Old console collecting...

I've recently found myself with the chance to buy a second-hand Nintendo 64 in very good condition. The thing is, is it worth it? Since I have also recently purchased a Gamecube, I'm divided between starting to increase my Cube software library, or put those on hold and quickly invest in the N64 and a couple of its titles before it disappears. But the only titles I'm (currently) interested in are:

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Super Mario 64

Paper Mario

Star Fox

Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness

Pilotwings 64

F-Zero X

and I'd also have to buy Memory Cards and an Expansion Pak.

I'd probably buy a Nintendo 64 for the Zelda titles alone, but I'm divided. I would really want to own some of these titles, though. I know I can resort to emulation - I've got at least half of those titles emulated - but from a collector's point of view it just isn't the same.

Thoughts?

I've recently found myself with the chance to buy a second-hand Nintendo 64 in very good condition. The thing is, is it worth it? Since I have also recently purchased a Gamecube, I'm divided between starting to increase my Cube software library, or put those on hold and quickly invest in the N64 and a couple of its titles before it disappears. But the only titles I'm (currently) interested in are:

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Super Mario 64

Paper Mario

Star Fox

Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness

Pilotwings 64

F-Zero X

and I'd also have to buy Memory Cards and an Expansion Pak.

I'd probably buy a Nintendo 64 for the Zelda titles alone, but I'm divided. I would really want to own some of these titles, though. I know I can resort to emulation - I've got at least half of those titles emulated - but from a collector's point of view it just isn't the same.

Thoughts?

You answered your own quetion already: 'I've got at least half of those titles emulated - but from a collector's point of view it just isn't the same.'

So, just buy it, or you have doubts of it later, and if ya regret it, then you just sell it again :p

IB1OsQq.png

Plus, with a good enough comp, you can probably just play the roms.  :-"

Well I have Super Mario 64, Legacy of Darkness and the Zelda titles emulated. With community-made Texture Packs that increase the texture quality, and the ability to play in higher resolutions, it looks pretty good.

But still it's not quite as owning the actual thing.

If I knew for certain that they'll be available for the Revolution, I'd wait. But that would still only account for the Zelda titles, not the others.

I knew if I tried getting back into consoles I'd go into a frenzy like this :thumbsup:

Edited by Role-Player

So, just buy it, or you have doubts of it later, and if ya regret it, then you just sell it again :thumbsup:

Probably for more money, too.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

How easy would it be to find accessories? They'd all be second hand i presume. While emulation is good the lack of analogue stick causes problems. Are there any good analogue conrollers for PC that would work with the emulator? I saw some gadget that allows you to plug your N64 controller into your PC but i was wary of overseas ordering.

How easy would it be to find accessories? They'd all be second hand i presume. While emulation is good the lack of analogue stick causes problems. Are there any good analogue conrollers for PC that would work with the emulator? I saw some gadget that allows you to plug your N64 controller into your PC but i was wary of overseas ordering.

Yeah, they make some good ones (that have dual analogues) for about 20 bucks.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

The only controller I use for my PC is a Logitech Dual Action. It works pretty well for emulation or with games which are mainly console ports (ie, Soul Reaver, Metal Gear Solid), although I had some initial problems configuring it properly. Also, since it was a long time since I'd use a N64 controller I can't tell if the configuration I'm using is as intuitive as the original setup.

Would you need an expansion pak for any of those titles listed?

Majora's Mask definitely needs it. Not sure about the others, though.

Those titles are all common and fairly easy to find (at least here in the states). You might as well pick them up if you have $100 or so to spare.

That's true, and I do have a bit over 100 USD to spend; but given I live in Europe, I have to order PAL versions of them. Ordering Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Legacy of Darkness and Paper Mario from amazon.co.uk, it pretty much goes above 209.780 EUR (a whopping 254.636 USD).

It's not a genre that has that much of a hold on me, although I can appreciate some FPSs just fine. As an example I fell asleep when playing Half-Life and was thoroughly disappointed with the later stages. On the other hand I enjoyed Doom, Quake 2, Soldier of Fortune, System Shock and what little I could play of Half-Life 2.

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark seem like good titles. I tried playing an emulated version of Perfect Dark but the controls seemed a bit iffy and firstperson shooting on a console doesn't quite grab me. The sole exception up until now seems Metroid Prime, but I may be biased. I'd have to try them again.

DK seemed very good. Was it as good as Banjo-Kazooie?

That's okay about the post :)