Medieval 2: Total War

Llyranor

<3 large scale warfare. We'll see how they implement sieges as well.

My top priority is mp, though, so no mp campaign is pretty disappointing.

We'll have to see how Warhammer: Mark of Chaos will implement mp.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

CoH's mp is still 'secret', but apparently it'll be 'special' and take advantage of the WW2 era to make something 'unique'. Nothing has really been released, though.

The similarities to DoW will be its fast pace (which you can also see by looking at game footage), and the resource system. Basically, how resources work in DoW is that, you have to control strategic points to gain resources, so it's a 'Capture The Flag'-esque type of gameplay, which allows for very dynamic mp (you have to constantly push for more strategic points, and so does the enemy).

Hadescopy.jpg

Sounds like Lucas was interested in that idea with Empire at War as well. While you have to build your units "outside" of combat, if you want to bring in more units you need to capture the reinforcement points on the map.

I could see myself getting CoH simply because it's a WW2 game. Though it still depends on how RTSish it is.

I don't want it to be like Codename Panzers where units still have HP and whatnot. Though I have a feeling that that is what it will be like.

I am interested in its AI though.

Edited by alanschu

Look at this game: http://www.facesofwargame.com

Nothing like a conventional RTS. No resource gathering, just pure warfare. Tanks that feel like real tanks. More emphasis on small-squad tactics (you have squad control of ~12 dudes in total) than a bigger RTS scale.

Did I mention a COOP MODE?

Hadescopy.jpg

There really isn't any other WW2 game I'm looking forward to, and I might not even pick up Faces of War (too many games, need to prioritize to the absolute best).

What I am looking forward to is future Combat Mission games.

Hadescopy.jpg

Well, when I say keep me in mind, it's not necessarily to play with. Just to mention it because I don't have as much time to keep up on this sort of stuff anymore.

If I could consolidate my gaming information to one forum, that'd be sweet :wacko:

Does anyone remember Myth by Bungie? It was a great real time combat game. I don't consider Total War or Myth style games RTS because they don't have any unit building or resource gathering. They are just about formations and positioning.

I'm pretty excited about the chances of Medieval TW:2. If anything, the single player campaign will be nice to play with the updated graphics engine.

I think that's what I like about Total War (and Myth...hmmmm exploding undead) is that I don't have to worry about unit building or resource gathering.

With Total War, it's quite possible to win (and win handily) even if you're outmatched (in unit strength, as well as unit numbers). The thing I like about Empire at War is that the unit building is abstracted out of the battlefield, which is kind of silly. I'd much rather have a game be about the tactical decisions (and strategic, if there's a world map) rather than making sure I don't forget to build my new units, or get my new tech upgrade, or whatever.

My days of playing the C&C and SC style RTS games are definitely passed.

methinks that the Empire at war style system will have alot of similarities to Total war in that you do train your guys but once on the battlefield you can't get any more without either winning or loosing.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.