, one cannot suppress their emotions and exhibit compassion simultaneously - charity of that sort must be indoctrinated, and most likely guilt-based.

Both extremes are irritatingly self-defeating, and perpetuate chaos, destruction, suffering, betrayal, and war. Anyone who has seen the power of moderate dark and light - even in terms of support characters in-game, or reflected in world/SW-galactic events - should be able to envision and theoretically embrace the concept of balance... and that't not brutality one moment and atonement the next, either. One may be emotional and still possess moral compass. One may live to do battle, but shudder at the thought of ever taking life.

It's about taking accountability for the fate of the galaxy... or at the very least, for one's immediate surroundings. Stay rational, but never enslave yourself to any form of mindless dogma for the sole reason that doing so will absolve you of any responsibility or accountability for events directly or indirectly under your control.

..Hmm... that all seems so serious. I am preachy... so very preachy. :p

Edited by Wraith Straddon

HK-47's teachings. Screw the force :p

"Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested you run while my blasters warm, meatbags." ~ K1, upon encountering Malak's Dark Jedi.

"Hokey religions and old weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

-Han Solo

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

I agree that it depends on what one considers true strength to be. Darkness and light are equally powerful- everything can get better or worse. I didn't vote, but I'd stick with the lightside because , as Obi-Wan says, power alone is no credit to you. Humans cannot live completely on the dark side or with just power. We are built to need different things, things no true darksider can have.

Also, "Jedi" is not synonymous with "light side". The same thing goes for the Sith with the light side. The Jedi have good intentions by trying to become like the passive Force, but set themselves up to fail. They should have emotion- it's part of the experience of life. They should have the wisdom and control to use their emotions for the universe's benifit though. They should also learn to let go of their emotions and the things they hold dear when needed. That part the Jedi are right about.

Most Sith to me deceive themselves. To truly be on the dark side is something that is worst for humans. Sith just don't want responsibility, or can't resist the temptation of giving in. The exceptions are those who are on the dark side for the greater good, even though sometimes it actually isn't the greater good.

Edited by indarkestday

*gets into the Sun Crusher*

Alright you Jedi and Sith boyos.  Lets see you all become one with the force!

*stars blowing up stars where Sith and Jedi congregate*

You've created an echo, a wound in the Force!

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.