Is a truce possible?

Gfted1

Bin Laden Warns of Attacks, Offers Truce

Jan 19, 11:11 AM (ET)

By LEE KEATH

CAIRO, Egypt (AP) - Al-Jazeera on Thursday broadcast portions of an audiotape purportedly from Osama bin Laden, saying al-Qaida is making preparations for attacks in the United States but offering a possible truce to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan.

The voice on the tape said heightened security in the United States is not the reason there have been no attacks there since the Sept. 11, 2001, suicide hijackings.

Instead, the reason is "because there are operations that need preparations," he said.

"The delay in similar operations happening in America has not been because of failure to break through your security measures. But the operations are happening in Baghdad and you will see them here at home the minute they are through (with preparations), with God's permission," he said.

"We do not mind offering you a long-term truce with fair conditions that we adhere to," he said. "We are a nation that God has forbidden to lie and cheat. So both sides can enjoy security and stability under this truce so we can build Iraq and Afghanistan, which have been destroyed in this war. There is no shame in this solution, which prevents the wasting of billions of dollars that have gone to those with influence and merchants of war in America."

The speaker did not give conditions for a truce in the excerpts aired by Al-Jazeera.

There was no immediate confirmation of the tape's authenticity, although the voice resembled that of bin Laden's in previous messages.

It has been more than a year since the last confirmed message from bin Laden - the longest period without a video or audiotape from the al-Qaida leader. The last audiotape purported to be from bin Laden was broadcast in December 2004 by Al-Jazeera. In that recording, he endorsed Abu-Musab al-Zarqawi as his deputy in Iraq and called for a boycott of Iraqi elections.

Al-Jazeera's editor-in-chief Ahmed al-Sheik would not comment on when or where the tape was received. He said the full tape was 10 minutes long. The station aired four excerpts with what it "considered newsworthy," he said, but would not say what was on the remainder.

Al-Sheik said the tape seemed to have been made "recently" but would not saw what led him to that conclusion.

Is this possible is your opinion? While it would not eliminate terrorism (there are many groups) it would remove a rather large player from the scene. What do you think he wants in return for ceasing terrorist activities? Why is he offering this?

Edited by Gfted1

Same rhetoric as before, only this time he directed it to the USA; last time he directed it to Europe.

No, no truce is possible. The silliness about (sic) "We're only attacking you because you're in Iraq and Afganistan, so you leave and we'll stop" is ludicrous considering the myriad Al Qaeda attacks levied against the USA over the past decades long before we had put a single bootprint in Afghanistan or Baghdad. Besides, I trust Bin Laden to keep his word about as much as I trust Bush to keep his.

The newest tape just Bin Laden's way of letting his fans know he's still alive, giving Al Jazeera a well-deserved ratings boost, and handing USA intelligence agencies (which will spend the next few months pouring over every syllable in the tape) a reason to exist.

Yes, this truce would be an excellent chance for Al-Qaida to restore itself, and repair any damage done in Afghanistan and Iraq. God has most certainly forbidden them from cheating and lying, but if it's an infidel, it's not cheating and lying.

Once they are done, they can just announce their intention of cancelling the truce by flying an airliner against some building.

How clever of them.

There cannot be peace or a truce as long as the idealogies involved are not eliminated.

Surely you mean that Everyone Must Die, don't you?

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

No, no truce is possible.  The silliness about (sic) "We're only attacking you because you're in Iraq and Afganistan, so you leave and we'll stop" is ludicrous considering the myriad Al Qaeda attacks levied against the USA over the past decades long before we had put a single bootprint in Afghanistan or Baghdad.  Besides, I trust Bin Laden to keep his word about as much as I trust Bush to keep his.

Thats what came to my mind too, what would he ask for in return? Obviously were not going to just up and leave Afghanistan or Iraq before they are deemed "stable", so what else is there?

Does anyone think hes feeling the strain of losses of foot soldiers and leaders? He floated this idea about 1.5 years ago and nothing ever came of it.

"Yes, this truce would be an excellent chance for Al-Qaida to restore itself, and repair any damage done in Afghanistan and Iraq."

Yup. That's exactly it. It's the same tataic the Palestine terrorist group like Hamas use against Isreal.

They get their butts wupped, call a truce, then come back with a vengeance. The cycle repeats itself. Afterall, even these organizations have to replace dead members from time to time. Takes a while to brainwash people.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Thats what came to my mind too, what would he ask for in return? Obviously were not going to just up and leave Afghanistan or Iraq before they are deemed "stable", so what else is there?

Well everything is open to interpretation, of course, and as usual Al Jazeera has only released excerpts of the tape that it wanted to release. However, there was at least one statement ("...It is better for you not to fight the Muslims on their territory and we offer a long-term truce..." (Source) that led me to believe the offered truce would be in exchange for the USA leaving "Muslim" territory.

Oh, and I particularly like the part that says, " We are a nation that will not stab people in the back. " ROFL!

Does anyone think hes feeling the strain of losses of foot soldiers and leaders? He floated this idea about 1.5 years ago and nothing ever came of it.

