Conservatives seeking to ruin E3 now?

Arkan

I can't say I've exactly missed him. If that is him.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

What you or me think we know about marketing, or our thoughts on how it should be conducted are rather irrelevant, as there are people who do that for a living. There are set rules, set strategies that do work, and that is a fact. Anything else is just speculation. That's why I said it's outside of the scope of this discussion.

If they say sex sells, even in video games, you're going to have to deal with it.

At E3, most of the booths have front areas, where limited-pass people hang out, play the games, and ogle girls (if present). They almost always also have back areas, or another small booth, where people in suits meet and discuss things that are actually important to the financial success of a game. Companies with booth babes get a lot of people coming to them and they might get mentioned in some press about the game, but usually not by association with an evaluation of the game.

The trio of 40 year-old sellers from Target, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy who push their way past the dummies out front don't really care how many people are waiting in line to get a t-shirt thrown to them from a model. Even though they don't understand games that well, they do understand the bottom line, and they pretty much exclude what's going on out front from that equation. Some press people are influenced by it, but not the ones who are worth a hill of beans.

Some might say, "So what?" E3 is a noisy, hard-to-navigate mass of people and immobile obstacles. The huge stages, powerful flashing lights, and mobs of people make the conference a horrible place to try to work. It is hard to hear things and be heard, much less remain coherent over the course of an 8-10 hour day The smaller the "non-industry" traffic/population becomes, the more the conference focuses on interactions between developers, publishers and retailers -- which is the whole point of the event.

Want to sell sex? Sell it where it matters: online, print, and television ads. At E3 you're misplacing your efforts and making the conference a difficult place to work.

You're asking the wrong crowd, though. By frequenting a gaming forum, we're relatively well-informed about our games. I wouldn't be surprised if such tactics did work on the casual crowd. It's being used as a marketing tactic for a reason after all.

There is no "casual crowd" at E3. You have to be part of the industry to get in. Or at least know someone in the industry.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

There is no "casual crowd" at E3. You have to be part of the industry to get in. Or at least know someone in the industry.

That's pretty easy to do. Trust me, there is a large casual crowd.

A large casual crowd of what? Consumers? If the answer is yes, then wouldn't it be correct to say that E3 IS a consumer show?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

At E3, most of the booths have front areas, where limited-pass people hang out, play the games, and ogle girls (if present).  They almost always also have back areas, or another small booth, where people in suits meet and discuss things that are actually important to the financial success of a game.  Companies with booth babes get a lot of people coming to them and they might get mentioned in some press about the game, but usually not by association with an evaluation of the game.

The trio of 40 year-old sellers from Target, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy who push their way past the dummies out front don't really care how many people are waiting in line to get a t-shirt thrown to them from a model.  Even though they don't understand games that well, they do understand the bottom line, and they pretty much exclude what's going on out front from that equation.  Some press people are influenced by it, but not the ones who are worth a hill of beans.

Those are good points that I hadn't considered. But you know what they say, "there is no bad press".

Some might say, "So what?"  E3 is a noisy, hard-to-navigate mass of people and immobile obstacles.  The huge stages, powerful flashing lights, and mobs of people make the conference a horrible place to try to work.  It is hard to hear things and be heard, much less remain coherent over the course of an 8-10 hour day  The smaller the "non-industry" traffic/population becomes, the more the conference focuses on interactions between developers, publishers and retailers -- which is the whole point of the event.

Want to sell sex?  Sell it where it matters: online, print, and television ads.  At E3 you're misplacing your efforts and making the conference a difficult place to work.

Fair enough. So you like this rule because it will supposedly make traffic more fluid. Somehow, I doubt that's the reasoning behind this ruling, as they have only banned booth girls and not anything else that might cause "traffic jams" in the expo, such as maybe giving out promo gifts.

A large casual crowd of what? Consumers? If the answer is yes, then wouldn't it be correct to say that E3 IS a consumer show?

If Dutch ambassadors snuck their way into your house and received visitors as though they were on sovereign territory of the Netherlands, would your house be the Dutch embassy?

If Dutch ambassadors snuck their way into your house and received visitors as though they were on sovereign territory of the Netherlands, would your house be the Dutch embassy?

If Dutch ambassadors snuck their way into my house and received visitors as though they were on sovereign territory of the Netherlands, I think I'd have bigger fish to fry... <_<

But thanks for not ansering the question.

Hear that?

Yes, sounds like the leaking of gas.

Sorry :">

I guess i agree with Sawyer on this one, "booth babes detract from what should be the focus of the event." They also give video games a false image to associate them with, so state legislatures and the like frown upon scantily clad women at E3 and therefore they frown upon video-games too. I don't want games to be looked at like that. They are more than that. But whatever :(

I guess i agree with Sawyer on this one, "booth babes detract from what should be the focus of the event." They also give video games a false image to associate them with, so state legislatures and the like frown upon scantily clad women at E3 and therefore they frown upon video-games too. I don't want games to be looked at like that. They are more than that. But whatever :ermm:

Might as well take chearleaders out of professional sports.

Might as well take chearleaders out of professional sports.

They've done that in most sports in Sweden. They are also very reluctant to show the ring girls in boxing/MMA. They outlawed the pitgirls in motorsports a few years back, but they seem to have come back, probably under fake titles like "Assistant mechanic" or something.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The point that J.E. was trying to make which you fail to grasp, Arkan, is that the E3 was never meant to be a consumer show but a show for the industry to get some press. It evolved into its current form and actually it could be time for it to go back they way it originally meant to be.

Edited by Judge Hades

The point that J.E. was trying to make which you fail to grasp, Arkan, is that the E3 was never meant to be a consumer show but a show for the industry to get some press.  It evolved into its current form and actually it could be time for it to go back they way it originally meant to be.

I understand his point regard that completely. But booth babes are not the reason for the numerous folks that are snuck in by friends in the business.

You're also correct in saying that it has evolved. This kind of thing happens. Evolve or fall to the wayside.