KOTOR II Expansion Pack

What would you think of a KOTOR II Expansion Pack? Not something like the TSLRP where it's fixing the plotholes and bugs, but something that can hold us over to KOTOR III. For instance, you can play on after the Exile defeated Darth Traya on Malachor V, and the storylines should be a little easier to fill since certain conditions would be based on the globals (if that's what they're called) set earlier (ie who controls Onderon).

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Never did like expansion packs much, since they always seemed like an attempt to do only "half a game" or so.

Up until a few years ago, they were mostly there to let the developers write a quick continued plot using the same engine, but these days this is less relevant since everything has to be in 3D and all dialogue has to spoken, thus making any 'continued plot' release, whether Expansion pack or otherwise, a major undertaking. So that makes them even less relevant, since it's almost as easy (or difficult) as writing a new game, especially now that 'recycled' graphics engines have been acceptable.

And then you run into the problem of whether the audience will accept it as part of the evolving plot. Could you imagine Monkey Island 3.5 or so? Does sound problematic for as plot-driven a game series as KotOR, I think. After all, what can you do plotwise in an Expansion that follows up on K2, yet is not plot-heavy enough to be K3? For example, we can count the entire Clone Wars animated series as Episode 2.5, but how many of us see it as canon Star Wars and how many do not? A lot of people still refuse to accept the comics and books of the Expanded Universe as canon even though they are approved by the company and the creator himself.

So in the interest of not alienated such people, the developers will always choose a "light" enough plot for an Expansion pack in order to make the "real" sequel relevant to all the potential customers, and therefore limit the amount of potential plot development in the Expansion pack.

Taking all that into consideration, I'd much rather move right onto K3 than some expansion pack.

I don't mind expansion packs as long as the price fits the experience.

What I mean by that is simply that if the expansion pack is, say, 1/4 the length of the regular game, then the price should be 1/4 the price of the regular game as well.

I have no qualms about paying money for an expansion pack, even if its story and game time is much shorter, as long as I'm not paying full price.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If you are talking about a fan made expansion pack and charging money for it, you can't. It goes against the license of the game.

I assumed the original poster was talking about official expansion packs, such as HotU or SoU for NWN.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Either or. Fan made or official.

... and yes, I know that the fan made ones gotta' be free :blink:

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

I have no qualms about paying money for an expansion pack, even if its story and game time is much shorter, as long as I'm not paying full price.

Word.

I'd love some expansions...of any game that I like. Assuming that said expansions consisted of more than a few 'new monsters' and some 'new weapons'. That would just be, like, a patch.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

As long as it really is an expansion pack and not a glorified patch. More game and story is a given but I want to be able to do more with my character, that includes hooded robes with animated hood up/hood down, not just swapping out models and fighting stances. While we're at it optional cybernetics for the pc after and depending on how certain events pan out, and also for Kreia and Mandalore depending on availability and your influence.

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

They already have half the material anyway, including voice acting :lol:

And to make new lines you just have to cut certain words out of existing files and mold them into a new sentence (kinda like you had to do with the Sonic Sensor, only you gotta' do this manually now)

DAWUSS

I wonder if expansion packs are worthwhile on RPG games. I mean as long as the game is not rediculously short and has replay value, then it might be fine.

How could they do an expansion pack for KOTOR II? I mean the ending is vague, so they could flesh that out and maybe set the mood for KOTOR III, maybe show how the exile drops his friends off to their respective homes while solving local mysteries at the same time. That is one thing I would like to see in KOTOR III, having a planet that is NOT directly linked to the main story, but is like a huge sidequest. They were planning a Hutt planet or something like that for KOTOR I which was not linked to finding the starmaps, but that got cut early on. KOTOR II Expansion could contain similar stuff, although they should do something like this in KOTOR III.

To be honest, I would be perfectly happy waiting for KOTOR III, which *Should* rap up this whole storyline arc. That dosnt say I wouldnt get an expansion for KOTOR II, but somehow I think

Hell will freeze over before LA does a KOTOR II Expansion pack that gives us a real ending

Edited by aerowars617

Night of the Raven was an interesting expansion pack for Gothic 2.

The second chapter of the game was notoriously difficult. So when it was time to make an expansion, the developpers decided to add a chapter after the first, to give more xp to the player to tackle chapter 2 (now chap 3). There was also a seamless integration of the new content in chapter 1 and 2 (now chap 3).

Maybe they could do a similar thing with KOTOR 2, adding a planet and a series of miniquests to solve the storyline problems, along with the usual assortment of new enemies, weapons and other stuff.

We would have to start a new game but its so good, who would mind?

I would love to see an expansion for KOTOR 2, I just don't think it'll ever happen. I think OE has closed the chapter on KOTOR 2, in that what's done has long since been done. They're off and running on other projects, and if you believe IGN, they are already working on KOTOR 3. Besides, it appears that LA and LFL has decided, in true capitalist fasion, that the best way to bridge the gap in between KOTOR 2 and KOTOR 3 is to have a comic book series be released under the same title.

That's what it looks like to me anyway.

...that the best way to bridge the gap in between KOTOR 2 and KOTOR 3 is to have a comic book series be released under the same title.

That's not the time period the comic is going to be about, nor is the main character associated (as far as we know) with the two KOTOR protagonists.

I would injoy an expansion that had Vash alive instead of dead.

however i rather have filled plot holes and restoration of cut content.

Your not all ways being honest when your telling the truth.

Everything slows down when water's around.

Guest The Architect

Well, it would be a dream come true if there were a KOTOR II Special Edition or something with all the bugs and glitches fixed and all the cut content restored, however, LucasArts will not do this because they think business-wise they won't sell enough copies so it would be a big waste of time. So there are two steps that you folks from the KOTOR community should take, the first step is to promise yourself that if a KOTOR II Special Edition comes out that you will buy it and support LucasArts and Obsidian and the second step is to get the KOTOR Community to band together and let LucasArts know that you will get behind them and purchase a KOTOR II Special Edition and that thousands, perhaps millions of KOTOR fans will buy it. Got the message!

Those who want more Kotor would be better off pushing for Kotor 3 than a Kotor 2 expansion pack or special edition. LucasArts is trying to have fewer, more successful projects, and I can't see how a Kotor 2 Special Addition would fit in with their plans.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

• 2 weeks later...
What would you think of a KOTOR II Expansion Pack? Not something like the TSLRP where it's fixing the plotholes and bugs, but something that can hold us over to KOTOR III. For instance, you can play on after the Exile defeated Darth Traya on Malachor V, and the storylines should be a little easier to fill since certain conditions would be based on the globals (if that's what they're called) set earlier (ie who controls Onderon).

I would love one...

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot