Conservatives seeking to ruin E3 now?

Arkan

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060124/tc_nm/...a_videogames_dc

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The video game industry's 2006 E3Expo trade show in Los Angeles is getting a make-over -- banned are the swarms of sexy, semi-clad "booth babes" that in years past took the unveiling of new games and technology to titillating new levels.

Rules prohibiting the use of scantily clad young women to peddle video games are nothing new, but the handbook for this year's show in May outlines tough new penalties, including a $5,000 fine on the spot for the booth owner if the "booth babe" is semi-clad.

"What's new in 2006 is an update and clarification of the enforcement policies; as we do from time to time, we have taken steps to ensure that exhibitors are familiar with the policy and how it will be enforced," Mary Dolaher, E3Expo show director, said in an e-mail.

She did not comment on the reasons for the change.

The video game industry has come under fire from federal and local politicians, who want to limit sales of violent and sexually explicit games to minors.

The handbook from the Entertainment Software Association, the show's promoter, says: "Material, including live models, conduct that is sexually explicit and/or sexually provocative, including but not limited to nudity, partial nudity and bathing suit bottoms, are prohibited on the show floor, all common areas, and at any access points to the show."

Exhibitors would receive one verbal warning when a violation occurs. Upon a second violation, the ESA said it would impose a $5,000 penalty, payable immediately on the site. It would also require that models comply with the dress code before returning to the floor.

ESA said it has sole discretion to determine what is acceptable.

Now, I'm of the belief that video games shouldn't need scantily clad women to advertise, but I'm very against this move. Why? It's completely unnecessary to try to censor something your advertising that your product will contain. Not too sure if that's a good way to pu it, but whatever.

What would happen if they suddenly said football games could no longer have scantily clad women on the field?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I'm glad this is being done, because fawning over booth babes is pathetic and it takes attention away from the games.

So? Do you think they're doing this for the good of the video games or to placate conservatives or anyone else who's being prudish about women in bathing suits?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

So? Do you think they're doing this for the good of the video games or to placate conservatives or anyone else who's being prudish about women in bathing suits?

I've never heard of anyone being particularly prudish about it, but I have heard a lot of developers complaining for the same reasons I have. E3 is a press event for video games. Booth babes detract from what should be the focus of the event.

Only issue I have with it is the censorship...I mean...I can understand nudity, but bathing suit bottoms? What, are they going to enforce a dress code at the beach now?

I also get where Mr. Sawyer is coming from...oggling babes does take time away from oggling games.......with their sweet, sweet voluptuous pixels. :mellow:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I'm glad this is being done, because fawning over booth babes is pathetic and it takes attention away from the games.

On the other hand, couldn't it be reasoned that if someone would rather fawn over a booth babe than pay attention to a new game, that game obviously isn't very appealing?

From my own perspective, I can say that I like women. A lot. But if I'm at a video game expo then I'm there for the video games. The only time I could see myself getting sidetracked is if the game is so boring or so unappealing that I might as well stare at the semi-nude babe.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Whats wrong with appreciating the female body? I don't understand why people get so up tight about this. Who cares, the women even get a job out of it, cool. Video games sell, and if sex helps so be it. You guys had the echani warrior girl in scantilly clad underwear as an option for apparel so lets not be a hypocrit. :cool:

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

You guys had the echani warrior girl in scantilly clad underwear as an option for apparel so lets not be a hypocrit.  :cool:

I didn't know JE worked on K2 :mellow:

Please be certain of who worked on what before you label someone a hypocrite :)

I don't think he was talking about Josh directly, but as "you guys" referring to the company Josh now represents.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If a booth babe can distract you from a game, then it's a really poor game. :p)

They're just eye candy, so there's just so much you can do with them. It's not like you can take them home or anything.

Another stupid ruling, that's what it is.

Yeah, but every article put out about the booth babes by the media is not an article put out about a game.

Furthermore, how many "smaller" game studios have the $$$$ to bring out the booth babes to draw out a crowd. I wouldn't mind a bit more exposure to other games.