Influence as DS and Charisma?

I've been looking a bit into influence information but found most of them to focus rather heavily on LS. Hence my question: does anyone have advice on creating an influential baddie? I've experimented somewhat with my DS consular, with rather limited success. No luck turning my companions into jedi (or rather sith) without taking severe LS penalties along the way.

The step-up to jedi itself seems to be the biggest hurdle: nearly all conversations appear to be LS-based (net LS shift, gah). Is there any way around that bar cheating/editing? Or are the jedi NPC's essentially intended for LS only?

On a related note: I've spotted a hint in the loading screens - yes, I actually read those sometimes - referring to charisma vs. influence. Something along the lines of "high charisma makes you more influential towards your companions". Can anyone confirm/deny whether this has any noticeable effect? Could this help me with my DS vs. influence predicament?

There is somewhere on this forum an influence guide.

But if you wish to gain full influence with your party members and turn them into Jedi, yes you do need to sacrifice some LS points to turn them, except for Atton.

Okay, here goes:

Turn Atton into a Jedi, you can gain some influence with him on Peragus by "agreeing" with him. Then, kill some innocents on Telos and I guess you have enough influence to turn him Sith.

Bao Dur, yes you do need some LS points. Talk "friendly" to him in the Telos Academy to gain some influence. But then, on Nar Shaddaa you have the opportunity to gain DS points and gain influence.

Force Persuade: "You two, give me all your credits and jump into the central pit"

Handmaiden can be trained without ever leaving the Ebon Hawk. Fight against her and spend some LS points and you could train her if you are above level 18.

Disciple is not difficult but indeed, you will have to sacrifice a lot of LS points to turn him Dark Jedi.

If you however come with DS mastery or at least high DS, you will have Hanharr in your party. You cannot turn Hanharr into Jedi but, there is a way to gain infinite DS points, 1000 xp, +2 Strenght, -2 Influence with Hanharr when you have been to Dxun and killed Kumus with Hanharr in your party.

It isn't exactly roleplaying but at least you don't have to worry about getting DS Mastery.

About the Charisma, I don't really believe there to be a way to gain influence and doing cruel things at the same time. I guess influence is based on the action and the line you give.

Master Vandar lives!

I was able to turn everyone except T3 to DS mastery by starting as LS then after the first Jedi Master planet I fell to the darkside. By doing that, I was able to get Mira and DS her because I went to Nar Shadaa first. The only reason I didn't get T3 to DS mastery was because I never used it to get the influence, but I used the on ship influence points to get it about half DS.

Edited by Cassidy

Hmmm... I'm not sure I understand whats being said here about "spending" LS points or getting DS mastery.

I've played through once LS and up to level 21 (Sentinel 15 Assasin 6) as DS and I don't think I was able to get any NPCs to Jedi except Atton as LS.

Is there some way to "track" the influence you gain with NPCs?

When you talk about "spending" LS points to turn NPCs to the DS does this mean you intentionally "say what they want to hear" and/or give LS responses to them even tho its out of character for you as a DS PC?

If so is this a manner of "exploiting" the system rather than a real "RP" option?? (unless you consider you are "lying" intentionally to manipulate them and since the game often "marks" dialoge options as "lying" can this really be seen as "legit" when the game does NOT mark the dialoge so?)

RE: LS or DS "mastery" does this occur automatically when you reach a certain shift point? Is it dependent on character level as well? Is it possible to get both in the same game by getting one then turning to the other?

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

There are two ways to turn your eligible NPC's into Jedi.

1) Be nice, and you can convert all of them. This results in a net LS shift. You can always get more DS points later, as there are plenty of opportunities to murder innocents.

2) Be mean to them, abusive, and lose as much influence with them, and you can convert them (except for Handmaiden, since she'll stop talking to you) to Jedi as opposite alignment to you.

There are two ways to turn your eligible NPC's into Jedi. 

1) Be nice, and you can convert all of them.  This results in a net LS shift.  You can always get more DS points later, as there are plenty of opportunities to murder innocents. 

2) Be mean to them, abusive, and lose as much influence with them, and you can convert them (except for Handmaiden, since she'll stop talking to you) to Jedi as opposite alignment to you.

So if I am abusive to them they will become LS Jedi (assuming I am DS)?? Is that even a benefit to me??

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

If you download the Kotor Savegame Editor you can just edit the amount of influence that you have with any given party member.

As far as LS/DS mastery, that merely means having your alignment maxed out to either extreme. For as long as it stays that way you get a bonus to some stats. And I'm pretty sure you can go back and forth in the same game.

Edited by DaveK