Darth Nihilus

I'm currently replaying k2 and at no point so far, or that i can remember from previous plays, does anyone actually mention Darth Nihilus' name. :)

So what is going on there?

Sorry not much of a topic.

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

I'm currently replaying k2 and at no point so far, or that i can remember from previous plays, does anyone actually mention Darth Nihilus' name. :thumbsup:

So what is going on there?

Sorry not much of a topic.

Don't waste time looking for it. It's never revealed. I have my own suspicions about why that is, but naturally that is purely conjecture on my part. Suffice it to say that if I'm correct, this may be revealed in a potential K3.

Edited by Jediphile

You learn about Darth Nihilus not from Kreia and/or Visas, but from the loading screens between The Ravager and The Ravager Brige areas. <_< :devil:

It is interesting, but obviously cut out.

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]

Darth Nihilus was a Mandalorian prisoner during the Mandalorian Wars. Nihilus survived the destruction of Malachor V and became force sensitive due to the death and destruction around him. Later Darth Traya finds him and sense the force within him. Traya teaches Nihilus and Sion of the Sith. Nihilus and Sion than betray her and exiles her from the Lords of the Sith.

hi.

You know the words that he speaks?

It might just be nothing,

OR

I think it might just be an ancient Sith language.

Note that Nihilus' speech is similar to the sounds of Sith Holocrons made in the library on Telos.

It may just a theory, but it's possible that both speeches of Nihilius and Sith Holocrons are dialects of some language of the Sith on Korriban.

But it is strange that no-one knows/speaks his name in the whole game.

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

It's actually not that surprising that Darth Nihilius' name is never mentioned in the game. His name come the Latin word "nihil", which means nothing, so it makes a lot of sense. In addition, The Sith Lords places huge literary importance on names. Think about it for a second:

1. You are nameless. You are simply "the Exile".

2. Atton Rand isn't Atton's real name; he concealed it.

3. The Handmaiden doesn't reveal her name to you for the longest time.

4. The Disciple is named only once or twice throughout the entire game.

5. Kreia was called Darth Traya during her time ruling the Sith (which implies "betrayal").

6. Darth Nihilus is nothing in essence, which is why his name is so unimportant.

7. Darth Sion's name comes from the word "scion", which implies that he was to suceed Darth Traya; unfit or no.

The changing or hiding of a name typically implies the changing or hiding of identity or purpose in the literary world. When approached like this, the characters are thrown into a whole new light.

1. The Exile doesn't know his true destiny until his final confrontation with Kreia.

2. Atton Rand is afraid and ashamed of what he had "done" in the past and wants it to lie forgotten.

3. The Handmaiden places importance to Atris' "plans" over herself until the Exile relieves her of that burden by either training her as a Jedi Knight, facing her to confront her sisters, or both.

4. The Disciple's purpose is to preserve the Jedi Order in the eyes of the greater galaxy. His self is secondary.

5. Kreia betrayed the Jedi Order and, like most Sith, adopted a new name in tune with what the Trayus Academy had revealed to her.

6. Darth Nihilus is nothing except that which he consumes. Like the Exile, he is a black hole in the Force and life itself. He is the true definition of "nothing".

7. Darth Sion's name is important because it lays out his path for him. It predicts what he will become.

Hope this helps explain the convention of names (or lack thereof) regarding Darth Nihilus and in The Sith Lords at large.

swesbrly5iz.gif

One thing to ponder in connection with Nihilus is some of the things the masters tell the Exile (LS) when they meet again on Dantooine...

"The last Jedi conclave was on Katarr, a Miraluka colony. And all of Katarr was destroyed, all of the Jedi killed...Including Master Zhar... Master Vandar... A Jedi doesn't care if he dies. Everyone does, but when we fight, when we sacrifice ourselves, it is for others, for the greater good. But our presence must not endanger others. And as long as we were visible targets, we were a threat to everything around us.There was a gathering of Jedi on the planet - when we realized that something was attacking us, we resolved to meet secretly to attempt to find this threat.Then... Katarr was no more.When we felt Katarr die, there is something we felt, something we'd felt once before. An echo in the Force.We'd felt it before when you stood before us. Whatever this threat, whatever this hunger is, it is something tied to you, something you have experienced directly. This echo travels in the places where death has walked, where planets have died. Massacres fuel its power, the death of life fuels it."

And later during the meeting...

"The Sith are a threat, it is true. But the threat they present... it is tied to you in some way. The echo we have felt on the worlds we have walked - we have encountered it only once before, when you stood before us at your trial.We believe that somehow, you are creating this - or that the Sith have learned this technique from you."

Obviously I have my own speculation about what this means, but I'll let you draw your own conclusions for now, since the above quotes are directly from the game.

nihilus mean "terrorist" and he was named due to is style of attacking hide deep in space then stike. also his power in the dark side has twisted his speech but he is still understood because anybody he would have a conversation with would feel what he meant. and the i think the reason they never say his name is because it was writen ful of plot holes

Darth Nihilus was a Mandalorian prisoner during the Mandalorian Wars. Nihilus survived the destruction of Malachor V and became force sensitive due to the death and destruction around him. Later Darth Traya finds him and sense the force within him. Traya teaches Nihilus and Sion of the Sith. Nihilus and Sion than betray her and exiles her from the Lords of the Sith.

I think we can attribute/blame this piece of information to Wikipedia. Not that I mind the comment, but I really do prefer people give their sources when saying these things, especially if that source is Wikipedia (or similar), where anyone can revise the articles and add their own speculation, which is then taken as facts by subsequent readers. Heck, I could rewrite the article to fit with my own conjecture about Nihilus' origin, but that would still just be speculation. The only ones who can tells us the truth here are the developers... or George Lucas. So let's just accept that we 'nihil' about the origin of Nihilus :blink:

The reason why they chose the name Nihilus was due to the fact he was in fact nothing. The only way he became nothing though is because of the wound in the force crap. Exile and Nihilus are both dead spots in the force. we all know why Exile is wound in the force but Nihilus its different. Nihilus was on the planet when it was destroyed, when the echo (the wound) completed Malachor was a planet of the dark side, the echo must have past into Nihilus and killed whatever was living in side of him. His force sensitivy actually kept what was left of him alive and the dark side energy from the planet corrupted him

hi.

I hope Obsidian don't do this 'meaningful name' thing with NWN2. I find most of the names rather obvious and unrealistic. I look forward to seeing what they do with the random name generator, though.

One of our cats was on the computer desk when I read the above post, so I pulled up a picture of Nihilus but she didn't recognise it.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)