Nah, I don't think he gives a fat flying fig about dead footsoldiers. Plenty more where they came from. As Battlewookie pointed out (much as it pains me to agree with him on anything), there are millions in Pakistan just waiting for the word. The entire mindset of Al Qaeda is martyrdom, death and destruction... so why would getting what they claim to seek upset them? It wouldn't.

I do think, however, that the recent losses of several of his inner-circle and high-echelon leaders has hurt a bit, though he'd never admit it. Even they are replaceable. The only thing I think would severely harm Al Qaeda for any length of time would be the simulataneous elimination of Bin Laden, Zawahiri, and in Iraq Zawahara(?). That would sow a bit of temporary chaos until they managed to crown a new King Killer of Infidels . ;)

Edit: The BBC has its own translation of a full text of the released message .

Edited by ~Di

"Yes, this truce would be an excellent chance for Al-Qaida to restore itself, and repair any damage done in Afghanistan and Iraq."

Yup. That's exactly it. It's the same tataic the Palestine terrorist group like Hamas use against Isreal.

They get their butts wupped, call a truce, then come back with a vengeance. The cycle repeats itself. Afterall, even these organizations have to replace dead members from time to time. Takes a while to brainwash people.

And just like the Palestinians, his country is being taken over by intruders who want more ressources.

I don't think either side is interested in a lasting truce.. it puzzles me however that Bin Laden would offer it, even if it is temporary... Since he has been proclaiming that they can never be defeated and believe themselves to have the one true faith and protection of their almighty God.. so why ask for peace? I know he's not an idiot and he's losing battles and "ground", so a truce would be in his interest to lick his wounds.. But this war is not a matter of losses or succeses, it's a war of conversion, a war to start a bigger war and in this regard I don't understand his offer...

edit:

It just hit me .. maybe he's offering this truce to give all of America's allies an opportunity to back out off or back up on an ending, to give the populations of every western country, who oppose the war, something new to which they can blame their goverments for "he offered peace and you keep on fighting!?" .. hmm maybe this is his goal?..

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

edit:

It just hit me .. maybe he's offering this truce to give all of America's allies an opportunity to back out off or back up on an ending, to give the populations of every western country, who oppose the war, something new to which they can blame their goverments for "he offered peace and you keep on fighting!?" .. hmm maybe this is his goal?..

Interesting hypothesis. Fire up the old PR machine and let it do what al Queda couldnt physically do.

But again, why? If losing bodies isnt an issue then what is?

Interesting hypothesis. Fire up the old PR machine and let it do what al Queda couldnt physically do.

war has never been about deaths .. it has been about the introduction or destruction of ideas! he wants to destroy Christianity and parts our culutre, we want to destroy parts of his! human casulties are just numbers to leaders, what matters is how many hear your word and how many agree with you..

Fortune favors the bald.

No truce will ever happen. These are fanatics. Even if "Bin Laden" agrees to a truce (which he will not long term), there will come along a new fanatic leader who will just pick up the fight.

A truce can never occur while there are still extremists and fanatics in the world.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

war has never been about deaths .. it has been about the introduction or destruction of ideas! he wants to destroy Christianity and parts our culutre, we want to destroy parts of his! human casulties are just numbers to leaders, what matters is how many hear your word and how many agree with you..

War is about money. Period. Religion is used to gather support, followers and recruit soldiers who will do anything for their God.

The US do the same thing, but you can add Flag as a means of recruitment.

These leaders should all be shot.

"And just like the Palestinians, his country is being taken over by intruders who want more ressources."

Oh really? Last I checked, Bin Lauden is Saudi NOT Iraqi or Afghanistan. On top of this, he sure murders alot of Iraqis and Afghanistanis.

His war is all about power, and domination.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"And just like the Palestinians, his country is being taken over by intruders who want more ressources."

Oh really? Last I checked, Bin Lauden is Saudi NOT Iraqi or Afghanistan. On top of this, he sure murders alot of Iraqis and Afghanistanis.

His war is all about power, and domination.

His war is about money. All wars are about money. Or ressources. Whoever controls those ressources has more money. And Power but you can't have power without money.

Who controls Saudi Arabia?

Edited by astr0creep

Bin Laden doesn't want a truce. He just wants Bush to say he'll never make peace, thus making him seem more like a warmongering nut.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

War is about money. Period. Religion is used to gather support, followers and recruit soldiers who will do anything for their God.

The US do the same thing, but you can add Flag as a means of recruitment.

These leaders should all be shot.

I don't agree.. but it's your use of words I don't agree with .. I agree that war is about power, but money is just a way to power.. not every war is about money! some are about ideas, some are about money/resources, some are just about annihilating another group (that's just power) ..

this war is about money and power for US, it's about ideas and power for Al Queda .. I don't think Bin Laden is any richer now than he was before, I would suspect it's the opposite..

Fortune favors the bald.

There won't be peace because US geopolitical and economic interests strech far and deep into the ME, plus the fact a vital part of US economy today is the military industrial complex which made the US economy a system whose survival depends on a state of constant war - therefor as long as the US exists in such form there will never be peace of any kind, not now, not ever.

Farewell and goodbye. :rolleyes:

Edited by Hildegard