The Witcher

Dagon

I'm not sure what the point of telling me that was.  My point is simply that lots of games don't have specific release dates, so that would seem to make GhostofAnakin skeptical of a lot of games.

My only point was contrast that with, say, TSL's release schedule. Sure it was "winter 2005", but that was always when then planned to release it, give or take a couple of months (Dec 2005 to Feb 2006).

At this point I bet you can't even get that vague of a timetable from the Witcher's developers. If you can, then you certainly have access to more information than the general public. Whereas at this point in the TSL development we were told that the game was set to be released within the Dec 2005 to Feb 2006 timeframe.

edit: here's their official FAQ "when will it be released" thread:

Click me.

That was written in 2004 and they still haven't updated on their site approximately when it will be released. Contrast that to, atleast, the information that Obsidian has released about when abouts the NWN2 release is.

Get my point?

Edited by GhostofAnakin

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Just to clarify, saying "the same Aurora engine and toolset as NWN" is probably oversimplified.  There is a significant number of changes, such as 3.5 rules, changes to support the different system for exterior maps etc etc.

Good point. As I pointed out, they will have done a lot in the time they had. If it needs be pushed back, I hope they will rather than slap a label on it anyway. But I know many people have said that on the other boards.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Rendering/graphics engine is re-written from scratch.

Pathfinding is re-written from scratch

Toolset re-written from scratch

To say its the 'same engine just modified' would be deceiving.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

That was written in 2004 and they still haven't updated on their site approximately when it will be released.  Contrast that to, atleast, the information that Obsidian has released about when abouts the NWN2 release is.

Get my point?

No, not really. There's plenty of info about expected release windows for The Witcher.

For example...

With development around 20 months in, CD Projekt hopes to be code-complete by the end of this year, with some months of balancing and polishing to follow.

Other than Obsidian's statements in interviews, I'd go to the NWN2 to check the official release date only there isn't one. :huh:

Anyway, if you feel skeptical about games that don't have firm release dates that's entirely your prerogative - all I am saying is there are a large numbers of games in that position.

Anyway, if you feel skeptical about games that don't have firm release dates that's entirely your prerogative - all I am saying is there are a large numbers of games in that position.

I ammended my comment to say I am skeptical of games that don't even have a really tentative release date. Even the link you provided is so much more vague. They "hope" to be done coding by the end of the year and then "some months" of polishing and balancing. In other words, they still don't really have a clue when it will be ready for release.

From all accounts that I've heard, NWN2 *will* be released Q2 2006. They don't have a definite date, but atleast they have a tentative timeframe. The link you gave me, plus the one I posted, indicates that the Witcher could be anywhere from sometime the end of this year, to sometime the end of 2007 or maybe early 2008.

Which is why I'm not skeptical about a game like NWN2, but remain skeptical about the Witcher.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Well, not really. There is significant core codebase, which stays behind the scenes and is pretty stable (base for ruleset implementation, networking, data organization). I'd say, 'it is based around the old engine'.

How has the pathfinding been rewritten?

I am not sure I understand the question or what isnt clear.

The pathfinding AI has been gutted and been re-written from line 1 by the kommander.

I am not sure how else to be clear on that. heh.

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Well, not really. There is significant core codebase, which stays behind the scenes and is pretty stable (base for ruleset implementation, networking, data organization). I'd say, 'it is based around the old engine'.

To be accurate one should say its the core engine heavily modified with certain aspects re-written from scratch. You are correct the game mechanics and certain other aspects hav ebeen modified. However ignorning the parts that have been rewritten is deceving and not fully accurate to say they are 'modified' IMO.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

BLARG!

Does it really matter.  I just have to have this game!  (w00t)

GIMME!  GIMME!  GIMME!  GIMME!  GIMME!  GIMME!

NWN 2, not the Witcher.  I might get the Witcher depending on the reviews.

+1 :)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

How has the pathfinding been rewritten?

I am not sure I understand the question or what isnt clear.

The pathfinding AI has been gutted and been re-written from line 1 by the kommander.

I am not sure how else to be clear on that. heh.

I was curious if there was any information about how they were implementing their pathfinding. You say it's been rewritten.....and I'm asking in what way.

I was curious if there was any information about how they were implementing their pathfinding.  You say it's been rewritten.....and I'm asking in what way.

All he has said in public is the old pathfinding routines were gutted and hes been tasked with writing the new code. All we know that I recall.

Edited by Rhomal

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

"He" being ferret?

The Kommander.

Edit:

See here - http://www.nwn2news.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=227

Edited by Rhomal

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

• 1 year later...

It doesn't have any real character creation system so I don't really care much for it. Such designs might have been okay in the days of PS:T but not today.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"