Conservatives seeking to ruin E3 now?

Arkan

The more you type the more I agree with you, J.E..

Maybe what they need to do is create two E3's. Have one event for the industry and press. Focused on game development and to showcase the new titles all in a nice quiet business like atmosphere then a second "convention" where people can go to geek out at the new games and party.

What an industry it would be if good games would actually get the attention they deserve, without having to resort to lame marketing tactics.

On the bright side, "Despite some of the worst review scores for a mainstream game released in 2005, VUGames sent out a press release announcing that 50 Cent: Bulletproof has now sold over 1 million units in the US."

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

The more you type the more I agree with you, J.E..

Maybe what they need to do is create two E3's.  Have one event for the industry and press.  Focused on game development and to showcase the new titles all in a nice quiet business like atmosphere then a second "convention" where people can go to geek out at the new games and party.

Agreed...though it might cost a bundle to hold two seperate events.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

On the bright side, "Despite some of the worst review scores for a mainstream game released in 2005, VUGames sent out a press release announcing that 50 Cent: Bulletproof has now sold over 1 million units in the US."

I wonder how many people bought that game that didn't actually like 50 Cent or who bought it because they thought it would be a good game.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

"the bright side, "Despite some of the worst review scores for a mainstream game released in 2005, VUGames sent out a press release announcing that 50 Cent: Bulletproof has now sold over 1 million units in the US."

Here's a thought: Reviewers aren't always right. LOL :D

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Sex sells.  Anyone that thinks differently has blinders on to the world.  It's no different then if you go to a car show of some sort and see so many half naked women walking around you become desensitized to it after awhile.  And while I see where Josh is coming from, I can't say I agree.  I'm more in line with GOA's post.  A hot babe in a bikini might make me walk over to the booth (in which it has served its purpose) but if the game is boring or whatever I'm not going to my waste my time there.  I'll just move on.

Any developer that thinks it's taking away from the games is being a little naive.  People that go to these conventions go there because they like video games and want to see the latest games and technology available, or what is on the horizon that will be coming soon.  Not to see babes.  For example, when I go to Comic-Con I'm going there because I love comics. The thought of seeing some hot blonde in a thong standing at the Top Cow booth never even enters my mind. But if she's there, I'm not gonna complain :)

The difference from Comic Con is that E3 has never been intended as a consumer show. It's for press, publishers, developers, and retailers -- which is why the E3 folks actively try to restrict attendance. When I have difficulty navigating the floor because a string of obviously not-industry people are waiting to have their picture taken with a Lara Croft model, I want to throw grenades under them.

By the way, I actively oppose sexualization of characters unless that's a fundamental part of their design. I fought the valkyrie design for Seven Sorrows every step of the way. During the development of Black Hound, I had to repeatedly call attention to the fact that male versions of armor were absurdly different from the female versions. A suit of hide armor on a male human looked like it came from an eskimo. The same suit put on a female human looked like an Amazonian bikini.

If anyone out there didn't know this, I'll let you in on an internet secret: there are many pictures on the internet of women wearing less than a bikini!!! You don't even have to buy a game to look at them!!!

I actually agree with you here. The objectiifcation of women in video games is embarrassing. Half the armor in World of Warcraft on female characters looks as though it was made for a strip club. But on male characters, the same piece of armor actually looks like (gasp!) armor. I've always said that was really, REALLY dumb.

But my point is here, having booth babes at an expo show, irregardless of the original intent of the expo, is such a non-issue to me. I could care less if they were there or not. I go to see the video games and talk to the developers about their video games. That's it. But then again, I work for Sony. ;)

Basically you have the normal E3 run but halfway on the last day and one whole day after you have it open to the general public and charge an admission fee.

Well, I do hope the armor for the females in NWN 2 are not revealing P.O.S. armor that would stop a epileptic drunk rotgrub. What the hell was the designer of Aribeth's armor thinking and was it with their brain?

Edited by Judge Hades

I'd say make a different event altogether if you want to do a consumer thing, otherwise you are still taking the focus away from the real point of the event. It has nothing to do with sex (I'm all for that!) -- but it has turned into a carnival.

I had to repeatedly call attention to the fact that male versions of armor were absurdly different from the female versions.  A suit of hide armor on a male human looked like it came from an eskimo.  The same suit put on a female human looked like an Amazonian bikini.

Three words for equality in NWN2; studded leather speedos. :)"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I had to repeatedly call attention to the fact that male versions of armor were absurdly different from the female versions.  A suit of hide armor on a male human looked like it came from an eskimo.  The same suit put on a female human looked like an Amazonian bikini.

Three words for equality in NWN2; studded leather speedos. :)"

You're an odd fellow.

What a bunch of screwups, they banned the wrong thing. Instead of booth-babes, they should've banned mediocrity.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

When I have difficulty navigating the floor because a string of obviously not-industry people are waiting to have their picture taken with a Lara Croft model, I want to throw grenades under them.

ALANSCHU INFLUENCE: INCREASED

what about the out of work pr0n stars? who is gonna think 'bout them? dozens of second and third tier starlets of the scandalous screen depended on e3 yearly for some much needed cash... no doubt to pay for extension classes at the local university. why does developers gotta be so selfish. want e3 to be 'bout them and their games? sure, that is understandable, but ain't there 'nuff love to go 'round at e3 for the tramps and trollops working their arses off to earn a living? why does josh gotta be so cold?

bah.

our midwestern values run far too deep for us to complain 'bout change at e3. there is still gonna be attractive babes at e3 for those of you who wants to ogle and gape and drool, but they is gonna now be dressed in clothes/costumes that no longer can be fitting into an aspirin bottle.

good.

no more booth babes trying to distract us from recognizing that a publisher/developer's game sucks?

great.

for chrissakes. e3 is in LA during may. go down to the friggin' beach or one of the 2000 local health clubs and gawk at the beautiful & scantily clad women at those locales.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

New guidelines for a private event = censorship?

They aren't guidelines, they are rules, and you get a hefty fine for not following them. I think there are better ways to change the whole booth babe standard. This is more of a threat to behave, perhaps they should try and spin the fact that a more child friendly and less sexist E3 will help greatly with PR. They need to open up the Boys Club of video games, but attacking the door with an axe is not the smoothest way to do so.